Thickening Alfredo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahhh, thanks i finally got my homemade pasta down last night and did bow tie but the alferdo wasn;t the best. I'll try what you guys said. What about the heavy whipping cream? what should i use instead?

I have no idea what i am doing wrong, the Alferdo sauce i am making taste like it, but it is really bland.

My first guess is that it is the quality of your ingredients. With something that has so few ingredients, the quality of each is very important. Also, do not forget the salt. Lots of people try to stay away from salt, but it is needed to bring out flavor.

i used mayfield heavy cream, "imported from Italy" parm, and reg butter with a little fresh parsely.

I have no idea what i am doing wrong, the Alferdo sauce i am making taste like it, but it is really bland.

Yep, you just have to add more salt an pepper. Make sure you saute some garlic first too. Don't add all your salt right away, wait until your Parmesan cheese melts first. Then taste. If it tastes bland it's because there's not enough salt, or cheese. You want a hefty amount of cheese in there.

You just have to cook on medium to medium-low and stir so it doesn't boil over. It may take as long as 20 minutes or so to thicken.

If you really want to boost the flavor chop up some sun dried tomatoes that have been in olive oil. Add those along with the oil that comes off them. NICE flavor in there!

It might be the quality of your cheese. What kind of parm? Parmegiano Reggiano? Alfredo Sauce needs top quality cheese. For the taste and texture, not for thickening.

Also, like GB said, you need to add some salt.

Can you post your recipe??

ya it was parm reggiano

1/4 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups of parm
2/3ish of heavy whipping cream
a tad of garlic
some parsley

Was the parm pre-shredded or did you shred it yourself?

There is no salt on that list so that is still what I am sticking with.

I never measure salt. I just take a pinch or two of kosher salt (so that I can pinch it) and start with that. Taste the sauce and see if it needs more. The key is to keep tasting until you get the right amount.

Sometimes I put a touch of fresh ground nutmeg to my cream sauces.

But yeah, you need some seasoning in there. Cook that recipe long enough and it will thicken. I run a wooden spoon over the pan. When the trail stays clear for a second or two I add the pasta then cook for another minute or so, tasting for proper seasoning as I go.

definitley the salt and pepper.... to taste...

I generally undersalt my food.... I have noticed when eating at "home" that my mom tends to do the same... probably because my youngest brother and step-dad are salt fiends and will pile it one anyway. I think my taste is adjusted to this lack of salt. I rarely will shake salt over my food.

When I cook for other people I have to remember to salt more than I would like but sometimes I oversalt by accident

Your alfredo NEEDS salt but use caution and add to taste it is easy to go overboard and there is no return from the brink..... ovesalting is a good way to get kicked off your favorite cooking reality show:-p

a sprinkle of coarse kosher salt and ground pepper along with some fresh parsley on top add a nice finishing touch to an alfredo IMHO

Good Luck

You can post a recipe for refried beans on the internet and call it alfredo and Google will pick it up if you search for alfredo recipes. That does not make it legit.
I saw a recent recipe for alfredo with cream cheese in it, OH it was so good. I've started using alfredo on pizza and I LOVE IT!
Let's post alfredo recipes with butter, cream cheese, cream and parmesan and call them 'low calorie'. :LOL::LOL::LOL:~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom