Ok to use a cast iron casserole in Crock Pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwarchitect

Assistant Cook
I'm planning on making a bread pudding recipe that suggests using a casserole or souffle dish inside the Crock Pot (w/a trivet and 3/4 C hot water in bottom of the ceramic dish that comes w/the Crock pot).

I haven't found too many ceramic casseroles that fit in my oval crockpot (Rival 6-qt. SmartPot), but today I found an adorable 2 qt. round Le Creuset french oven (cast iron/enamel)(on sale!) that fits well. Does anyone have experience w/this? Does the insert have to be ceramic or is the cast iron ok?

I think it will work fine. The enamel glaze on the LeCrueset is similar to ceramic. You are steaming the bread pudding in the LeC and it can easily stand up to the steam.

Thx Andy. So, does it matter whether or not I use the LeC lid (under the Crock Pot lid)? I wasn't planning on it.

Because of the density of the cast-iron of the Le Creuset, you might want to add some time to your recipe or even begin the dish on HIGH to allow the container to heat up adequately. Don't think the lid is necessary, since the crockpot is already covered.

hwarchitect said:
Thx Andy. So, does it matter whether or not I use the LeC lid (under the Crock Pot lid)? I wasn't planning on it.

Depends on whether the recipe called for a covered dish in the crock pot or not.

hwarchitect said:
I'm planning on making a bread pudding recipe that suggests using a casserole or souffle dish inside the Crock Pot (w/a trivet and 3/4 C hot water in bottom of the ceramic dish that comes w/the Crock pot).

I haven't found too many ceramic casseroles that fit in my oval crockpot (Rival 6-qt. SmartPot), but today I found an adorable 2 qt. round Le Creuset french oven (cast iron/enamel)(on sale!) that fits well. Does anyone have experience w/this? Does the insert have to be ceramic or is the cast iron ok?

Check the manual that came with the CP. Or, go to the Rival site and you can order an insert that will work with your model. I have a Rival programmable, and you cannot put a trivet in it. Nor, does the manufacturer sell/offer an insert for my model. I wouldn't put cast iron in a CP, just my opinion.

Here is a recipe where you don't need an insert:

http://baking.about.com/od/crockpotbaking/r/breadpudding.htm

Here's one I would make, if my CP allowed inserts:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/slowcooker/kahlua-bread-pudding.htm

Last edited:
mish- actually, Rival's manual or website doesn't even mention using anything besides the ceramic insert that came w/the CP. I have a feeling its a liability issue, which is frustrating.

I'm thinking that maybe I could take the original insert out all together, put a trivet in there, put the uncovered Le Creuset pot in with the original Crock Pot lid on top of everything. Then I wouldn't risk cracking the original ceramic insert because of the trivet.

hwarchitect said:
mish- actually, Rival's manual or website doesn't even mention using anything besides the ceramic insert that came w/the CP. I have a feeling its a liability issue, which is frustrating.

I'm thinking that maybe I could take the original insert out all together, put a trivet in there, put the uncovered Le Creuset pot in with the original Crock Pot lid on top of everything. Then I wouldn't risk cracking the original ceramic insert because of the trivet.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Not a liability issue... just using a cooking utensil as it was intended to be used. I don't use the CP very often (mostly for roasts), but would hate to ruin it with one recipe, where there are alternative cooking methods. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
I have a 6 Quart Rival Programmable Crock Pot and I wouldn't put anything in it except for a receipe that calls for a Crock Pot.

That is my opinion - have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

SUCCESS! After extensive research in addition to the advice from you guys, I took the plunge and made the bread pudding in an 8 1/2" Luminarc casserole (like Pyrex but nicer), sitting on a cast iron trivet in 2 cups of water in the bottom of the original Crock Pot ceramic insert. The only cover was the glass Crock Pot lid. Nothing broke or cracked, and I was able to bring the DELICIOUS dessert (with a caramel-bourbon sauce) over to my sister-in-law's in the Luminarc, which made a more attractive presentation than the big clunky crock pot would have.

Some of the older cookbooks briefly describe this steaming technique, as if its used all the time, which I think it was before our lawsuit-happy mentality kicked in. I really do think this is a liability issue. As with everything, something could go wrong if you're not careful, and someone somewhere has made a profit off of it, at Crock Pot's expense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom