How do you cook eggs with a stainless steel pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocturnal

Assistant Cook
I have an 8" SS All-Clad pan and people say to heat it up and then put the oil in then the egg. However SOMETIMES it won't stick but more times than not it STICKS! Please help!

We have ONE non-stick pan that we use solely for eggs and hence its name: The Egg Pan.

Without inordinate amounts of fat to lube things up, I have not had much luck cooking eggs in a SS pan.

Chiffonade is right. SS needs obscene amounts of fat to release eggs.

Not being a huge fan of non stick pans, I have found other materials that work well with eggs, though. Ceramic coated iron works great as does well seasoned cast iron.

chiffonade said:
We have ONE non-stick pan that we use solely for eggs and hence its name: The Egg Pan.

Without inordinate amounts of fat to lube things up, I have not had much luck cooking eggs in a SS pan.
My mom had what we called the egg pan too. Hers was a cast iron pan. We didn't dare touch that pan for anything other than eggs!

:) Barbara

My mom had what we called the egg pan too. Hers was a cast iron pan. We didn't dare touch that pan for anything other than eggs!

Your mother probably worked very hard to season that pan just right. It was probably ten bucks pre-seasoned but in my opinion, it's got to be worth $10K now! I'm always scouting yard sales for old cast iron. I used to find a lot of it in Colorado but no one seems to use it here in FL. Maybe it's because plastic rusts here :roll: .

The only way I have found to do it is to use a lower (somewhere between low to medium) heat, swirl the oil around to make sure the bottom of the pan is completely coated before adding the eggs, and don't let the eggs sit in one spot for more than about 10-15 seconds. It's not foolproof, but I had less problems that way.

I must admit that I , too, have a non-stick pan for eggs - it's just so much easier and requires less oil.

chiffonade said:

Your mother probably worked very hard to season that pan just right. It was probably ten bucks pre-seasoned but in my opinion, it's got to be worth $10K now! I'm always scouting yard sales for old cast iron. I used to find a lot of it in Colorado but no one seems to use it here in FL. Maybe it's because plastic rusts here :roll: .

Seasoning a cast iron pan is one of the easiest things to do. You rub the pan inside and out with Crisco, lay it upside down in your oven and heat the pan at 350 for one hour. Bingo!!! Seasoned. You can't wash the pan with soap, just very hot water and a stiff brush. Nothing could be easier and eggs don't stick once the pan has been used about a dozen times.

Re: How in God's name do you cook eggs with a SS pan?

Nocturnal said:
...SOMETIMES it won't stick but more times than not it STICKS! Please help!

Funny! I was just thinking about my SS skillet that is soaking in the sink right at this very moment due to freak incident with some turkey sausage. So very true. SOMETIMES it sticks, some times it doesn't. WHY is that? LOL!

Simple cupcake - turkey sausage doesn't have enough fat to cook in a stainless steel pan without adding extra oil - even if you cook it at VERY low temp you have to add some oil. The only "no-oil" alternatives would be to poach it, bake it, or broil it.

VegasDramaQueen said:
Seasoning a cast iron pan is one of the easiest things to do. You rub the pan inside and out with Crisco, lay it upside down in your oven and heat the pan at 350 for one hour. Bingo!!! Seasoned. You can't wash the pan with soap, just very hot water and a stiff brush. Nothing could be easier and eggs don't stick once the pan has been used about a dozen times.

Yes, that gets it started but after years of use, the interior of a frequently used cast iron pan is like teflon!

Hey chiffonade... goood to see you.. bege was asking about you a couple days ago

I answered this in another similar thread. I think it was on this board. Might have been on FN's board.

When I fry eggs in stainless steel, the most immediate requirement is that the pan be absolutely clean. It must be polished smooth. If there are any mineral, food, or baked on oil deposits in the pan, the eggs will stick. So, clean the pan with a stainless steel cleaner such as Bar Keeper's Friend or my favorite, Cameo (I like this brand because it comes in a rust proof all plastic shaker).

Once you have a clean pan, heat it slowly. No higher than medium heat. When the pan is hot, add enough oil to generously coat the pan. Fry the eggs. If the eggs still stick, lower the heat even more for the next batch of eggs.

I use a non-stick for my eggs too. But I used to cook my scrambled eggs in a stainless pan by dropping one pat of butter in, then heating it until it turned
brown. Then I'd drop my eggs in and let it sit for a little bit, setting on the bottom. Then I'd cook til done. Most of the time I had no sticking at all and the pan could be cleaned with just one clean paper towel. My folks always wondered why I was the only one that could do that!

You might try polishing the pans too.

I use non-stick Calaphon skillets all the time. Life is to short to spend scrubbing pots and pans.
In a former life, my ex-MIL gave me a well-seasoned cast iron skillet that I used to make eggs for her baby boy. I fried bacon in it too...still didn't stick. All I did was wipe it out after use. I left it there when I left him, but I don't know why. He didn't even know how to turn on the stove.

Big Dog, I assume you are referring to health risks caused by the teflon. I've been using it for 40 years, and so far, so good. If it kills me in the next 20 years, well...we've all gotta go sometime. As a smoker, I'm already a risk-taker.

My SIL just gave me two cast iron pans..one is a 3 1/2 " and the other is an 8".. are you saying I should never use soap?? I remember my parents had them (wish I had them now) but I think we did use soap..
I have a dutch oven I never use because the lid always rusted when the droplets od water formed on the inside of the lid.
Dove

As was mentioned, stainless has to be very, very clean. I heat mine dry and then add oil or butter to it. I let the egg cook over a medium heat until the white is set. Rarely does the egg stick. I can usually use the wrist flip method in both of my stainless pans as the eggs just slide around on the cooking surface.

I love my cast-iron. It is as slippery as the best teflon. But it doesn't lend itself to wrist-fliping anything. It's too heavy for that and the sides rise at too sharp of an angle from the flat bottom, where my stainless has sides that rise in a gentel crurve from the bottom.

To season the cast-iron, I don't want to wait for 12 uses before they work properly. So I accelerate the process. I brush with oil and throw on a very hot charcoal grill and let bake until it quits smoking. I then rub in more oil while the pan is still hot and bake again. After about three to four coats, she's ready for cooking.

I have used this method both in the oven and on the stove top. In the oven, I bake it at 450 and on the stove top, I use the highest heat setting on my gas stove. But when doing this in the house, I have to be alone as the windows all have to be wide open, with a fan assisting air transfer out of the house. The pans generate considerable smoke. I also have to cover the smoke alarms. But then, I can be an extreme kind of guy when I want to accomplish something. I recomend you use the outdoor method, or use the 350 degree oven method and twelve or so cooking sesions before expecting you cast iron to work well.

Alternately, use the 350 degree oven method, and then deep fry something in the pan. This will quickly season it as well. And I agree that you don't use soap to wash cast iron. Just hot water and a stiff brush will clean it up with minimum fuss and effort. And never put it in the dishwasher!

seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom