A good roast chicken marinade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McAwesome

Assistant Cook
I roast chicken on special occasions but I'm kinda bored of the same old marinade.` That marinade had soy sauce, mayo, basil, some salt and LOADS of pepper. And then I pour the juice into pan and heat it up to make a sauce. Fine, I'll admit to dumping in whatever was in the fridge, but it's now a family favorite.

I'm honestly tired of using the same old marinade, so can someone give me another marinade? I was thinking of using fruit for this one just because my mom is against the idea of fruit and meat in the same dish? Teenage rebellion FTW! But I've seen fruit in meat so many times I just HAVE to prove her wrong.

Why not skip the marinade?

Maybe brine it instead?

I'm a big fan of a plain old nicely roasted bird which tastes like chicken.

I roast chicken on special occasions but I'm kinda bored of the same old marinade.` That marinade had soy sauce, mayo, basil, some salt and LOADS of pepper. And then I pour the juice into pan and heat it up to make a sauce. Fine, I'll admit to dumping in whatever was in the fridge, but it's now a family favorite.

I'm honestly tired of using the same old marinade, so can someone give me another marinade? I was thinking of using fruit for this one just because my mom is against the idea of fruit and meat in the same dish? Teenage rebellion FTW! But I've seen fruit in meat so many times I just HAVE to prove her wrong.

How about taking that chicken. Cut the back out of it " Spatchcocked " and broiling it? It will take less time to cook.

Here's a marinade that I use. It's tangy & little spicy.

Marinade:
1 whole fairly large chicken. Rinsed well, dried using paper towels.
Loosen the skin all around so that the marinade can get under the skin easily.

1/4 Cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of crushed chili flakes
2 lemons squeeze the juice from it, if you don' have one, bottled lemon juice will do.Use 2 teaspoons.
2 Cloves of garlic finely minced
Dash of fresh ground black pepper
Pinch of kosher salt

In a medium sized bowl-add olive oil, lemon juice, chili flakes, pepper, salt & garlic. Mix it well.
Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover and marinate overnight refrigerated, or marinate a few hours.

Preheat your broiler and pan on high..30 minutes.

When ready place the chicken breast side down. Bone side up.Cook for 20 minutes.Turn the chicken over. Finish cooking it breast side up. Check it every few minutes baste often. Cook an additional 15-20 minutes until the thigh juices when poked with a fork run clear.

Remove the chicken. Let it rest 10 minutes before carving.
Squeeze some additional lemon juice over the chicken.

Munky.

Looking at your location, I am sure you have some great things available. You could also keep it simple and do a huli huli style(Hawaiian)bird

Soy
Sugar
OJ
Mirin
Ginger
Garlic
Lime/Calamansi
Pineapple juice
A little Hoisin

Mix all ingredients well, marinate bird overnight, butterfly(or cut into 8 pieces)and grill over charcoal. Baste with Soy, Sugar and Pineapple juice mix. Simple and delicious.

Serve with Sticky rice and some steamed veggies(not traditional, but good).

I just apply a spice rub to my roast chicken. This recipe has won awards, it seems simple but it's delicious.

Cut and place 4 sliced cloves of garlic under the skin of the chicken breast, along with 2 tbsp of sliced butter.

Then for the spice rub, mix 2 tbsp of olive oil with tbsp of onion powder, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of pepper, and a pinch of cayenne or other chili powder to taste. Mix together and rub all over chicken inside and out.

Inside the chicken put a cut up lemon, and any fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme, or leave the herbs out.

Cook as normal in the oven til 165 degrees. Usually a 3lb bird at 350 will take 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom