Is this sushi maker any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sushi maker

Hi,
That didn't look like a very good set to me. I was taught to make sushi from a Japanese woman, and she had only had two special tools. Those were a sushi mat, and a rice cooker. The rice cooker is not essential--I don't cook rice much like she does, although it does make perfect rice. The bamboo mat is like 6 X 8 inches and they only cost about $1.50 at an Asian store, and you only need one, unless you're rolling with a friend (which is a lot of fun). You can probably find them on the internet cheap as well. Use the mat when making the "rolls", like California or Alaska rolls, or veggie rolls, with the nori on the outside. I love these, and they're easy to make. The regular sushi with a piece of raw or cooked fish or egg on can be shaped very simply with your fingers--doesn't take any special equipment. The specialty ingredients you need are short grain rice, seasoned rice vinegar, nori, wasabi, good soy sauce, and pickled ginger. Of course, your fish, shrimp or veggies. I also like to have some toasted sesame seeds on hand, as they add delicious flavor. Yum...:cool:

Thank you, Shellygloo.

I really appreciate it. My other thread about the california rolls produced some very good advise also.

texasgirl - I've been to one sushi restaurant in particular that used these forms though I didn't get to watch them actually use them to see if it was easier or more difficult than just rolling your own. For the price I'd be tempted to order it just to try it I would be, but for now I think you should just stick to rolling to really learn the art. Switching to a form from the rolling mat is kind of like wine bottles switching from cork to screw tops - some of the romance is gone.

Gosh, but it's a kitchen "toy" and like Chocolatechef's passion for them there is a certain lure - but I'll try to refrain!!!!!!

Im totally with Shellygloo (learned from a japanese friend of my mothers) and it's a matter of do you want freedom when making your sushi or do you want it to be restricted by a mold? If you do it with a matt you can control a LOT that you cant with something like that. Not that there's no such thing as molded sushi but that's a different subject.

I've seen more than a couple of TV episodes with actual "sushi masters" - and they only used the mat.

Ironically, the sushi mats look exactly like a set of place mats that I bought back in the 70's for about 50-cents each.

The sushi "kit" does not produce sushi like I've ever seen although it might be fun to use as a novelty... I did like the website referenced by TEXASGIRL.
As suggested by the others a sushi mat is the only tool needed

I wouldnt buy it. Looks like it MIGHT be useful. I will bet that you buy it.... use it and then kick yourself that you spend money on it. Im thinking its junk. Plus its easy to roll your own sushi. I will plead with you that you dont buy it.

Yeah, DEADLY SUSHI - looks like a "novelty" item to me. Kind of like the "Scoop and Strain" ladel is to the soup and stew world.

Also it would take up space... once you can do a rolled sushi a square or even heart shaped sushi roll is rather easy. About what you where saying about matts... yeah, I know what you mean... I often improvised with those disposable dish towels when I didint have a proper matt. I dont know what brand or if they even sell them in the us though...

You're right bucky - novelty yes, kinda neat for presentation though. That's what I always thought when I saw them - mitre boxes! lol. The shapes are a nice size - more condusive to popping in your mouth - but I still like my rice on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom