Pork-must have some ratings- or does it``

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robt

Senior Cook
I have been told that it matters not where you buy your pork 'cause it isn't graded.

Can any one tell me if that is true? My butcher says its only true if you look to the fed. In the real world, Pork is rated/graded .

I don't know how but I want to. Who can help?

While there is a grading system used for pork at time of slaughter, it is not a major factor at the foodservice level and you will generally not see pork sold by grade as with beef.

I've never seen a rating system, BUT, there sure is a difference in quality when I shop for pork. I buy from one particular store because the pork is always tender. Other sources aren't as good.

The best Pork I have ever had is from Niman Ranch...more expensive but worth every penny..never dry..always juicy no matter how you cook it. You can check them out on their web site....dont faint when you see their prices!!!

I worked as a meat clerk for many years for a small supermarket chain. There are some very good brands out there. Hormel and Armour have very good pork. Ask your meat cutter what brand you are buying. If you like it, stick with it. If not try another market that usually carries a different brand. Donna

Yes,there is a system I use.
Lean pork
Fat Pork
Fatter Pork
Fattest Pork(this is the best)..Bacon is in this category.

Back
Top Bottom