Stuffed Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diane1415

Senior Cook
Union City Michigan next to a Nudist Resort
Does anyone have a good recipe for Vegan Stuffed Peppers?

I was thinking of a miripois with mushrooms and kidney beans.

This would be a Main Course for meat eaters - I am just really tired of cooking food I can't eat.

I thought of pairing it with corn timbales (I realise I would not be able to eat those) and a Strawberry custard.

I have had this recipe in my files for awhile, but I have not tried it. This recipe sounds like it would work for you.

Stuffed Peppers

4 large bell peppers (red, yellow, or green)
1 medium onion
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 large can of tomatoes
1 can of black beans
1/2 cup of grated vegan cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F. In large bowl mix cooked brown rice, diced onion, beans, and tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Cut off tops of peppers and clean out the insides. Stuff with mixture. Sprinkle grated cheese on top. Pour 1/2 cup of water in a shallow casserole dish and place stuffed peppers in this. Cook for 30 minutes or until peppers are tender. Serves: 4

mushrooms spinach rice(so many kinds to choose from) beans (again a lot to choose from) veg broth, cheeses (gooey ones like swiss greuyer provalone mozzarella as well as sharp ones for taste parmesan and romano)

I also like to make a veg gratin in the pepper...sweet potato, cerlery root parsnip turnip slices (thin) with cream and cheese and herbs (thyme parsley) and bake until tender (about an hour) you can par cook the vegetables to spped up the process if you like.

bulgar wheat and small chopped veggies with herbs and spices also very good. cinnamon adn cilantro for example.

When I cook for vegetarian friends, and I do quite a lot, my other guests never seem to realize we are going meatless. Had black bean soup last night...total vegan recipe...never would guess...so much flavor.

Last edited:
I make it with rise, carrot, onion mixture. Unfortunately i don't keep the recipe. I kind of just do it. 3/4 of the rise + 1/4 of crated carrots and onions. Oh, couple of spoons tomato sauce or even ketchup. I should make some and put it on the paper. :(

Diane is looking for vegan recipes, so no cheese, milk, eggs, etc.

I am like Charlie and don't use a recipe. I usually use onions, mushrooms, rice and spicy black beans that I have pureed into a paste to sort of hold the filling together.

Michael in FtW said:
Actually, Giada De Laurentiis had some veggie recipes today (her mother is a herbivore) - and one might work for stuffing either peppers or tomatoes. Specifically - the Lental Meatloaf portion from Veronica's Veggie Meatloaf with Checca Sauce

I saw that show, Michael, and her Lental Loaf looked delicious. Even my 8 year old grandson thought it looked yummy. I think that would make a great filling for stuffed peppers.

I make a Mexican style stuffed pepper, filled with a mix of refried beans, ground beef, taco seasoning, shredded cheese and Pace Piquante Sauce. Sometimes I also add a can of green chilies. One could easily substitute rice for the meat. You could also add some whole kernal corn. I serve the peppers on a bed of shredded lettuce with sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and tortilla chips. Garnish with sliced black olives and a few slices of jarred jalapeno peppers, if you wish.

To save time, I've found it easier to chop the peppers into small square pieces before cooking. They're not really stuffed then, and the recipe turns into more of a "pepper casserole", but it tastes just as good, and saves time having to cut the peppers when eating :)

Back
Top Bottom