Corned Beef and Pastrami from Brisket
What's wrong with these recipes?
CORNED BEEF PASTRAMI, First Try (COMPOSITE FROM MORTON AND OTHER SOURCES) 09/15/12
Wet Sweet Pickle Cure (per Morton) - at a rate to cover meat
- 1 cup Morton plain sugar cure or Tender Quick per 4 cups cool water, = 4 Tbs* per cup water
+ 2 Tbs brown sugar
+ 1 Tbs Black pepper
+ 1 Tsp, each, paprika, bay leaf, all spice, coriander (all ground in mortar)
+1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Inject 1 ounce of pickle per pound of meat
- Wet cure, refrigerated, for 5 days per inch
- Pat dry and store refrigerated in evacuated zip-loc for up to 21 days
- Simmer for 1 .25 hours per pound
- Cut strength of wet pickle cure by 50%
- Halfway through pickle cure; remove from brine, dry and apply 1 Tbs per pound of smoke flavored sugar cure per pound, then insert in evacuated zip-loc and refrigerate.
- At end of curing process; rinse, pat dry and apply
0.5 Tbs/ lb coarse ground black pepper
0.1 Tbs/ lb coriander
0.1 Tbs/ lb granulated garlic
- Bake at 250F on rack over pan of water for 3/4 hour per pound
- Wrap in foil and cool to room temperature.
* 1 Tbs pink salt = ½ ounce