Makin' Bacon 2! Canadian too, eh!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. The pork-loin-soon-to-be-Canadian Bacon really firmed up nicely. And it's holding a nice round shape, too. Kind of a funky color in the picture. It doesn't look quite like that in person, but it has no smell, so I guess all is well. Hopefully that color translates into that pinkish color after it's smoked. The butcher told me if it's grayish in the middle it did not cure all the way through.

And the pork belly did not produce nearly so much liquid this time around. I don't have much to say about that. I'm sure it will be bacon tomorrow just like the last one was.

So into the fridge they go to dry out before smoking tomorrow. I'm going to use half apple and half maple this time.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 230
I've got high hopes for that Canadian bacon. I love Canadian bacon.

Progressing nicely, pac. I'll have to go get some Canadian bacon so I can try to imagine the taste you are experiencing.

For as many pork loins that I consume I'm still slapping myself in the head not knowing that that is what "back bacon" is.
So many years wasted...

Did not knowing keep you from making it?

Knowing made it a lot easier to make :)

I've never read of anyone making either Canadian or streaky bacon. I've read of folks making what is called buckboard bacon, which I thought they were making as a substitute because the ingredients for streaky or Canadian bacon were too elusive. They always compared it to other bacons, but in a second class sort of way.
And while pork bellies need ordered in special (here), had I known Canadian bacon was made from the common pork loin I would have attempted to make it a long time ago... or at least when I first got my smoker.

Well that didn't take long to be running at 220. Amazing what an 85F day will do. I'm throttling it back some now.
I'm also doing this belly fat cap up.
150 for the belly, 160 for the back.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 164
:yum:
I noticed the one end of the belly swelled up a little as it cooked.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 188
It's really windy here right now. Do you think I will smell that bacon soon? :rolleyes:

It looks great! :yum:

Thanks, Chopper.
I'm not sure about in Colorado, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to smell it soon.

I'm really letting it cool well this time before slicing it, since a lot of it it will be sliced thinner.

Thanks, Chopper.
I'm not sure about in Colorado, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to smell it soon.

I'm really letting it cool well this time before slicing it, since a lot of it it will be sliced thinner.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Are you serving brunch this weekend?

Brunch, breakfast, lunch, dinner... :LOL:

And there ya have it. Another makin' bacon journey.
I still need to give the bacons the "cooked" taste test :rolleyes: but early samplings are a go. The big elation, or sigh of relief, was slicing into the Canadian bacon and seeing that it cured all the way through. The butcher had said it would be gray in the middle if it wasn't. And like I said earlier, most recipes call for a wet brine.

Here's the last of the pics. Even an action shot. Well, psuedo action shot, I'm not that stupid to be taking pictures with one hand and running a meat slicer with half of another :ermm:
If you look closely you can see the fat larding up by the blade. I didn't have that happen with the first belly, but it was a lot warmer when I sliced it, so maybe that affected things.

I got 4 lbs of streaky bacon and 1-1/4 lbs of Canadian.

Attachments

• Canadian Bacon.jpg
    Canadian Bacon.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Slicing Bacon1.jpg
    Slicing Bacon1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 189
  • Slicing Bacon2.jpg
    Slicing Bacon2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 187
Back
Top Bottom