Recipe for filet mignon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The term "filet mignon" is a French derivative, the literal meaning is small (mignon) bone-less meat (filet). Cut from the small end of the beef tenderloin.

Depending upon what part of the United States you're in, the tenderloin muscle of the cow or short loin, becomes Filet Mignon, Chateaubriand, Tournedos, Medallions, or Filet de Boeuf. Filet Mignon is also know as Tenderloin Steak (in fact most often I see it as Tenderloin Steak).

Filet Mignon or Tenderloin Steak is a cut of meat that is considered the king of steaks because of its tender, melt in the mouth texture. It comes from the small end of the tenderloin (called the short loin) which is found on the back rib cage of the animal. Because this area of the animal is not weight-bearing, the connective tissue is not toughened by exercise resulting in extremely tender meat. Filet mignon slices found in the market are generally one to two inches thick and two to three inches in diameter, but true mignons are no more than one inch in diameter and are taken from the tail end.

As far as spices, anything that you like with beef. Check the recipes here in the beef section, I'm sure there are some good recipes for it. If you don't see anything you like holler. I'm sure someone will have another one.

Filet mignon, as Rainee explains, is a type (cut) of steak.

It is quite pricey and, IMO, should not be overly seasoned. Salt is a must and some pepper. That's enough for me, since the whole point of spending big bucks on filet is to taste the meat, not seasoning.

I save seasoning (eg, teriyaki, etc.) for lesser cuts that need more "dressing up."

Just a bit of info to add to Reinee's excellent post. I personally find the tenderloin to have less flavor than a good rib-steak, especially those cut closer to the shoulder, or chuck as it's normally called. As the chuck is weight bearing, it gets more blood, which in turn feeds the muscle tissue with more nutrients and added flavor. The rib-steak is still tender, and if from a gery good cow (USDA Prime), is very tender. Give me a Delmonico anytime over a Fillet Mingon.

The fillet, of course is a great cut for dressing up a meal. Wrap teh outside in bacon, Grill it over fire, set it on top of an artichoke heart, and maybe top with a portabella cap of about the same diameter (not in the original French recipe, but very tasty) and you have the classic tournedo.

In any case, you can't go wrong with what Rainee tells you. When it comes to beef and pork, she knows her stuff.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

ok

So, basically, beef tenderloin is best. Thank you so much.
You all are walking cooking enyclopedias:) . You all are great!

Beef tenderloin is considered the best texasgirl - but I'm with Goodweed on this one - give me a ribeye/Delmonico steak anytime.

Now that's not saying I haven't bought a few tenderloins in my time - cut into nice thick steaks. I like olive oil, salt, pepper, and I make a horseradish crust similar to the Wildfire Horseradish Porkchops recipe posted here. That's pretty tasty on the outside edge.

just a suggestion..try a dry rub of salt, pepper, and CARDAMOM! throw that bad boy (or girl) on the grill for about 3-4 per side...YUMMY!!!!

Just to clarify, mignon actually means "delicate" in french. So the steak filet is tender, not small (which is "petit" in french). And so far, I haven't found filet mignon at restaurants in France. :rolleyes: Of course, with all of the other great food, why look? :-p

Try this with your steak.

Rosemary and Port Wine Demi-Glace

Yield: 1/2 – 2/3 cups

Ingredients:

2 c. Veal or Beef Stock
1 c. Ruby Port Wine
2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
3 Shallots, finely minced
½ c. Leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
2 Bay Leaves
2 tsp. Canola Oil
3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Kosher salt to taste

Method:

Sauté the shallots and leeks in oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the port, and reduce until the liquid becomes thick and syrupy (it should be able to lightly coat the back of a spoon). Add the stock and bay leaves, bring to a boil, and then simmer until reduced by half. Lightly bruise the rosemary, add it to the sauce. Continue to reduce the sauce until approx 1/2 to 2/3 cups remain. Strain into a separate pan, then off the heat, whisk in the butter until it’s emulsified. Season to taste with the kosher salt.

**Because this sauce is concentrated, it is NOT meant to drench the meat in. 2-3 tablespoons of sauce will suffice because the flavor is so rich. You don’t want to overpower the meat.

Last edited:
I don't recommend any "spices" for filet mignon... they have very delicate flavor and can be overpowed easily and I personally find it difficult to cook a 1 3/4" or 2" filet mignon successfully on the stovetop alone, but then cooking is kinda new to me and I'm still learning ... I like my filet medium rare and to get that degree of doneness in a fry pan alone takes too long.. the crust can get too dark, as in "burnt" a bit... I guess I could cook it at a lower heat and longer... but I don't get that same "semi-charred" crust that way.

So, the solution for me is, if cooking indoors (which is rare 'cause I cook 99.44/100th % of my steaks on a Weber kettle using lump charcoal), to preheat my oven to about 425 degrees while I'm heating my heavy fry pan on the stove over medium high heat (5 minutes of so)... (I use a lodge cast iron pan but a good heavy stainless as in All-Clad or equivalent works too).

Then I just salt & pepper my steak, add a splash or two of olive oil in the heated pan and immediately toss the steaks in (I turn on my overhead vent 'cause there will be some smoke)...

I cook them on one side about 5 minutes (don't touch them.. just let them get a good crust), then turn them over and immediately put them in the oven (middle rack) for about 7 minutes.. that comes out medium rare for me... 5 minutes would be rare and 9 minutes would be medium well.. or thereabouts.

Then let them sit for at least 5 minutes before you cut into them.

On the Weber 22" kettle, I do about the same thing... I use lump which burns hotter than briquettes... after it gets going, I stack it heavy on one side and just a few pieces on the other.. then I sear the steaks for 3-4 minutes on the "hot" side (you could cook for 5 minutes if you're using briquettes).. then, with tongs, pick them up and turn them over and place on the "cool" side of the grill.. put the lid on.. finish my Guinness, and about 5-7 minutes later I have a nice medium rare filet mignon...

i like filet, but am another that prefers ribeye/delmonico. it's definately more flavorful and very tender. as for the filet, it requires very little in the way of seasoning. as was mentioned, salt and pepper. and forget about steak sauce. it's just not necessary. Ruth'sChris serves thier steaks in butter. so does my Grandpa. it's delicious.

We used to do 'everything' filet for catering gigs - you know, like 'everything' bagels; make a mixture of salt, pepper, dried garlic chips, dried onion chips, poppy seed, sesame seed. Oil the filet, then roll it in the mixture, and roast til med-rare.

Served it with a green-peppercorn mayo -

GREEN PEPPERCORN SAUCE

makes 2 ½ cups

2 cups mayo
¼ cup dijon
3T green peppercorns
2 cloves garlic
2T lemon juice

Blend in processor til smooth.

Being relatively new to the cooking scene, unlike most of you, I wanted to be sure I was talking about "apples & apples", so to speak. So I did some checking to be sure I was going to be "on topic" in this thread.. I found these definitions (among others) on the net.

1.) "The filet mignon is usually 1 to 2 inches thick and l 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter."
2.) "...fillet, filet — a boneless steak cut from the tenderloin of beef."
3.) "The noun filet mignon has one meaning: small steak cut from the thick end of a beef tenderloin."
4.) "The tenderloin runs along either side of the spine, and is usually harvested as two long snake-like shaped cuts of beef. The tenderloin is sometimes sold whole. If the short end of the tenderloin is cut into portions before cooking, that portion is known as Filet Mignon, or the filet." etc. etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ref: Dictionary definition of filet mignon:
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2004, 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. More from Dictionary
Food Glossary information about filet mignon
© 2002 HungryMonster.com™. All Rights Reserved. More from Food Glossary
WordNet information about filet mignon
WordNet 1.7.1 Copyright © 2001 by Princeton University.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tenderloindiagram.gif

I personally prefer other cuts of beef for my steaks... I'm not sure which I really prefer.. a ribeye, or "new york" strip, or a "t-bone" where I can have the best of both worlds. I have various reasons for preferring each... perhaps coinciding with the phase of the moon or the tides.. have to give it some thought which I'm not up to right now.

It might be interesting for someone to start a thread about tenderloin "roasts" and/or which beef steak is "best" and why... Everyone seems to have their own preference and reasons for it... there's another popular steak around here called a "hangar"? (sp?) .. a tougher cut of beef but supposedly with excellent flavor IF prepared properly...

If someone does, I'll probably kill the thread by posting to it later :) I'm going out to poach some more Dungeness Crab before they molt.

It might be interesting for someone to start a thread about tenderloin "roasts" and/or which beef steak is "best" and why... Everyone seems to have their own preference and reasons for it... there's another popular steak around here called a "hangar"? (sp?) .. a tougher cut of beef but supposedly with excellent flavor IF prepared properly...

There was a post already like this that someone started awhile back. You can search for that thread if you want.

A hanger steak is similar to flank or skirt steak in texture and flavor. You can interchange the three steaks in any recipe.

And send some of that crab down to LA will ya?

One nice addition to tenderloin, be it steaks or chateuabriand (sp?) is a nice crust of bleu or gorganzola cheese. If you combine that with a tad of horseradish & a bit of parmesan cheese, add it to the steak when it's almost done and toss it under a top broiler til it crusts. Simply heavenly!:chef:

One thing to keep in mind when grilling or broiling a fillet. It is typically not well marbled and thus is easy to dry out and ruin. The reason for the traditional wrap of bacon around the edge is to help maintain the moisture content of the the meat, not really for flavoring. I never cook a fillet more than medium rare. :chef:

Like others have said, I too prefer a rib-eye, either with or without bone, over a fillet.

Last edited:
Ironchef... you mean these things?
crabpot7.jpg

Sorry.. ya know Dungeness Crab is like s e x.. it's almost impossible to get too much :)

We cheated and bought some shrimp and frozen corn.. and I had to buy the mussels too although I can usually find some nice Penn Cove mussels.. not enough time... and cooked everything up like this...
crabpot10.jpg

Now that I've gone TOTALLY off-topic.. back to the topic...

Rob.. I'll drink to that... bleu cheese is GREAT (IMHO) on any steak... and I love fresh horseradish... if/when I can find it in the stores... `most people here look a fresh horseradish and ask the produce guys.. "what's THIS stuff?"

I remember the first time I did fresh horseradish.. I peeled it (not easy) and wanted to shred it but didn't have the right grater or something.. wasn't working.. so I cut it in chunks and tossed it in my food processor.. ran it for awhile until it was in very small "grains".. then I leaned over, opened the lid, and the fumes about flat knocked me on my back... AMAZING :rolleyes:

man.. there ain't NOTHING more potent that fresh horseradish I know off anyway,, but it's just so much better than the jar stuff... much better "personality"...

Now you all have me fired up to buy a whole tenderloin... cut my own steaks (much cheaper here).

RP...I've never wrapped them in bacon... great idea.. gonna try that... time for second cup of coffee.. back later.

Sure filet mignon is cheap. If you think four 16 ounce 2" thick bone in ones for $219.95 is cheap
Well, kleenex.. IF ya wanna shop on the Internet & buy PRIME grade tenderloin... you're obviously right... but I'm not sure Prime is THAT much better than Choice in a tenderloin.. by nature, a tenderloin really doesn't have much "marbling" anyway... so I'm kinda at a loss as to what makes it Prime.... or the difference.

Anyway, here (Seattle area) I can buy Choice tenderloin.. to be fashionable I can even get the "Black Angus" stuff (not sure it's any better though) at about $15.95-$18.95 per lb (less on sale).. and I can cut THREE steaks from one pound... about the right size, IMHO, for a "filet mignon"...

If I can get pretty good tenderloin here in Seattle (not known for good beef.. not too many cows swimming around in the Puget Sound lately), you can probably find some where you live at a "sane" price and not have to buy off the Internet..???

Be interested if anyone believes/finds Prime grade tenderloin to be worth the extra $10.00? per lb over Choice? However, I don't recall ever buying/having Prime grade in tenderloin either, except perhaps at a restaurant... so I'm not sure...

Back
Top Bottom