Cutting Board Materials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I recently purchased a nice ($100) kitchen knife to do most of my food preperation with. I've used both wood (about 1 inch thick) and plastic cutting boards but both seem to need replacing every few years.

The wood one warped rather severely and the plastic one got cut up pretty well in addition to being discolored.

What cutting board materials are recommended and which are not recommended? The Corian material cutting boards look very nice but I suspect the material is too harsh on a sharp blade.

Well I like wood for cutting boards.

In storage, I have a 36 inch square maple butcher block table, but in my small quarters I use the maple wood top from a 1960's dishwasher I got for free. It is 1 1/4" thick, and has not warped in all the years I have used it.

Before my table went into storage, I used this dishwasher top on top of it to protect it.

Now, if I were to go out and buy a wood cutting board, I would insist on a end grain oak or maple one -- I especially like the thick ones sold by Boos. They supply the Food Network.

I use both wood and plastic. I wouldn't use anything harder than those witha good knife. Plastic is cheap and easy to replace when it wears out. But I use the wood one most often, and don't have any problems with it warping. It's not a butcher block, but surprisingly, it works just fine... :rolleyes: :LOL:

Both wood and plastic are recommended. Corrion, Glass, and most other types are not recommended. I have not been able to get a good enough answer on bamboo so as far as I am concerned the jury is still out on that one (although I would guess it is as good as wood).

A thick end grain wood board should not warp, just dont soak it in water.

Plastic boards will need to be replaced every once in a while, but they are pretty cheap and can be put in the dishwasher which is a big plus in my book.

I've had a bamboo one for about 6 months and so far it's doing well. I had plastic ones but they really dulled my knives. (Dulled! is that a word?)

The best cutting board material would be an end-grain wood cutting board. This would include GB's bamboo cutting board since all I've seen are end-grain. This is what is known as a "true" butcher block. As you cut the food and the knife contacts the board ... the knife blade goes between the wood fibers ... thus causing only minimal dulling of the knife edge.

Next best is edge-grain wood. This is the most common ... and cheaper than end-grain butcher block. Eventhough you are cutting across the wood fibers ... it's not as damaging as plastic.

Third choice would be plastic.

Materials like Corrian, glass, marble, ceramic tile, glazed pottery dinner plate, etc. will kill a knife in no time.

As for being sanitary .... research has shown that a wood cutting board can actually be more sanitary than a plastic one. Seems wood has some natural anti-bacterial properties that plastic doesn't. Of course, you can toss a plastic board in the dishwasher, something you could never do with a wood board, which some people think is an advantage.

As for warping of a wood board ... it depends on how it was made, how heavy (thick) it is, and how you treat it. If you dry it after washing/sanatizing it - and keep it oiled with mineral oil so the wood doesn't dry out ... even a cheap edge-grain board will last for years without problems.

I totally agree with Michael's response!

Anything but wood will dull your knives. And make sure that mineral oil is labeled "food safe."

I have chosen to go with plastic cutting boards. I have about a half dozen in various sizes. I've gone with plastic because they are the easiest to care for.

As Michael said, after use, they can go into the dishwasher for cleaning and sanitization (if your washer is equipped with a sanitize cycle). You cannot do that with a wood board.

If a plastic board gets stained, I just sprinkle a little bleach/water solution on the board and let it sit for an hour in the sink. It comes out as white as a new board.

I use a solid maple edge grain board that is 2 1/2 inches thick. I also have another end grain Madrone block that was cut for me from a lightening killed tree. It's 40" thick by 32" square. The only work surface in the kitchen that fits me.

I use wood for veggies - easier on the blade with all the cutting and just a quick wipe will get it clean. Never soak in sink or put in the dishwasher or it will warp or split. If you feel that's not sufficient, wipe with a diluted bleach solution. I use plastic for meats and occasionally run them through the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle, particularly if exposed to chicken.

To sanitize a cutting board rub it down and pack it with a salt paste overnight then re-oil it the next day after cleaning it with water. Right Otter, soaking a cutting board is a disaster. At the café I also have a set of color coded plastic boards for the prep cooks and keep a bucket of bleach solution at hand too.

I have a separate board for onions and garlic. I lightly clean my boards with a wrung out soapy sponge and then sponge rinse them and oil them. But I can still smell onion on them. Maybe I'm not putting enough mineral oil on.

Dove, I agree with cocochef, I strictly use wood, mine is maple as well, about 1-1/2 inch thick and rectangular about 18x30 (guessing). I love it. I do have a flexible plastic one I use when cutting meat, then toss after it shows signs of knife slices on it. I use my wood one for non-meat things. Scour weekly with straight white vinegar. It not only cleans and sanitizes, but it deoderizes as well. I occasionally rub with mineral oil (non-medical one). I have had it for about 8 years, and it is as good as ever, except for the knife marks.

My son is studying cooking. I have helped him study in the past. Here they have color coded cutting boards for different things, ie chicken, vegetables, meat etc. I thought it was a good idea at the time.

I have various cutting boards. I like the convenience of the plastic ones. I have little ones for onions/garlic and larger ones for chicken etc.

Pam

I use wood for everything but raw meat or fish. I have a plastic one for that.
I have found that storing a wooden board upright will cause warping, especially if it is a less expensive (thin) one. The wood boards should be left flat on the counter or wherever you keep it when it is not in use. Like everyone else, I don't ever soak mine.

lyndalou said:
I have found that storing a wooden board upright will cause warping, especially if it is a less expensive (thin) one. The wood boards should be left flat on the counter or wherever you keep it when it is not in use.

First time I've heard that. I currently store them flat because I don't have room to store them upright, but that's what I was planning in the kitchen remodel. Hmmm...

I have an inexpensive wood board (about 24" x 16") that I store on its edge. I've had it for more than 3 years with no signs of warping. But in Colorado we lack the humidity that can affect wood in other locales.

I use plastic almost exclusively. Every week or so, I fill my sink with a bleach solution and immerse them, soaking for an hour or so. This has taken care of all discoloration, to include the black char from carving charcoal grilled meats and veggies on them, beet juice, turmeric from curried foods (the worst stain). I don't even own a wooden one at this point (not that I have anything against them, I love them, but the next one I buy will be for beauty, and the plastic will still be my staple because I can soak it). I absolutly DO NOT recommend the corian. I have one I got 'free' when I had corian counters put in. Love the counters, but only use the 'cutting board' as a hot plate. It just seems to hard for knives, and too slick (I'd be afraid the knife would slip off when cutting). I've had many, many plastic cutting boards in my life, and there is a huge variety of textures, materials, and densities -- and now, even colors. I like white so I know what is there (nothing says "bleach me" like a stain, even though germs are invisible, a reminder doesn't hurt). I simply love the convenience of a good bleach bath -- good for the sink, good for the driains, good for the coffee cups, stained plastic containers. And mostly good for the cutting boards.

I have both wood and plastic cutting boards but, believe it or not, what I most often use are just plain white paper plates. I buy them at a Sam's club in a bulk quantity of 500. I forget the price, but they are very inexpensive. This works great because no washing required after use, and who doesn't like less cleanup? Simple to switch from cutting meat to vegs/fruits by just tossing the paper plates into the trash. No damage to knives either. Since I use plain white plates, I can put them in our kitchen mulch bucket to end up in the compost bins outside, so they are really multi-use.

Back
Top Bottom