Kitchen tools you need two of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could never get the hang of using chopsticks gracefully either, Casey. I'm pretty clumsy with them so I just use the ol' metal 4 prongers, too. :LOL:

Chopsticks... I'm determined to master them. I have been using them for a lot of the cooking, especially turning things in the pan.

Some days I'm an absolute genius with them. I can pick up a single grain of rice or a bean sprout, then I can bite a won ton or morsel of chicken in half still hanging on to the other half, waving it around while yakking. :cool: I even impress myself.
But most days I end up with bruises on my digits from gripping so hard as to almost crack them. Plus a very happy dog who is more than willing to "pick up" the pieces that routinely "fly through the air with the greatest of ease".:(

Think I am the 'gadget' queen around these here parts. Multiple spatulas (2 fish turners, large and small) multi multi wooden spats and spoons, 5 whisks + 2 Danish bread whisks. But I could never find anything until I finally put them on the counter top - so 7 mason jars later - each with their own type of tool, serving/stirring spoons, wood spoons & spats, rubber spats, whisks, mops, little fine sieves, Drawer has things like can opener, ladles, potato ricer, salad tongs, extra knives that don't fit in the counter knife block.

E-gads .. I could go on and on! and baking paraphernalia? 4 sets small measuring stacking cups, glass cups from 8 down to a couple of 1 cups - teaspoon sets, well... they're in bits and pieces as I either lose or break some. but still have portions/complete sets counting about 6.

Cookie trays... last year I bought a non-stick madelaine cookie baking sheet - I'm now 73 years old and never in my life have I ever baked any. LOL but I want to and I now have the cookie sheet to do so - and some day I will!

OK, shut up dragn - I think they get the picture :glare:

I have very few kitchen drawers. Four, to be exact. One holds spices, one holds silverware, one holds the knives that aren't in my block, and the skinny one is my "junk drawer", so I can't accumulate much junk. With few drawers and cabinets, I also have a limited amount of counter space. So what's a gadget freak to do? Put an old dresser to use! Himself reinforced the drawers, I oiled up the wood (since I couldn't decide on how to finish it), and I use it for my hand tools, baking pans (but not sheet pans), and most cooling racks. Since taking these photos I have weeded out a few items...but not many! :D

Attachments

• 20170703_182804.jpg
    20170703_182804.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 20170703_182842.jpg
    20170703_182842.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 280
Oh My!!!
Multiples?
Well, other than what others have already mentioned...
Silpat sheets (I have 6)
Two Keurigs
Serving dishes/Salad Bowls/Platters
Old Sterling Silver Ware from my Aunts (wish I didn't, don't care to polish them)
Salt & Pepper grinders,
I have one set on the table
https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-Grin...pID=41aadPVMxpL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
and one at the stove by Unicorn
Rolling Pins
Bowls for the Food Processor as well as Kitchen Aid Mixer
Whisks in all sizes
Silicone pastry brushes
Bench Scrapers
Tea Balls
Kitchen Shears
Graters/Microplanes
Manual Can Openers
... Ummmm
I think I'd better stop buying kitchen stuff :LOL:

Just let say there is A LOT of IKEA doubles in this kitchen, I have most things in two or three.

If it isnt IKEA , it is Nils Johan and in rare cases old brands no longer exisitng.

I do how ever need to get 1 small pot more, it is a bit of chore cooking rice, then cleaning it out, then cook sauce and then clean again for dessert..

In general, I think having multiple kitchen tools is the norm.
I don't think I'm the only one having trouble opening overfilled drawers from tongs jamming.
I keep my tongs in a basket on my counter. I also have two crocks for my utensils. I like to keep them in sight.

I do have one drawer that gets crowded, but I can get it closed after I move the extra measuring spoons and grater DH puts in it to the hanging rack where they belong [emoji38]

Last edited:
I could never get the hang of using chopsticks gracefully either, Casey. I'm pretty clumsy with them so I just use the ol' metal 4 prongers, too. [emoji38]
When I was a teenager, my mom had a friend who was married to a Korean man. He taught me how to use chopsticks. I don't get enough practice, though.

In terms of utensils, my brain operates under the impression, “if one is good, then 3 or more are better.” Multiples of tongs, spatulas, rasps, you name it. My chopstick skills need work.

I cant use chopstick, I have problem with my hand.. it hurt like ... yeah .. when I try.

I can manage, but don't do very well with chopsticks.
I don't like to see tool container clutter on my counter, so everything has to fit in drawers. If the stuff won't fit in my drawers anymore, it's a sign I need to purge. I keep a rubber band on the ends of tongs as they always manage to open otherwise.
Keeping the handles of tools to the back of the drawer, keeps what you're looking for in sight, but maybe experienced cooks all know that.

Last edited:
Keeping the handles of tools to the back of the drawer, keeps what you're looking for in sight, but maybe experienced cooks all know that.

So funny - I really have to admit I just recently realized that. My reasons for turning them around were more for space. Handles in different directions but then it dawned on me I could see my ladles directly and know which one I wanted far quicker than before.

I also admit I don't really like the "clutter" on the counter except that I also find it is really much faster to reach out, grab one than turn, pull open and rummage in a drawer.

Tongs and Spatulas and serving spoons definitely. I think i have 3 or 4 of each. ( the smart me)
As far as the stupid me, I should have another Ladle. It seems it is always the dish washer when i need it, and i usually have several pots going at one time.

I have a few late nights at work, so when I cook, Im usually cooking for a few days at a time ( since i really cant cook anything too elaborate on my late nights, or Id be eating at midnight). So, with therefore, I usually have many things going at once. Im a big soup and sauce kinda guy, usually making enough to freeze for future meals.

Why I haven't just picked up another ladle is beyond me. I only seem to remember I need a second one, when i need a second one :)

I do have 2 peelers and 2 can openers, more out of convenience when I'm having someone else ( wife or kids) help me out.

I wish i had 2 more burners on my stove, 4 isnt enough, but my kitchen layout really cant accommodate a 6 burner stove,

And although not a tool, having 2 fridges and A second freezer sure come in handy for storage purposes.

Larry, big soup ladles are so hard to store, I wouldn't even want more than one. The ladle I use often gets hand washed and returned to storage after it's used. Because of the way it's shaped, it never gets clean in the dishwasher anyway.

We have a vertical cylinder on either side of the stove for storing things like spatulas, ladles, slotted spoons, spiders, and so on. And yes, you put them handle side down, or in, so you just grab the thing you need.

There's 2 or 3 of each utensil, so one is always available.

Btw, I've seen these magnetic strips on the wall/backsplash that cooks use to store their knives. I've always wondered if the magnetism affects the edge for sharpness (as in bending the edge in spots that contact the magnet) and does it scratch the knives?

Btw, I've seen these magnetic strips on the wall/backsplash that cooks use to store their knives. I've always wondered if the magnetism affects the edge for sharpness (as in bending the edge in spots that contact the magnet) and does it scratch the knives?

I have been using a magnetic strip for years with no noticeable adverse effect to my knives..

For the past 5 or so years, I've used a drawer to place the strip.. Keeps the knives out of sight and eliminates the possibility of knocking one off the strip onto the counter or floor (don't even ask how I'd do that ;))..
Works for me..

Ross

I have multiple bamboo and plastic spoons and spats, tongs, hot pads, spiders, can and bottle openers. I have eight plastic cutting boards. Two toaster oven pans, three half sheet pans an two quarter sheet pans (all with racks).

Back
Top Bottom