Could this be really true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlie, I saw an ad for it the other day. I have heard consistently negative reports on ceramic pans. Any nonstick properties don't seem to last very long at all.

Joyce and Aunty and Mamma always say, "Never use a pan that is not pure."

I have never understood these non-stick pans. The coating can come off of these but with regular stainless steel and cast iron pans, just a bit of a spray of Pam and it it well!

Also, perhaps not using high heat of these is well, yes?

With love,
~Cat

I stay away from those "as seen on TV" products. I have a few Teflon pans I use mainly for omelettes and like them. As long as care is taken with them and super high heat isn't used, they last a good while. I don't use any kind of non stick spray like Pam on my cast iron, I don't like the residue it leaves and they don't need it anyway.

Last edited:
Cheryl, you are so right about the proper care of those kinds of pans contributing to long life. I love T-fal products, at least their older ones. The one I have and use often enough was bought pre-1990. Our daughter actually has and uses the first griddle we got, back in 1974. Now THAT was a tough non-stick finish! Don't use metal, don't overheat, don't need to replace!

I would try this first....
I suppose you have to retreat the pan each time you use it, since washing probably takes the coconut oil coating off the pan. Have you tried this yet, AuntBea?

I stay away from those "as seen on TV" products. I have a few Teflon pans I use mainly for omelettes and like them. As long as care is taken with them and super high heat isn't used, they last a good while. I don't use any kind of non stick spray like Pam on my cast iron, I don't like the residue it leaves and they don't need it anyway.

Agreed on all counts :)

I actually have that same pan, so I can speak from experience.

No, I didn't buy it. I was thinking about getting an induction stove, so DW got me a small induction burner at Christmas so I could try it out first. That copper colored pan was a 'free gift' included in the box.

Because of it, I have since replaced my two Teflon style skillets with ceramic ones. They really are better at non-stick. That particular pan is not the best representation of them, as it's coating seems thinner and less durable than the others I have. It has scratched and the surface has discolored (darkened) a bit. But the ones I bought are great for their purpose.

All that stuff they show you like eggs and cheese really works. I haven't badly burnt anything in them, so I can't attest to that, but in every other way I find them superior to Teflon.

I suppose you have to retreat the pan each time you use it, since washing probably takes the coconut oil coating off the pan. Have you tried this yet, AuntBea?

I have done it using vegetable shortening on an 8" Cuisinart skillet that I found in the local thrift shop, it creates a coating similar to the seasoning on a cast iron pan. If you use the treated pan for things like pancakes, frying an egg, etc... and give it a quick "dip & dry" after each use it will stay pretty much non-stick. I do add a little oil, butter etc... each time I use the pan so in that sense it is not truly non-stick. If you use the pan for heavier frying or a soupy mixture then it will need to be seasoned again.

Back
Top Bottom