Range/Cooker Question for UK and European members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Golly Miss GG - You are a master of refutes, verbatim's but unfortunately little tolerance for semantics. But that's OK - I've gotten to love your posts and still think you are funny!

Here in the States, right up to the 60's, tenement homes were heated by the kitchen stove.....
Yeah...nope. In Northeast Ohio, almost all multi-family dwellings back then were heated with steam heat. My first childhood home from 1951 until 1958, was built in the 1850s. It had radiators that we had to "bleed" when heating season was starting up. ~ When we moved in 1958, the "new" house (built in 1929) had a forced-air gas furnace. I do remember the house foundation having a coal chute, though, and my Mom saying that before we lived there the house had a coal furnace with gravity heat.

....I think she was just referring to the fact I'm in Canada, which is NOT in the States (yet, nor ever will be)... even thou I'm barely a days drive from her...
OR, maybe dear Addie generalizes - lots. As a non-native living in Massachusetts, I have learned that the prevailing attitude amongst the natives is that if it is/was done like that in MA, it's done like that everywhere. :rolleyes: And yet, the world keeps turning and the 21st civilization does exist. Just not in some parts of New England. :mrgreen:

Still working on getting our house up for sale so that I can return to My People...:LOL:

"Most" low cost apartments in Montreal, at least in the areas where I lived, had a coal oil furnace in the middle hall that heated up the entire apartment. The newer ones had electric baseboards or the same furnace as the oil but natural gas.

Growing up in Hamilton, we had steam radiators, run on oil I believe but I do know that there were old coal bins in the basement we were NOT allowed to go into... :LOL:

Swedish apartment building has central heating, either pumped in from a central heating or in a furnace in the bottom of the building same goes for hot water.

So if you own the apartment, you pay a fee every months for heating, water, sewage and garbage to the building society or what you would call it and if you are renter, it part of the rent OR your rent is lower and you pay heat and water. BUT you must hold your apartment in winter time at least 18 C, not lower.

OR, maybe dear Addie generalizes - lots. As a non-native living in Massachusetts, I have learned that the prevailing attitude amongst the natives is that if it is/was done like that in MA, it's done like that everywhere. :rolleyes: And yet, the world keeps turning and the 21st civilization does exist. Just not in some parts of New England. :mrgreen:

+1...

:LOL: GG is Boston not in the States? :LOL: love your dry humour!

I think she was just referring to the fact I'm in Canada, which is NOT in the States (yet, nor ever will be )... even thou I'm barely a days drive from her. (or two if you obey the speed limit).

Addie, because we are so close, it is quite possible some of those stoves were around here too. You never know!

As an older teenager, a bunch of us hopped in a car and drove straight through to Montreal. Got totally lost. We couldn't find our way out of the city to head back home. A kind officer lead us back to the border the next morning. We were just out for a cup of coffee.

;) What???? Canada is not our 53rd state? :ohmy:

As an older teenager, a bunch of us hopped in a car and drove straight through to Montreal. Got totally lost. We couldn't find our way out of the city to head back home. A kind officer lead us back to the border the next morning. We were just out for a cup of coffee.

;) What???? Canada is not our 53rd state? :ohmy:
What does your comment have to do with kitchen ranges?????

Curiosity got me and I did some reading, as I've never seen one. They don't appear to be practical by modern standards. Hugely energy inefficient by themselves, and you certainly wouldn't want one in hot weather when the AC is on. I can see some appeal in a consistently cool climate, though.

The local appliance dealer that carries all of the high end appliances doesn't carry them, so it seems that there isn't much of a demand for them in this part of the country. Here's some interesting info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker

Will America Go Gaga For AGA? The Fancy British Stove Is Poised For A U.S. Breakthrough - Food Republic

Back
Top Bottom