Leeks in a lemon and cream sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
We're having seared salmon steaks for dinner this evening. This is one of my favourite vegetable dishes to eat with grilled salmon.

8 leeks – discard the darkest, bitter green bits
1 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
100ml white wine
200ml hot vegetable stock
2 fresh bay leaves, torn
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tbsp creme fraiche

Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Tear back and discard the first 2 layers of leaves from the leeks. Slice into 5cm pieces, then wash thoroughly.

Place the butter in a large, shallow flameproof dish and place on the hob. Heat until foaming, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until softened but not coloured. Add the leeks and toss them in the butter, then pour the wine and stock over. Add the bay leaves, lemon zest and crème fraîche and season.

Cover with foil. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until the leeks are tender and there is a lovely creamy broth.

If you like a cheese taste, sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and flash under a grill until golden and bubbling!

Thanks! We love lemon and leeks and butter! Sounds great.

Can't wait for spring with the leeks are growing!

Ishbel, this looks wonderful. My whole family likes leeks so I'll be making it soon..Thank you.

kadesma:)

What a beautiful accompaniment for salmon! I would be tempted to add some halved new potatoes and a grind of black pepper. We Heartlanders need our starch. :-p

Last edited:
Ishbel said:
Yes, I've used baby leeks, too!
Aren't they lovely little things? I've always been a huge leek fan, and I like how the UK and Irish cuisines so readily embrace and make use of these great veggies :)

One of my favourite 'comfort' dishes is one that my mum used to prepare.

Top n tail the leeks, and carefully clean to get rid of the grit - cut to no more than 5-6 inch lengths. Then blanch them for 5-6 minutes. Remove and drain and blot. Wrap the leeks with good smoked ham (no shortage of that in Ireland!) and lay on the bottom of a buttered ovenproof dish. Make a good strong cheese sauce - enough to just cover the leeks. Pour over the leeks and sprinkle with a little more grated cheddar cheese. Put into the oven for 30 minutes or so.

I just want to say that we tried this tonight w/ Salmon and loved it! We have this recipe we make when kids are away called Sausage and leek shepherd's pie and this was very reminiscent of that (minus the sausage, of coarse).

I never expected my kids to like it, but we always have them try stuff! They were so grossed out, it was hilarious! :LOL: but hubby and I enjoyed it a little to much (only about 2 servings left in the whole recipe!) thanks so much for putting this out there!

Back
Top Bottom