Pork Belly Recipe Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookery

Assistant Cook
I am trying a skinless pork belly recipe and it calls for 1.5 lbs. I have 4 lbs. The recipe says slow roast at 200 F for 6 hours. Will this work for 4 lbs? If not, what length of time?

The answer to your first question is no. The answer to the second is less than straightforward. For most meats, divide the cooking time by the weight to get the cooking time/pound, and apply that to the larger cut of meat.

In your case, 6 hours for 1.5 pounds = 4 hours per pound. So 4 pounds would equate to 16 hours. With that said, and while it is hard to overcook fatty cuts of pork, 200° F seems really low to oven roast pork, so keep an eye on it.

Not disagreeing, but my question is, if it is just a large piece of pork belly but the same thickness, wouldn't the cooking time be the same? And, is pork belly a specific thickness or are there some thicker ones?

I make Momofuku's pork belly from time to time. Here's the link for a 6 pound piece of pork belly. Even with a smaller piece, I only shorten the cook time a little bit because the low cook is tenderizing the meat.

If you cook it for 16 hours even at that low temp, you'll be sorry.

https://food52.com/recipes/28063-momofuku-s-pork-buns

Last edited:
Not disagreeing, but my question is, if it is just a large piece of pork belly but the same thickness, wouldn't the cooking time be the same? And, is pork belly a specific thickness or are there some thicker ones?

There are different thicknesses, even on the same piece of pork belly unless you trim off the thinner parts. Just like with people, pigs come in different sizes.

If someone could look at the recipe and let me know if it is possible for me to make with this piece of meat or if I should just try something else. The pork belly piece I have is about 11 inches square btw.

Yes, except for they made a mistake in that version. It is 1 1/2 lbs, not 1/2 lb. But yes, that is the recipe. Thanks for looking.

How much does yours weigh? Nevermind, 4 pounds I see. let me look at recipe

Last edited:
You should be fine though I would probably cut it into 2 equal pieces and wrap each separately.

My DH makes pulled pork on his smoker at 225 and for a 9 pound bone-in piece of pork it takes 10-12 hours. It comes out really tender and you can actually just pull the bone right out of the meat.

I just realized, how thick is it? 4 pounds for an 11" square piece. It must be really thick.

Perfect. Will 6 hours likely be enough? Also, is it all right to stick a thermometer through the foil to check for 145 and just keep going if it is not ready?

Perfect. Will 6 hours likely be enough? Also, is it all right to stick a thermometer through the foil to check for 145 and just keep going if it is not ready?

I would allow an extra hour or so just in case. Are you refrigerating 8 hours or overnight as recipe says? The reason for that is to get clean sharp cuts when you slice the meat. It also allows you leeway on the cooking time.

Yes, you can check the temp through the foil. Just wait until minimum cooking time is up so you aren't poking a whole bunch of holes in the meat and letting out juices.

I read the recipe ingredients on the blog. I read it as ONE - 1/2 pound not 1 1/2. So they are using only 1/2 pound of pork belly.

Below my comments are what was was on his site - foodwishes

But maybe he meant one 1/2 pound pork belly. Instead of 1 1/2 pounds. What do you think?

Ingredients for 6 appetizer-sized portions :
1 1/2 pound pork belly, skin removed
season generously with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika
- Wrap as show and roast for 6 hours at 200 F. (*Note: I said 5 1/2 in the video, but my pork was almost room temp, so I’m adding 30 minutes since most people will use chilled meat)
- Chill, cut into serving sized pieces and crisp up in reserved fat before se

Well, I'm cooking. Cut it into two 2 lb. pieces and I am going to roast it at 225 F for 6 hours, then check. Seems like an acceptable middle ground. If anyone sees the post in the next 6 hours and thinks a change is needed, there is still time :) Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll use this forum from now on.

Below my comments are what was was on his site - foodwishes

But maybe he meant one 1/2 pound pork belly. Instead of 1 1/2 pounds. What do you think?

Ingredients for 6 appetizer-sized portions :
1 1/2 pound pork belly, skin removed
season generously with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika
- Wrap as show and roast for 6 hours at 200 F. (*Note: I said 5 1/2 in the video, but my pork was almost room temp, so I’m adding 30 minutes since most people will use chilled meat)
- Chill, cut into serving sized pieces and crisp up in reserved fat before se

For 6 appy portions, yes I think he meant one 1/2 pound pork belly.

I'm still curious about how thick it is given that it's 11 inches square and 4 pounds. That seems like it would be really, really thick, which will affect cooking time.

Cut your 4 pound pork belly into three pieces. Each will be close to 1.5 pounds. Then follow the recipe. You can cook one of the three pieces or all of them.

Back
Top Bottom