Best Way To Cook Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just picked up one of these tomahawks from Sam’s Club for tonight’s supper.
IMG_0815.jpg

When I was a kid, the only ways I ever saw steak cooked were on a charcoal grill or in the broiler. I was really surprised the first time I saw someone fry a steak. Now, that's how I usually do it.

Same here. Grill or broiler growing up. Mostly broiler as my parents worked.
I do fry steaks regularly and have learned how to fry and then in the oven for a minute or two and then a nice rest.
For the steak not me.......LOL

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I live in Antrim, in Northern Ireland. I usually buy sirloin, but it sounds like I need to look for something more tender. It sounds strange because someone who works in the butchers recommended sirloin for grilling. My husband and I both like our steak medium rare, so I guess I'm cooking if for too long, but I can't think how or when I lost the knack. I'm not even sure I'll get the opportunity to try again as dh doesn't want to risk eating another tough steak.

Gillian

I don't know how it is in the UK, but here I used to be able to buy sirloin and know what I was getting, because it used to be available with the bone in. The sirloin is a fairly large muscle, and it's not the same all the way through. The bone that it's attached to changes its shape from long and narrow to small and more or less round. The longer the bone (from about 4 inches or 10 cm at the longest end), the more tender the meat will be - my sister learned that gem of wisdom 40 years ago in home economics class when she was in high school and passed it on to me.

That worked very well for several years, until suddenly they stopped selling bone-in sirloin in grocery stores (probably because I wasn't the only shopper who would only buy that way), and from that point it became totally random as to what you got with a sirloin steak. I pretty much quit buying it.

I only get that cut now when I buy beef on the hoof and get all of the different cuts. For grilling I prefer rib eye, t-bone, or New York strip (the side of a t-bone opposite the tenderloin).

Same here. Grill or broiler growing up. Mostly broiler as my parents worked.
I do fry steaks regularly and have learned how to fry and then in the oven for a minute or two and then a nice rest.
For the steak not me.......LOL

The rest for you would be when you sit down to enjoy that delicious steak lol.

Our butcher sells Charolais beef, which is really tasty.

My husband eventually decided to try steak again, but we just bought it in the supermarket. I just fried it about 3 minutes each side, as per the packet instructions for medium done. They turned out fine, but I would still like to know the correct times for grilling steak or even oven cooking.

Gillian

The rest for you would be when you sit down to enjoy that delicious steak lol.

Our butcher sells Charolais beef, which is really tasty.

My husband eventually decided to try steak again, but we just bought it in the supermarket. I just fried it about 3 minutes each side, as per the packet instructions for medium done. They turned out fine, but I would still like to know the correct times for grilling steak or even oven cooking.

Gillian

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You can only go by the guidelines above and know what internal doneness temperature you want. Use an instant-read thermometer to determine when the steak is cooked enough, then put it on a serving plate, cover and let rest 10 minutes, then serve.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You can only go by the guidelines above and know what internal doneness temperature you want. Use an instant-read thermometer to determine when the steak is cooked enough, then put it on a serving plate, cover and let rest 10 minutes, then serve.

+1!!

Sorry for my not perfect English but i'm Italian.
Usually i take the steak at ambient temperature . I dry it with kitchen paper.
When I put the steak in the pan or on the grill the temperature must be hight .
Don't sting the steak with the fork. I put salt at the end.. I only turn the steak every 3 - 4 minutes.
When it is cooked i let the steak in the pan covered for some minutes to allow to the secrection and taste to be redistribuited inside the steak.
Marigio

Gristle is the connecting tissue between muscles that holds the muscles together, and, or tendons. Silverskin is a type of gristle. Chunks of cartilage is also called gristle. All of these are very chewy, with little flavor.Meat with lots of gristle are best prepared with slow heat - 200 to 300 degrees, and covered, as in a slow cooker, or roasting pan, usually with chopped onion, and seasonings, roasted to an internal temp of 180 degrees. This breaks down the gristle, turning it into a luxuriously soft texture.

Steaks with a lot of connecting tissue, or gristle can be made tender my blending papaya, fresh pineapple, or kiwi fruit into a sauce, and spreading all over the steak. Seal in a water-tight plastic bag, and let sit in the fridge for 3 days. These fruits contain an enzyme that will break down the gristle, and meat, making it tender. Simply rinse off the meat before cooking. The fruit flavor can't be tasted once it's rinsed off.If you are purchasing good beef, recognized by lack of gristle, and specks, or strands of fat flecks in the muscle tissue (the more the better), then packing the meat in salt, and letting sit for a day in the fridge will remove some of the water from the meat, concentrating the beef flavor. Just make sure to rinse off the meat before cooking. And everyone, remember these two truths about protein; acids and heat cause protein fibers to contract, effectively making the meat tough, and dry. That is why well-done steak is more challenging to make tender. When meat is cooked beyond 160; F.,it begins to toughen and dry out.

How you cook a good cut of steak will depend on the equipment you have, and how thick the steak is. For a half inch thick steak, pan frying, or grilling is great. Cook to 135' F. for medium rare, making sure to season both sides of the steak before cooing. For inch thick, and above, pan sear to create a flavorful crust on the steak surface, then finish in a 375 degree oven until medium rafe, again using a meat thermometer to know when it's done. Let the steak rest for about ten minutes before serving.

If cooking on the grill, over charcoal, heat a solid bed of coals until screaming hot, and place steaks directly on grill. Cover and cook for about 3 and a half minutes, flip and repeat. Test temperature. Again, let rest before serving, For thicker steaks, close vents halfway, and cook to proper temperature.

Enhoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, I bought a piece of chump steak from the butcher's next door, cut it in two and cooked it under the grill (broiler in American-ese - our word for your grill is barbecue) for 3 minutes each side - looked and tasted good to me. I had the meal all ready and served when I discovered that dh had wanted chips with it from the chippy, which meant going out for those and the steak going cold in the meantime. I reheated it, but instead of just warming up a bit, it cooked a bit more and became rather chewy. Sigh. At least dh was happy enough with it.

Gillian

I can't find this post by this user.
I keep getting a notification that this is a new post but can't find it and the "New" notification in my UserCP won't go away. It's stuck.

steak.jpg

I can't find this post by this user.
I keep getting a notification that this is a new post but can't find it and the "New" notification in my UserCP won't go away. It's stuck.

View attachment 35863

I'm not getting that. But, I did get an email notification that landed me at a reply from May, even though I had read it previously and it wasn't for the poster mentioned in the email.

I'm not getting that. But, I did get an email notification that landed me at a reply from May, even though I had read it previously and it wasn't for the poster mentioned in the email.

I didn't get an email notification but, I did get a May reply also..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom