What is the best material for cutting boards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a plastic cutting board several years ago, and found that it had deep scratches from my knives after a few uses. Ease of cleaning? No, trying to clean the cuts, even with a bleach solution, was more trouble than just washing the wooden boards.
Like Andy said, ease of cleaning = a run through the dishwasher

Your dishwasher will totally sanitize plastic boards.

Like Andy, they are almost all I have used for 40 years even though I have 2 very lovely and expensive wooden boards (gifts).

That said, people’s choice of boards is a personal one. But cleaning a plastic board shouldnt weigh into the decision if you have a dishwasher.

So, Cooking4Fun, I would say, unless you are standing over a cutting board with your $300.00 chef's knife for 8 hours a day...

the best board would be wood - any wood.

Top 6 Cutting Boards
I built my own wood butcher block cutting board several years ago. I used oak and poplar. I used poplar as what was available was very expensive. Poplar has a green tint and is different.
I cut 3/4" slats and glued and clamped them. Then planed and sanded. I treated it with mineral oil. Came out beautiful. It's bigger than what you can buy.

However, I have yet to cut on it. I have a plastic board I keep on top. It's the same one they use on the show America's Test Kitchen.
They did a review on cutting board liners/bases and I copied the brand. But I cannot find it.
This is my issue.
I want the plastic cutting board to stay still while I wipe it down. It stays fine while chopping and cutting but moves on me when I go to wipe it off. I wipe it off a lot in between ingredients I'm working with.
Any suggestions? I have tried several DIY liners with some success. But not total success.

I built my own wood butcher block cutting board several years ago. I used oak and poplar. I used poplar as what was available was very expensive. Poplar has a green tint and is different.
I cut 3/4" slats and glued and clamped them. Then planed and sanded. I treated it with mineral oil. Came out beautiful. It's bigger than what you can buy.

However, I have yet to cut on it. I have a plastic board I keep on top. It's the same one they use on the show America's Test Kitchen.
They did a review on cutting board liners/bases and I copied the brand. But I cannot find it.
This is my issue.
I want the plastic cutting board to stay still while I wipe it down. It stays fine while chopping and cutting but moves on me when I go to wipe it off. I wipe it off a lot in between ingredients I'm working with.
Any suggestions? I have tried several DIY liners with some success. But not total success.
This is what's generally used in a commercial kitchen and what I use at home as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Non-Slip-Non-...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138880147235&th=1

Last edited:
Roll Bones, I had the same problem with my cutting board moving. We have ceramic tile countertops (don't blame me, it was the previous owner) and nothing would stay still. I got some no-slip plastic honeycombed material at a local dollar store, and cut a piece just slightly larger than the board. Works great! The no-slip material also keeps dishes and utensils from moving around in drawers.
The material is hand washable, maybe dishwasher safe, but I don't want to risk it.

I bought a roll of this stuff. I cut off a few sections appropriate for cutting boards and use them under the boards for stability. The boards don't move at all and I toss these sheets into the washer with dishcloths and towels. Easy peasy.

6803902.jpg

Pepper, it's called a pastry cloth. I only mention it to making DuckDuckGoing (Googling) it easier. That really does sound like a good solution, if @Cooking4Fun has a flat surface to put it on.
That's it - it was so long ago I had it I totally forgot that they called them pastry cloths! And that a lot of old cookbooks would say to roll things like pie dough out on them - probably where I got the idea for getting one.

Andy, that's it! I've been hand washing the sheets, but now I'll put them into the laundry with kitchen towels.
Thank you for the photo, and the explanation.
I do a separate load for kitchen towels, cutting board mats and handkerchiefs I use to strain cooking oil after frying. I always add a strong dose of bleach to that wash to remove stains and aid in sanitizing.

I want a board for dough. I don't have a table suitable for dough. I need a surface to put over either a small table or the oven range to use as the surface.
If you won't have the stove on when using it, the over the range/stove options would likely all work. If you want to put the board in a dishwasher, I would suggest not getting wood. We make sausage here and have little counter space. We use a HDPE board and place it over the sink when we need the extra space. It cleans up easily and was cheap enough that we keep it strictly for making sausage or using for meats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom