Canning soup and chilli in 8oz jars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkusUK

Assistant Cook
I had bariatric surgery so my stomach is very small, I would be interested in canning small portions of soup, chilli and bolognese (with meat) in small 8oz jars.
I suppose I could also can in pint jars and eat the same meal twice within a couple of days but I just want to see what you guys thought of canning in 8oz jars before I beguin my canning adventure.

Im struggling to eat all of my fresh produce before it goes bad due to the small quantities I can consume.
Please let me know what you think, or any other suggestions would be great too, I might just be better of buying a second freezer and stocking it with plastic tubs.

We make meals specifically to have extras for later meals from the freezer. There are several portioned bags of bolognese in the freeze, plus other portioned out food in the freezer right now. I don't see the need to waste time and effort to can these things.

Last edited:
I agree with Craig, I think freezing is the way to go.

Try portioning the soup into muffin tins and freeze them, once frozen you can dump the muffins of soup into a zip lock freezer bag for storage until needed.

You could also use individual zip lock sandwich bags to freeze one cup portions of soup. Stand the bag up in a measuring cup or glass to support it while you ladle a one cup portion of soup into it, squeeze out the air, seal and freeze flat for easy storage.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just make sure if you freeze in bags that you either defrost in the pot or bowl you are going to use to reheat because sometimes the freezer can cause the bags to deteriorate and spring leaks. I'll give you 3 guesses how I know and the first 2 don't count! :LOL:

I use both. Plastic food safe microwave able containers for the freezer and home canned soups and beans in 16 oz jars (our family of 2 or 3). There is no reason to can them in big jars if you know your portion size, then use 8 oz jars.

Back
Top Bottom