Egg substitute in cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmwgkjymk

Assistant Cook
Hello, I'm baking a chocolate layers cake, the recipe for filling cream is:

* 200 gr dark chocolate
* 2 eggs
* 400 gr sugar
* 200 gr margarine
* 2 cups of cherry brandy (I may replace with cherry juice for a non alcoholic substitute)

The problem is that the filling is added after the cake is baked (so it would have raw eggs). what can I replace the 2 eggs with?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

That doesn't sound like a cream filling. What do the directions say to do to make the filling?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

That doesn't sound like a cream filling. What do the directions say to do to make the filling?

step1: grating chocolate
step2: mixing margarine and sugar. adding eggs one by one, grated chocolate and then the brandy. mixing until smooth.
step 3: adding it between the cake's layers (which are already baked) and on its sides.

So what should i replace the eggs with?

I haven't tried this, so it's a guess, but maybe heavy cream would work. It has fat and water, like eggs. You might need a thickener, like flour or tapioca, to make it spreadable.

Like I said, just a guess. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I would use either pasteurized eggs if they are available in GB, or liquid egg, which is also pasteurized. Liquid egg equivalent would be ¼ cup per egg.

I haven't tried this, so it's a guess, but maybe heavy cream would work. It has fat and water, like eggs. You might need a thickener, like flour or tapioca, to make it spreadable.

Like I said, just a guess. Hope this gives you some ideas.

how much of each would equal 2 eggs? how many grams of heavy cream/flour do you think I should replace the eggs with?

Sorry but even my imagination cannot wrap itself around that as a filling for a baked cake.

2 cups of cherry brandy? that's an awful lot of liquid.

What is melting the chocolate, surely not just the beating/blending with the other ingredients.

Perhaps it is done over a 'bain marie'? The eggs must be heated/cooked to thicken those ingredients.

Something is missing from your directions.

Sorry but even my imagination cannot wrap itself around that as a filling for a baked cake.

2 cups of cherry brandy? that's an awful lot of liquid.

What is melting the chocolate, surely not just the beating/blending with the other ingredients.

Perhaps it is done over a 'bain marie'? The eggs must be heated/cooked to thicken those ingredients.

Something is missing from your directions.

The book I'm using has many errors/flaws, most of it's recopies need some kind of improvisation.
Do you think a 150gr of heavy cream (instead of the eggs) would do the job?
As for the liquid I'm thinking about putting 1 cup instead of 2.

I agree with Dragnlaw. I'm sure that "cream" should be heated (gently and cautiously), and as she suggests, over a bain marie or possibly in a microwave oven. If it isn't heated, it won't thicken. If it isn't heated the chocolate will be little chunks.

The book I'm using has many errors/flaws, most of it's recopies need some kind of improvisation.
Do you think a 150gr of heavy cream (instead of the eggs) would do the job?
As for the liquid I'm thinking about putting 1 cup instead of 2.

Why are you still using this book?

You have "hit the nail on the head" saying there are many improvisations to be made.

I don't think cream will help by very much. Stick to the two eggs.

mix you choc. sugar and liquor to dissolve the sugar. Heat over low. Stir to melt choc. and sugar.
Beat eggs well.
Add a small amount of hot liquid to the eggs mixing all the time.
Return this mixture to the choc./sugar/etc mixing all the time to prevent the eggs from scrambled cook.
keep stirring over low heat until mixture thickens
mixture may thicken more as it cools.

at that point, when cool and thickened, I would beat it to be able to spread more evenly. Think it depends on how it looks and what you feel is right.

I think that is really a cream custard. All of the above - I'm just guessing at, I have no idea really :rolleyes: without seeing the recipe as written and being able to make some guesses. :angel:
You could start out with trying the first one with cherry juice so as not to ruin expensive liquor! :LOL:

Good luck and be sure to let us know your choice and end results!

I also concur with Andy - research other recipes and use this book only for ideas to find elsewhere.

Last edited:
It's for the kid, he insisted on the specific cakes in this books (which look good).
This seems like a good time for the kid to learn when to stop doing something that isn't working and change course to find something that does. There must be other books or websites where these cakes can be found. You also don't want to waste ingredients because the directions either don't work or aren't detailed enough.

Last edited:
Unfortunately where I live pasteurized eggs are not available, any other ideas?

I believe I mentioned liquid eggs? Here is a liquid egg product available in Great Britain and it is made with pasteurized eggs.

liquid-egg-whole-mf_eg03.jpg

Or check the British Egg Products Association (BEPA) website for other brands.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everyone, especially you GotGarlic (for suggesting cream),

I ended up replacing the 2 eggs with 250gr of heavy cream. and replacing the 2 cups of cherry brandy with 1 cup of cherry juice.

And it worked at the end.

NOTE: I posted the solution in case anyone else had a similar problem

Never mind, as stated in my previous post things worked out. Thanks anyhow.

Wow... sorry, somehow I missed your post. Good for you! Glad it worked out!

Now you'll probably have a lot of people (self included) wanting to know the recipe and a possible picture? I think cherries has to be one of my favourite flavours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom