Kitchen Aid Food Grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essie

Senior Cook
Can someone tell me how to remove the worm grinder from the food grinder so I can attach the one for the fruit and vegetable strainer. I can't figure it out.

Thank heaven for the "Instruction Manuals" - especially if they are online! :rolleyes:

Here are the manuals for the Food Grinder Attachment (FGA) and for the Fruit & Vegetable Strainer Attachment (FVSFGA/FVSP).

Read the instructions - and if you still can't figure it out let me know and I'll try to step you though it (referring to the illustrations in the manuals).

Thanks, Michael.
I copied the manuals, but my problem is I can't get the grind worm out of the body. I have it all apart, but the grind worm will not budge.

Seems like it's stuck inside.

Do you know what's keeping it from coming out at all? Sounds like something's holding it in at the other end.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
It finally came apart. I twisted and pulled it, and it finally loosened.
Can is put someting like mineral oil on it, so it doesn't get stuck again?

What caused it to get stuck in there in the first place?

You should try to find that out first. It might have been rust.

In that case, if it was, then clean off the rust and next time you use it, leave the parts unassembled so that it can air-dry completely before you re-assemble it again.

~Corey123.

You can ensure the parts are free of dirt, etc. so the part fits in and comes out easily. You can ensure the parts are properly lubricated. You can ensure you are fitting the parts together properly.

If you continue to have problems, the part or the recepticle on the mixer is at fault and you have a warranty issue.

Essie said:
Can is put someting like mineral oil on it, so it doesn't get stuck again?

Hi Essie,

Sanitary PETRO-GEL may be the best choice of lubricants for kitchen equipment where there may be incidental contact with food.

Anthony

Essie said:
... my problem is I can't get the grind worm out of the body. I have it all apart, but the grind worm will not budge.

Now that I know what is stuck - I had the same problem with mine the first couple of times I used it until it got "broken in" and loosened up a bit (actually - this gizmo is still a tight fit). I just held the body in one hand and smacked the back end of it on my cutting board a couple of times (the shaft end that goes into the hub in the mixer). Of course, not letting it sit for very long before disassembling helps. I generally use mine, remove it from the mixer, toss it into a bowl of hot water, and then disassemble it within about 10 minutes.

Corey123 said:
I've been procrastinating on this accessory for some time now. Still didn't buy it yet.

Corey - read the manuals to see what you can and can not process with it before you spend the bucks. I found myself having to dig out my manual food mill for several things.

Last edited:
Ok.

Of course, I also have my extremmely powerful Cuisinart DLC-7Pro which can also chop and grind raw meat.

That's all I had intended to use the K'Aid grinder for if I decide to buy one.

~Corey123.

Sorry Corey - I was getting the "fruit and vegetable strainer" mixed up with the food grinder.

I used to use my old lame Hamilton-Beach FP to "mince" meat - but the Food Grinder Attachment (FGA) on my KA does such a much nicer job. To me - the FGA attachment had been more than worth the cost.

But then - not all of us can afford to purchase, or have the space to store, all the coutertop appliances you have.

Last edited:
I don't have any countertop space I use two baker's-style racks in the back room off from the kitchen.

I'm about to set up a third smaller rack to get the rest of the storage space organized for the remaining appliances as soon as I find the plastic sleeves that hold the shelves in place.

The Fruit & Vegetable Strainer doesn't grind meat, as you know.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I use both my food grinder and juicer/strainer quite a bit.
I have also found it difficult to get the worm out sometimes, but my husband has come to my assistance. You just have to patiently wiggle it around a bit.

The food grinder attachment is the basic mechanism needed for several of the other attachments, including the juicer/strainer and the pasta maker. I use it to grind meat for homemade sausage or meat spreads. It doesn't pulverize the meat as a food processor would.
The juicer/strainer is great for processing tomatoes. One can halve raw roma tomatoes, put them in, and it spits out the good pulp, leaving the skin and seeds behind.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone!

I just ground chicken breasts for meatballs, washed and dried the grinder parts and am letting them sit out to air dry some more, before putting away.

The chicken turned out very well, with no effort.:rolleyes:

one tid bit on KA grinder...if you are grinding clams don't press down to speed up the process...you will force oil out of the KA unit...not good in the food. It might be because of the amount of fluid in the clams...not sure. The manuel tells you not to put a lot of pressure...I learn the hard way

Back
Top Bottom