Counter top griddle for pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elemom

Assistant Cook
My husband loves to make pancakes, but we do not own an electric countertop griddle. I'd like to buy him one for Christmas. Any recommendations on not-too-expensive (under $50 if possible) griddle that browns evenly, stores well and is not too hard to clean? This would be used almost exclusively for pancakes of all kinds -- not for meat.

Thanks!!:)

Is it just the 2 of you? I'm sorry I don't know the cost, but I've never had bad luck with pancakes on my Presto griddles. I have a huge one, about 18x25 inches, and a regular sized one, 12x18 I think. Cleaning isn't the easiest, just because it's so large and I have a stupid double sink, but other than that you can just wash and rinse, the cord detatches.

Just looked at Amazon.com, the 22 inch griddle is $40.

We have a 43yo Presto, about 11" square (wedding present) and a large 11 x 18 Miracle Maid almost as old. Both work well for pancakes, as long as you get them hot before adding oil.
If I had to buy one, this is what I would pick:
Amazon.com: Presto 06852 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover: Home & Garden

Good reviews, reasonably priced, and, You could do other things in it.

Fried Chicken. Oooooh:)

It looks like a lot of you have electric griddles. I have the double griddle that fits over 2 burners on my stove (gas). I've had trouble getting both burners the same temp with my new stove I think because the back burners are hi-capacity. Hence, some burned pancakes. Do most of you use an electric griddle for pancakes? Do you feel it's a better (or more reliable) way to make non-burned pancakes?

If I had my choice of any unit available, I'd get the Wolfgang Puck reversible grill/griddle, available from Amazon.com for 69.99. The grilling plate is reversible, making it a double duty unit.

I have a Black & Decker Family Size Griddle, but it was a gift. I never would have picked it for myself because it has been my experience that Black & Decker equipment expires right after the warranty does.

Last edited:
Hey Fishers Mom,

I learned to burn pancakes in the Boy Scouts on an upside down aluminum lid from an old Maytag wringer washer (on a wood fire.) It's a real art to make them black on the outside and raw in the middle:LOL:

With electric, once you figure out the correct temperature (they're all a little different), just set it and forget it.

Okay Walt, I'm sold! (And I thought I was the only one who could make them black on the outside and runny raw on the inside. My kids always check each pancake before putting on the syrup and butter - no one wants the dreaded "batter squirt" surprise!)

It looks like a lot of you have electric griddles. I have the double griddle that fits over 2 burners on my stove (gas). I've had trouble getting both burners the same temp with my new stove I think because the back burners are hi-capacity. Hence, some burned pancakes. Do most of you use an electric griddle for pancakes? Do you feel it's a better (or more reliable) way to make non-burned pancakes?

I'm getting a new stove next week, it comes with a griddle like that. Would you say it's not real great for pancakes then? The stove will have a fifth, oblong burner down the center, that would heat the whole griddle. Would that prevent the problem you have with it?

suzie--my stove has the oblong burner and it does prevent that,whole burner heats at the same temp. My daughter does her morning pancakes on it and it works great.

OOOOO thank you Mikki I'm even more exited now!!!!!!!
Is it tuesday yet???

Not yet!!!! Try to have patience. I had a real hard time a year ago when we got our new doublewide,where EVERYTHING was new!!!! enjoy your new stove

I'm getting a new stove next week, it comes with a griddle like that. Would you say it's not real great for pancakes then? The stove will have a fifth, oblong burner down the center, that would heat the whole griddle. Would that prevent the problem you have with it?
I was talking about the kind of double griddle that you buy to sit on top of 2 burners (with the grates on). They come in cast iron and non-stick aluminum (I have a non-stick one). But, my stove also came with a cast iron griddle like what you're getting. Honestly, it works wonderfully. I just don't use it as much because it's heavy and bulky to clean and I have to find a spot to put the grates while I'm using it. All that sounds silly, I know, but there it is. When all the kids are coming for the weekend, then I don't seem to mind pulling it out because we end up using it for most of the weekend for pancakes and grilled sandwiches and even steaks. It's really awesome but because I don't have the 5th center burner, it takes up 2 of my burners while it's in place.
Congrats on your new stove!!! And I'll bet with the 5th burner, you'll use the griddle all the time.

electric griddle

Thanks, EVERYONE, for all your input! This message board is AMAZING! What a find. Such nice, knowledgeable, generous people. I have some good leads in my search for a griddle, and I'm sure to be back for cooking advice! And by the way, I am also a member of the charred-outside-runny-inside-pancake club. (I thought I was the only member.) ;)

I got a Rival 13-inch electric skillet that I've had for years and hardly use. I also own an elcheapo non-stick grill that's used on the stovetop. One side is used for burgers, steaks and chops, while the other side is used for breakfast food.

I am also a member of the charred-outside-runny-inside-pancake club. (I thought I was the only member.) ;)

Hey, elemom. You can become a member of the wonderful pancake club. Here's how.

Pour the pancake batter onto your grill. Let it sit and when you see some little bubbles forming all over the pancake wait a few seconds. As soon as some of the bubbles begin to pop, flip the pancake. Let it cook a little while longer. Check the underside of the pancake by peeking with a spatula. When it's a bit golden, remove and serve. Yummy pancakes.

Back
Top Bottom