Does anybody think this is healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I'm as big a fan of Rick Bayless as anybody. But this looks to me like at least 6 ounces of fat, probably more, in a two taco serving. Watching the video I thought sure he'd sure he'd trim some of the fat after cooking.

Six ounces of fat is 168 grams and 1512 calories. I guess that would be a reasonable amount of fat for an entire day if you were consuming 5000 calories per day. That would be a lot for a 300 lb. NFL lineman during three-a-day practices. I guarantee you, Rick Bayless doesn't eat like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DR0hYF8cdU

When my friend was on a keto diet, she'd eat that much fat, and more, every day and still lost weight. However, I couldn't handle that much fat.

On the other hand, my husband would've loved it. He'd buy deep-fried pork belly from the local Hong Kong BBQ place, though only as a treat! not a daily diet. I suspect Rick Bayless doesn't eat that like every day, either.

I also love just about anything I have made from Rick Bayless's books, but, like you, I know to avoid some things. There are far too many things to make that will be just as good, with far less lard, or in this case, pork belly. I see a lot of Asian dishes with the pork belly that look delicious, but again, if I don't have to, why use it?

It is pretty much impossible to make anything with pork belly that can be considered "healthy." It is going to be high fat. Some Mexican food is very healthy, but at the same time, they also like to cook with manteca (lard).

CD

No, but it would make a great occasional treat.

I sometimes cook with rendered bacon fat and I use lard in my pie crust. Those, too, are occasional treats, although lard is not as bad as many people think.

Mexican cuisine is not known for being diet food. Even the salads are heavily doused with creamy dressings. If you want healthy, stick with Mediterranean.

Okay, I get your collective point. But my point was not to object to the use of pork belly but the percentage of fat in the dish. It isn't apparent from the still picture displayed in the youtube window, but watching the video it is clear that the whole slab of belly Bayless slices up in beginning is way more than 50% fat. If I don't trim any of that fat before serving half a pound of it, that is, in my own opinion irresponsible at the very least.

Consider bacon for breakfast. Bacon isn't the most healthful breakfast protein available but I certainly don't object to it in principle. I would have the same criticism if a respected and influential chef showed a video of himself serving two eggs, toast, and 16 strips of bacon in a single serving.

Or a famous influential baker promoted a bisquit recipe that was 50% lard by total volume.

Or if Nabisco suggested outright eating the whole package of Oreos in a single sitting.

I don't think Bayless actually meant to suggest eating that much fat in one meal. If asked about it directly, I'm sure he would recommend trimming some of the fat from at least half the slices shown in the video.

So I apologize if I seem to be on a soapbox here. I'm done with it now.

Last edited:
No, but it would make a great occasional treat.

I sometimes cook with rendered bacon fat and I use lard in my pie crust. Those, too, are occasional treats, although lard is not as bad as many people think.

There's nothing wrong with lard, it's healthier than butter in terms of omega and monosaturated fats, though I use use both. Nothing wrong with pork belly once in a while.

I totally agree with skilletlicker, an influential chef just showed us how to make a dish that's excessive for just one meal.

"There's nothing wrong with lard, it's healthier than butter in terms of omega and monosaturated fats"

Really. I thought sure, better than Crisco or margarine, but butter ?

T

"There's nothing wrong with lard, it's healthier than butter in terms of omega and monosaturated fats"

Really. I thought sure, better than Crisco or margarine, but butter ?

T

In terms of saturated fats, lard is healthier than butter. Lard is 41% saturated fat and butter is 68% saturated.....coconut oil is 92% saturated.

Eating refined and natural fat and oil is more healthy than starvation. Water is more healthy than oil or fat. We haven't used any refined fats or oils for 2.5 years now.

Back
Top Bottom