Le Creuset Satin Finish Pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VitaWright

Cook
I have one of these skillets. They are not like the normal enamel cast iron smooth finishes. It's a rough finish inside the pan. Why did LC do this? Did some designer lose his mind when he thought this would be a good idea? It's impossible to clean. From what I understand you are supposed to build up a seasoning on the surface of it. What in the world is the point of that!?!?!?! That's what I have my nice regular un-enameled cast iron pans for!! My only consolation is that I bought this pan 2nd hand and so I didn't invest a lot of money in it. What a dissappointment!!:mad:

I believe the purpose of this style pan is in high heat cooking and searing. Also, the seasoning will just happen creating a surface that would eventually require very little oil/fat. The knob would need to be removed if you put this in the oven though. It actually sounds like a pretty versatile pan sans the knob. I think they are dishwasher safe which conflicts with my senses when it comes to seasoning these types of pans.

At least you didn't pay much for it. I think, with a little time, this may come to be a favorite. (How's that for positive thinking?) :LOL:

Ikea has the same type of pans, enameled black on the interior and Made in France for a fraction of the cost. I have no issue with the seasoning and cleaning -I don't use my dishwasher-, they work quite well. However, the dark inside doesn't help much when you want to check for food readiness or if the meat is cooked.

Back
Top Bottom