Getting fresh pizza onto the stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.

Ideally, the stone should be at cooking temp when pizza is placed on it. That's the whole idea behind using the stone. Otherwise, you can use a metal pizza pan to cook your pizzas. They'll probably cook much faster too.
How long does it take to cook your pizzas using your method?

I must have been doing it wrong all these years or else I am lazy. I always build my pizza right on my stone and we eat it right off the stone. No need for other tools. I make pizza weekly too. I have three stones so everyone gets what they want.

I've done it this way too.

I always preheat the stone in the oven. Handling a heavy, 500ºF stone is not my idea of fun.

I can't see how you can get a crispy crust on a cold stone. Mine is 3/4 inch thick and takes an hour to heat up to the proper temp(550). Any sooner you might as well cook pizza on a peice of white bread! Sorry but why even use a stone?
Are you making fresh pizza or store bought? The whole idea is to suck the moisture out of the dough to get a crisp crust, you can't do that on a cold stone. Might just as well use a pizza pan or cookie sheet, as they are much cheeper!

I can't see how you can get a crispy crust on a cold stone. Mine is 3/4 inch thick and takes an hour to heat up to the proper temp(550). Any sooner you might as well cook pizza on a peice of white bread! Sorry but why even use a stone?
Are you making fresh pizza or store bought? The whole idea is to suck the moisture out of the dough to get a crisp crust, you can't do that on a cold stone. Might just as well use a pizza pan or cookie sheet, as they are much cheeper!

I usually heat the stone, and The crust is crispier, but I have done it without heating the stone and it is still better than a cookie sheet. I am guessing it would be better than a piece of white bread too, but I have not checked that one out.

I usually heat the stone, and The crust is crispier, but I have done it without heating the stone and it is still better than a cookie sheet. I am guessing it would be better than a piece of white bread too, but I have not checked that one out.
Just a little humor. Forget about the white bread, too messy!!!

Wow! I must be really wrong. No store bought by the way. I heat up the stone. My big one is a pampered chef stone so on the thinner side. I cook my dough first, take it out, build my pizza, and back in the oven for 15 minutes. Crust is crispy and good IMO and my families opinion. I guess I will need to try out a few other ways.

Wow! I must be really wrong. No store bought by the way. I heat up the stone. My big one is a pampered chef stone so on the thinner side. I cook my dough first, take it out, build my pizza, and back in the oven for 15 minutes. Crust is crispy and good IMO and my families opinion. I guess I will need to try out a few other ways.
Sorry, I thought you were putting it on a cold stone. Of course a thinner stone takes less time to heat, but after breaking a few pampered chefs, I went to a fiberment stone which is now over ten years old and does take longer to heat.

Sorry, I thought you were putting it on a cold stone. Of course a thinner stone takes less time to heat, but after breaking a few pampered chefs, I went to a fiberment stone which is now over ten years old and does take longer to heat.

Eh probably not the "proper" way but cooking the crust first makes it easier to get it back on the stone.

I use a thin metal pan and cook at 450 F for 7 min first then spin 180 degrees and 5 more minutes and done. The pizza has a dark brown crispy bottom. These are thin to medium crust pizzas.

dough recipe for two pizzas about 12 to 13 inches each.
1 C plus 2 T WATER
1 t salt
2-1/2 T olive oil
3 C flour (you can substitute 1/2 C whole wheat or rye flour)
1 T sugar
1 T yeast
1 t Garlic granules (substitue 1 clove finely chopped garlic)
1 t Onion powder
1 t Oregano
1 t Basil

Place in bread machine on dough cyle for about 5 to 15 minutes (until a smooth round ball).

Remove dough

place 1/8 C flour or corn meal on work surface.

split the dough in half.

roll out the dough (or stretch it out if you must)

put a little flour or corn meal on top of the dough so you can fold it in half without it sticking.

fold it in half and place it on a pizza pan and then unfold it.

let rise for an hour to an hour and a half.

add pizza ingredients:

Sauce For two pizzas
6 oz tomato sauce
1 t Garlic granules
1 t Onion powder
1 t Oregano
1 t Basil
1/2 t ground fennel seed

sprinkle 1/2 clove chpped garlic across each pizza
add fresh mushroom
add freesh green pepper
4 oz of mozarella per pizza
top with very thin onion rings and pepperoni slices
drizzle a little olive oil on top.

guess what's for dinner
- Chris

Wow...I never knew so much about making a pizza...I will definitely try this out...!!! Thanks guys! I will be checking this forum on regular basis to learn from the best...

Kind regards
Miriam

Back
Top Bottom