ISO ways to cook squirrel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had some feral hogs spotted (and one shot) about 20 miles from me. No cougars up in my neck of PA to keep them in check.
And the game commission, in their infinite wisdom, pulled together a meeting and layed down the law in Dec. that there will be no more shooting of feral hogs until they decide how best to control them.
So it's only a matter of time before they become a problem for the farmers around here.

And the game commission, in their infinite wisdom, pulled together a meeting and layed down the law in Dec. that there will be no more shooting of feral hogs until they decide how best to control them.

That does not make a whole lot of sense. Around here, they went to the media to encourage people to shoot every feral hog on sight.

No it doesn't. Especially when they are labeled an "invasive" species.
I guess thay had rooted up quite a bit of the dormant corn field where they were spotted. And from what I've heard, ferel hogs don't run away when they see you.... they are more than likely to charge you.

Hopefully the wildlife commission, in their collective "wisdom", will declare "Open Season" on those feral hogs, just like OK did. Especially when they do tend to charge you instead of run, it comes down to a case of self-defense. They're pretty tasty, to. I've had feral hog before. Yummy!

It's true that wild hogs charge you rather than run. We're having a problem with them in Texas, too. Even down at the coast, you can't drive 5 miles without seeing several hit ones on the side of the road. They are everywhere. And they not only ruin crops but they will destroy landscaping. Kinda like deer, that we've had a big problem with in San Antonio for the last 20 years or so.

Believe it or not, we have them here in Culpeper County (as well as Madison & Orange Counties), VA, too. Apparently it began around 4 years ago when an elderly farmer passed away & the group of pigs he had either got loose or were released. Well, one thing led to another, & now they've been breeding for several years & more than a few landowners have had problems with the porkers having large "family gatherings" in their fields & crops. A couple of years ago the local newpaper sported a front-page pic of two guys with an absolutely HUGE member of this wild herd hoisted up on a winch in the back of their pickup after a day's hunting. Unfortunately, after several generations, the pigs are a LOT smarter than they used to be, & apparently are extremely difficult prey. And Animal Control & the various other Ag & Game agencies have simply branded them "nuisance game", & that's that.

I haven't seen any around my place, but understand that a sow with more than dozen piglets was spotted about 10 miles away, so they're definitely around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom