Japanese Mugwort Soba Noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Has anyone tasted these?

I have quite a large Asian noodle collection (LOVE to try different types in different recipes), & my mom sent me a package of pale green Japanese Soba noodles flavored with Mugwort that I've been putting off trying, even tho I do have a recipe for it.

Now I know from my past & more intense herbal days (I used to do herbal landscaping, & talks, etc., etc.) that Mugwort (which grows virtually everywhere as a roadside weed) is considered a medicinal herb & is supposed to be extremely bitter. I've never tasted it, but do like the fragrance. (And oddly enough, I used to have a horse who LOVED to eat the stuff - lol!!!)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here had ever had the Mugwort-flavored variety of soba noodles & could give me an idea of what they taste like.

Would you call it bitter?

I know the strong individual fragrance of Mugwort, but was wondering if or how bitter the noodles are so I can pair them with the proper ingredients (assertive or nonassertive).

Not the ones I had....kind of a suggestion...a faint impression of the aroma of bitterness...very very subtle.

Generally the % of mugwort to buckwheat will vary from brand to brand. I think the one I tried was 25/70/5.

I say pull a single noodle outta that pack and do a test before you shop for your accompaniments. It's what we do in resto kitchens.

Back
Top Bottom