Antiques

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
Anyone watch the antiques road show on public tv? How would you go about getting an appraisal for your precious objects? I bought an antique trunk ages ago and wonder what it's worth, and a rocking chair that was given to me. I guess I could visit an antique shop to see if I see something similar to get an idea of it's value. Any suggestions?

yes, how about just asking an antiques dealer?
he will probably give you the best estimate, because he may assume you want to sell it to him.
i'm in the same boat; my Grandfather is giving me a red depression glass set and while i wouldn't sell it for anything, i would like to know its value.

Hey, amber! I don't really like to comment on this type of thing but I love watching 'Antiques Roadshow' and I've gathered enough information to come to this conclusion: Your run-of-the-mill antique shop owner knows next to nothing about antiques so I wouldn't trust them to give you an accurate apparaisal. Beyond that, I honestly don't know besides contacting insurance companies, which would probably be a painful process. I'm hoping someone else here can help you!

luvs_food said:
yes, how about just asking an antiques dealer?
he will probably give you the best estimate, because he may assume you want to sell it to him.
i'm in the same boat; my Grandfather is giving me a red depression glass set and while i wouldn't sell it for anything, i would like to know its value.

Thanks luvs, I'll give it a try just to see what they say for an estimate, taking into consideration what dampcharcoal mentioned that they may not know much as far as appraisals, but probably thinking I want to sell my items. Depression glass is worth something, not sure what, but it's valuable.

DampCharcoal said:
Hey, amber! I don't really like to comment on this type of thing but I love watching 'Antiques Roadshow' and I've gathered enough information to come to this conclusion: Your run-of-the-mill antique shop owner knows next to nothing about antiques so I wouldn't trust them to give you an accurate apparaisal. Beyond that, I honestly don't know besides contacting insurance companies, which would probably be a painful process. I'm hoping someone else here can help you!

Thanks Damp, I've noticed on antiques road show that most appraisal are based on the insured value. I wonder what insurance companies charge to do that, and do they come to you or do we have to bring our items to them?

Hello
I collect antique silver and china - and also own a few items of Georgian furniture.

The US Antiques Roadshow is based on the BBC TV series. Here's the website for the UK version, which is full of handy hints.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/antiquesroadshow/priceguide/

Again, I don't know about the US, but the UK has a set of reference books with information about silver hallmarks, styles etc. Miller's Antique Guides are well-known here, too - they have illustrations of many of the types of furniture, silver, jewellry etc and their 'current' value.

I subscribe to the magazine "Country Home". And within its pages is a section where people can write and submit a photo of their piece and get answers to this type of question. So you may consider this. Or maybe google "appraisal fair" and see if there are any close to where you live. I know our town has them about once a year.....for a fund-raiser. Hope this helps!

I do this for a living if you can get me some close shots of the items I perhaps can help you out . I also sell jewelry. I collect coins and have done this for over 30 years. Sold coins for more than 20 years along with watches and clocks. Have been known for repairing the ladder and electronic items.

I have gone to e-bay and serached for things I have to determine their value based on the sales/bidding prices. Sometimes helpful.

Ishbel said:
Hello
I collect antique silver and china - and also own a few items of Georgian furniture.

The US Antiques Roadshow is based on the BBC TV series. Here's the website for the UK version, which is full of handy hints.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/antiquesroadshow/priceguide/

Again, I don't know about the US, but the UK has a set of reference books with information about silver hallmarks, styles etc. Miller's Antique Guides are well-known here, too - they have illustrations of many of the types of furniture, silver, jewellry etc and their 'current' value.

Thanks Ishbel. From your info I then went to the U.S. version of the antiques road show which helped a bit to explore the types of American antiques.

SizzlininIN said:
I subscribe to the magazine "Country Home". And within its pages is a section where people can write and submit a photo of their piece and get answers to this type of question. So you may consider this. Or maybe google "appraisal fair" and see if there are any close to where you live. I know our town has them about once a year.....for a fund-raiser. Hope this helps!

Thanks sizzlin, I googled appraisal fairs, and went to a site (ivillage) that then showed a link to country and home magazine, which do free appraisals. I also googled the trademark name on my trunk which brought up some facts. Thanks for the help.

Maidrite said:
I do this for a living if you can get me some close shots of the items I perhaps can help you out . I also sell jewelry. I collect coins and have done this for over 30 years. Sold coins for more than 20 years along with watches and clocks. Have been known for repairing the ladder and electronic items.

Ok, thanks Maidritre. I am mostly interested in knowing the history of this trunk, when it was made and the purpose of it. I know the maker.

norgeskog said:
I have gone to e-bay and serached for things I have to determine their value based on the sales/bidding prices. Sometimes helpful.

Thanks Norg, I did try ebay today just to get an idea of similar items, but there was no items for antique storage trunks. It brought up woolen swim trunks lol, and then luggage trunks. None of which I have, but the search continues.

Just a thought, Amber - but in the UK we call the item an antique chest rather than a trunk.... perhaps if you googled for that?

I've got a couple of chests - one is Jacobean oak and was used to store clothes - a 'flat' wardrobe if you like.... the other was used by an ancestor to carry his possessions from his home in the highlands of Scotland to university in Edinburgh. I really love this one, as you can see the hard knocks the poor 'kist' (Auld Scots word for chest) has endured!

Back
Top Bottom