'Sai' Knives?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
53 HRC (a dimensionless number, not a degree or percentage) is pretty soft for most knives not being used to hack through heavy underbrush, and the website doesn't even specify which Rockwell scale is used. That makes it seem a little odd as Japanese knives are usually prized for their hardness. I can find nothing on the steel used in the Sai knives (or anything else about them for that matter!), so it's not likely to be a high-performance steel, but anything kept that soft will likely be very corrosion resistant.

Does seem odd - absolutely NO info about them online whatsoever!!

Speaking of Kasumi, whats peoples views on them? Very pricey in the UK, around the same as shuns if i remeber correctly........

I think Kasumi's are great knives. I didn't see any info on the "Sai" ones, just the picture- and in the pictures they really look like Kasumi's. Doesn't mean they're as good, of course!

53 HRC (a dimensionless number, not a degree or percentage) is pretty soft for most knives not being used to hack through heavy underbrush, and the website doesn't even specify which Rockwell scale is used. That makes it seem a little odd as Japanese knives are usually prized for their hardness. I can find nothing on the steel used in the Sai knives (or anything else about them for that matter!), so it's not likely to be a high-performance steel, but anything kept that soft will likely be very corrosion resistant.

HRc 53. Wow. Those will sharpen in seconds but unfortuately the edge will fold like a napkin. They will have to be realigned with nearly every use.

Dr. T - The Rockwell "C" scale is the only Rockwell scale used for knife hardness.

Here's the list:

A Cemented carbides, thin steel and shallow case hardened steel
B Copper alloys, soft steels, aluminum alloys, malleable iron, etc.
C Steel, hard cast irons, pearlitic malleable iron, titanium, deep case hardened steel and other materials harder than B 100
D Thin steel and medium case hardened steel and pearlitic malleable iron
E Cast iron, aluminum and magnesium alloys, bearing metals
F Annealed copper alloys, thin soft sheet metals
G Phosphor bronze, beryllium copper, malleable irons
H Aluminum, zinc, lead
K, L, M, P, R, S, VBearing metals and other very soft or thin materials, including plastics.

Heck, you get a label saying "440" if you're lucky in some cases! "Surgical stainless" or "high-carbon stainless" anyone?

One of the guys took delivery of the 20cm Sai chefs knife today - its perfectly balanced and tremendously sharp..... seems like a great knife to be fair though he hasnt really put it to any use yet. Paid £79.99 as we dont pay VAT through work ;)

Will see how it gets on and report back

Back
Top Bottom