Buttermilk Beef Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

240brickman

Senior Cook
Yes, I'm still grilling outdoors...it's going to have to be ALOT colder before I pack up my grill (and my smoker) for the season.

These ribs are at once tender, tangy, sweet and smoky; not a whole lot of work involved, either (just a little patience) :(

Buttermilk Beef Ribs

4-5 pound rack of beef ribs, cut into 2- or 3-rib racks

1 pint (16 ounces) buttermilk. Please make sure to use the kind that has "active cultures".

3 TBS dark brown sugar

2 TBS cider vinegar

1/4 cup of whiskey (optional)

1 TBS kosher salt

1 tsp whole peppercorns

several cups of brewed coffee, as necessary, cooled to room temperature (de-caf can be used, if desired)

In a blender or processor, combine the buttermilk, brown sugar, vinegar, whiskey, salt and peppercorns. Mix on high speed until the peppercorns are broken up somewhat (maybe 2 minutes).

Place the rib "half-racks" in a high-sided roasting pan, or something similar. It doesn't matter if they overlap each other a little. If desired, a couple of gallon-sized zipper-lock bags can be used instead. Pour the buttermilk mixture (half of the mixture per bag, if you're using the zip bag method) over the ribs. Add enough of the coffee to the pan (or bags) to increase the volume of liquid so that the ribs are saturated. Don't worry about completely submerging the ribs in the liquid; that's next to impossible!

If using the pan method, cover the pan with plastic wrap, or foil. The bags can simply be zipped shut. Refrigerate the ribs for anywhere from 1 to 12 hours. Flip the ribs in the pan every couple of hours (or simply shake the zipper bag).

Use paper towels to dry the ribs, and allow them to rest on a platter until you're ready to grill.

Light the grill, and allow it to come to medium-high heat. Liberally coat the ribs (both sides) with your favorite Rub Mix, or simply salt & pepper.

Grill for about 20-25 minutes, flipping the ribs every 5 minutes or so. If desired, your favorite barbecue sauce can be brushed on during the last 5 minutes.

Yield: about 4 servings

--J

Buttermilk? And beef Ribs? That got my attention.
I will print out this one and definetely try it, because if you cook them right beef ribs (they are larger than pork ribs) can be just "fall off the bone" delicisious!
And since I am cooking out more now that it has cooled down a bit I will try them soon.

I will have to try it also! The enzymes (correct me if I am wrong) do wonders on chicken and fish! At least in my own experience! Why not beef? gotta try it!

Back
Top Bottom