Cookie press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookinnluvinit

Assistant Cook
Hello all! I'm a newbie here and I must say this looks like a wonderful site. :) For the first time today I used my cookie press that I recieved last year as a Christmas gift. I had some problems and I'm hoping that maybe someone with cookie press exprience can give me some advice.
I had real problems getting the lovely little shapes to turn out correctly. When you press the dough out of the press how do you get it to let go of the press? When I pressed it out it seemed to come out like pasta out of a pasta maker. :LOL: I had to pinch it off with my fingers and reshape it then place it on the cookie sheet. I know that can't be right! I had read that you don't chill the dough, but then I read that you should chill the dough. :huh: So which is it?

I would appreciate any and all hints or tips that anyone could give. I really would like to play around with this some more. The cookies came out tasting nice and buttery . Very yum!

Thanks all!

:chef:

The recipe I use does not call for chilling the dough. The cookies do come out of the cookie press similiar to pasta. Make sure that you are pressing the cookie press firmly to the cookie sheet. Do not lift the press until the cookie is totally touching the cookie sheet. I have found that pressing a small amount of dough at a time works better. Filling the press to the top makes it more difficult. Is your press a hand crank one or battery operated? I have used both and prefer the hand cranked cookie press. With that type it is easier to control the flow of the cookie dough. Good luck and I hope this helps. :)

SierraCook is right about pressing it on the cookie sheet. The practice is worth it. Try pressing the head close to the cookie sheet, push out the dough and pull the head out of the center when you have the desired cookie formed.

Press cookies are a staple at my house over the holidays. The kids (17 and 22!) are highly offended if I don't make them. I had trouble when I started making them too. One tip I've learned over the years is to be sure to make your dough with BUTTER not MARGARINE. Margarines will make the dough oilier and you will have trouble with the cookies not releasing even if you are pressing the press to the cookie sheet. I agree that hand crank or trigger ones work better than battery powered since you can control the flow. With a bit of practice you will be making beautiful cookies.

Re

Thank you all so much! I was doing it wrong :mad: I did not press the cookies onto the cookie sheet. Should have came here BEFORE I made the cookies lol. I did however use real butter not margarine. I love the taste of real butter. The cookies taste good they just look...well...interesting :) I have a hand crank not battery operated one. I am going to try them again this week!

Thanks so much!

:chef:

Corey, in a cookie press there are recipes where chilled dough is a big no no. It will muck things up badly.

Cooknnluvinit, there is a whole thread with cookie press recipes in it here. If you use the search function you will find it. Hope your next batch of cookies is easier! Let us know.

My cookie press has little "legs" on it which I place flat against the cookie sheet. Once the dough sort of squishes out so I can see it I know it's time to turn the crank the other way just a bit to sort of stop the release of the dough and then I lift up quickly. (Alix, and you thought I didn't bake :-p )

Don't make 'em like they used to

My mom and I have made butter cookies with a cookie press for as long as I can remember. We used a cookie press that is from the '30s or '40s. No new cookie press we have ever tried worked. They all had the problem you described. Only the old one let go of the cookies when we lifted it up. Alas, we have lost a vital part for it and can't use it. If anyone knows of a reliable brand that WORKS, please let us know!

Hmmm. Mine is new (although I used one from the 30's for years til it died) and works great. I'll go see what brand it is.

Re

Hey just wanted to let you all know that I did try the cookie press again and it worked great! Not only were the cookies yummy they were lovely. Thanks so much for everyones help and hints:)

Merry Christmas!

I own a cookie press too, and I've never used it. Making plain butter cookies just never seems to appeal to me - does anyone have other recipes that would work with a cookie press?

Re

Yes! I have a Chocolate spritz cookie recipe. I have not tried this recipe but it sounds yummy :)

Chocolate Spritz Cookies
Recipe By : Mirro Cookie Press booklet 1970's
Serving Size : 48

1/4 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
2 Tablespoons Milk
4 Ounces Unsweetened Chocolate -- Melted And Cooled
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Small Carton Glacèd Cherries (opt.) -- Halved

Preheat oven to 375°.

Cream shortening and sugar well. Beat in egg and milk. Stir in melted and cooled chocolate. Gradually blend in flour and salt. Place dough in cookie press . Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheet. If desired, use wreath shape cookie press disk and press one half glacèd cherry in center of each wreath. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes.
Remove at once to cooling rack.

NOTES : Bake just a few on the first try to test time. Be careful to not burn bottoms.

Back
Top Bottom