Carbon Steel Pan Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riverofwind

Assistant Cook
Hi I just did two oven seasonings of my new Made-In blue carbon steel frying pan. The online instructions from Made In for the pan here say to avoid eggs and fish on a freshly seasoned pan and instead fry food high in proteins and fat like bacon to further develop the seasoning. However bacon instructions here from Made In say to wait to cook bacon until you have a properly seasoned pan. Considering 99% of the time I only cook fish and eggs how do I approach this? Should my pan be good to cook fish and eggs now? Should I first cook something fatty to help develop the seasoning further? Anything else to know?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the whole notion of seasoning pans has become a bit intimidating or overdone.

People have been cooking in cast iron and carbon steel pans for many, many, generations with good results.

I would use it like any other pan.

A little oil or cooking spray and allow the pan to come up to temp before adding the eggs, fish, etc…

The other day I saw an add for seasoning oil at $20.00/8 ounce bottle of what is essentially flaxseed oil.
1689539254867.png

Please, let us know how you make out with your new pan.

You've done your seasoning as instructed. I, personally, would just go ahead and cook in it. Time and use will take care of any further seasoning. Be gentle, don't abuse it. You'll be fine!@
Welcome to DC!

For peace of mind, season another layer or two then try frying an egg. No harm will be done, It just might stick. All the cautions are so the buyer (you) won't have food stick in a pan everyone says is non-stick.

I wouldn't worry about seasoning it more for now. Just use some extra butter the first few times until you learn how that pan handles eggs. And fish. But skip the scramble and omelette for now I think.

My 10" Matfer has a spot on the side that fritatta sticks to still but that isn't a deal breaker.

Is this one of those thin steel pans with metal handles' thats oven safe? I have been considering getting one.
It would give my other pans a break and I like the idea of being able to use high heat for things like scallops.
Any suggestions?
OP. I did not mean to derail your thread.

May I suggest a YOUTUBE channel - Uncle Scott's Kitchen. He has quite a few videos dealing with carbon steel pans and imho his recommendations are spot on.

Frying bacon is one of the best ways to season a carbon steel or cast iron skillet.
I thought about saying that, but a lot of bacon for sale (at least here) is very wet and actually sticks!
Maybe thats why they say not to use it?
Home made bacon would certainly work, or otherwise starting the pan from cold and on a low fire.

But if I were you, I would just start using it. In the worst case you have to re-do it ;)

Actually a lot of bacon here is also very wet in the packages. I dry it with paper towels.
Plus bacon should always be started in a cold pan and heated up very slowly. I never cook it on a high heat. Medium high at most.
By that time enough fat has rendered to keep it from sticking.
Also, and I find that a lot of people make this mistake, stay with it! don't leave the stove!

Actually a lot of bacon here is also very wet in the packages. I dry it with paper towels.
Plus bacon should always be started in a cold pan and heated up very slowly. I never cook it on a high heat. Medium high at most.
By that time enough fat has rendered to keep it from sticking.
Also, and I find that a lot of people make this mistake, stay with it! don't leave the stove!
This.

Don't lookat me. I have two carbon steel frying pans, but I cook my bacon a pound at a time on a cookie sheet and cooling rack in the oven. 375F for 18 to 22 minutes. Less mess, more captured bacon squeezin's.

Don't lookat me. I have two carbon steel frying pans, but I cook my bacon a pound at a time on a cookie sheet and cooling rack in the oven. 375F for 18 to 22 minutes. Less mess, more captured bacon squeezin's.
Have you ever tried dredging the bacon in a bit of flour prior to oven cooking it? Dredge & shake off excess.
smileys-cook-335170.gif

Can't see the sense in that on its own.
However, :) when you wrap bacon around something to cook, it goes one of two ways - over cooked and item still raw or undercooked and item still raw.

Perhaps dredging it in flour will allow done and still crispy and the item also done nicely.... hmmm

@Roll_Bones Yup my pan's one of those that's oven safe with a steel handle. Made In actually recommends oven seasoning if you have an electric or induction stove IIRC.

This is the first pan I've bought with a learning curve but I'm getting the hang of things. Fried some salmon the other night and only a tiny part stuck to the pan. I previously tried moving it around right after placing it on the pan instead of waiting for it to release on its own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom