Pheasant casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Just the thing on a cold, dreich Autumn or winter evening.

Pheasant casserole
1 pheasant or 1 kilo pieces
50g seedless raisins
15g flour
450mls water
150ml cider (the alcoholic type) or white wine
65g butter
2 sticks of celery
1 carrot
1 onion
2 cooking apples and 1 dessert apple
300mls of stock (if possible, made from giblets of bird)
pinch of mixed spice
150ml yoghurt or cream
salt and pepper, to taste

Soak the raisins in the cider/wine for 2 hours. Peel/core the apple and slice. Chop the onion and celery finely. If using the whole bird, truss, dust with flour and the salt, pepper and spice.
Melt the butter, add the pheasant and slowly cook to brown the bird, then drain and set aside. Gently fry the onion or a few minutes, then add the celery and cooking apples and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the remaining flour and cook for a minute or so Add the raisins, stock and cider and bring to the boil. Turn down heat, put lid on casserole/saucepan and simmer gently for one and a half hours or until the bird cooked.
Lift the bird/pieces out and set aside.
If the sauce in the pan is a little thin, leave the lid off and boil to reduce to a thicker consistency. Add the yoghurt or cream and gently reheat (do not allow to boil).
Meantime, peel and core the dessert apple and slice into fine rings. Gently fry in butter and use to garnish the bird.

Serve with boiled potatoes and seasonal green vegetables.

Ish, this looks great! Definite cut/paste into my files. One question though. What is "mixed spice"? Is it a regional seasoning mixture from Scotland? Do you have a recipe so I can mix my own here?

Last edited:
Allen - mixed spice is sold here ready mixed - but I found this explanation on the web a while back. It is used in sweet and savoury dishes in the UK. The Welsh use it, for instance, in Welsh Cakes (regional speciality); it's used in apple pies, Christmas cakes etc.

"Mixed spice is a mix of ground spices that is available
premixed here in England. It is typically 60% coriander seeds, 30% cinnamon, 5% nutmeg, with small traces of ginger and clove. Sometimes it has 10-15% caraway or 10% cassia mixed in.

Since almost all "cinnamon" sold in North America is really cassia, and cassia has a stronger flavor than true cinnamon, a North American formula for mixed spice would be 70% coriander, 15% cinnamon, 5% nutmeg, and 10% caraway."

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom