Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   BBQ & Smokin' Meats (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   Hi all, new here, can someone post pictures of their shoulders/butts BEFORE cooked (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/hi-all-new-here-can-someone-post-pictures-of-their-shoulders-butts-before-cooked-37315.html)

duckdown 08-09-2007 02:51 PM

Hi all, new here, can someone post pictures of their shoulders/butts BEFORE cooked
 
Hi folks! Greetings from the great white north (Well, it's only Canada so it's not so great)

I just discovered the forum and it looks like a great place, especially since I've been experimenting with the whole smoking thing since last year but haven't had any resources to turn to.... So I learn by trial & error I guess...

My question, though, since "pulled pork" is basically NON existant here in the Toronto area, I mean literally maybe 2 restaurants even serve it, this is not a common cut of meat that I find in my local supermarkets.

Yesterday I went to to a grocery store and purchased a piece of meat that said to be a butt, but the entire thing was wrapped in PIG skin the entire way around. It was almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove it and I ended up completely butchering the cut of meat. So I went to another local supermarket and found some decent pre-cut pieces, labelled as "picnic shoulder" (all small, under 2 kilos) that only had a little bit of the skin or fat-cap or whatever you call it on it and I was able to easily remove it...


Although I've got it smoking away now, I can already tell this is going to yield barely anything at all. How come I cannot find this cut of meat readily available... And when I do find these large shoulders why are they completely surrounded the whole way around by skin? Can someone maybe post some pictures of the exact cuts they would go and pick up from their supermarket or butcher so next time I'm there maybe I can look for something similar

Thanks in advance for all the help, and I look forward to being a regular! :)

Cheers

keltin 08-09-2007 03:03 PM

The title of this thread sounds sooooooooo X-Rated! :lol:

Katie H 08-09-2007 03:03 PM

Hi, duckdown. First, welcome to DC. Don't worry you'll get plenty of answers. You just have to be patient.

I can't help you with your question, but we have many knowledgeable pitmasters here who will be able of offer fine advice.

P.S. Loved the title of your thread. Almost naughty.

keltin 08-09-2007 03:20 PM

Iíve never seen a Boston Butt with the skin on it. For it to be wrapped ďcompletelyĒ around the meat, it must have been a shoulder. Was there a large round bone in it?

As for the skin on the shoulder, you can leave that on! Iíve heard of some people taking it off because they want to get more smoke in the meat, but I always leave it on. The skin and fat underneath it help to keep the meat moist (self basting as the fat renders). The, after it has smoked to 200 or 205 degrees Fahrenheit, the skin is really easy to remove, and the meat pulls perfectly.

Here is a site with a picture of some shoulders before they are cooked. Notice the skin is on.

After smoking, you can see the meat has pulled back and the leg bone is visible.

For the smaller picnic cut, also leave the skin on, and place the meat in the smoker with the skin side up. That way, the fat under the skin will render and drip down through the meat thus basting it.

The Boston Butts I get look like this (no skin).

Oh, and Welcome to DC by the way! :smile:

Renee Attili 08-09-2007 03:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2918Attachment 2919Attachment 2920Attachment 2921Attachment 2922
Welcome!:rolleyes: Hope this helps

Andy M. 08-09-2007 03:48 PM

Hi, duckdown. Welcome to DC.

The photos keltin shows are the whole story. The piece with the skin all around is not what you want. That's a cut from lower down on the leg, near the foot. These are either the ham form the rear leg or the picnic from the front leg.

The Boston Butt is the pig's front shoulder. It's higher up than the picnic or the ham. It can be either bone-in or boneless.

duckdown 08-09-2007 03:49 PM

Awesome :)

Thanks for the zippy responses! :)

Mine indeed looked like the ones keltin had a link to (surrounded by the skin, I guess it was a whole shoulder yes... those were the only large kind I was able to find... I really would like to find them with no skin on them also like your other link.. I don't know why they don't sell them prepped in that way here in Canada; it's like pulled pork hasn't caught on here or something.. It's madness I tell ya!

Thanks for all the help so far! Mines hovering at around 175 degrees right now outside and doesnt seem to be climbing! :(

I wonder what I'm doing wrong.. Maybe its because I'm using my propane BBQ and the indirect heat method, maybe I should crank the heat... Anyone ever heard of this happening? :(

Thanks!!

Andy M. 08-09-2007 03:54 PM

You will hit a temp standstill for a while. Keep on cooking until you get to around 200-210 F.

The cut you have with the skin all around, is a different cut from the Boston butt which is higher up on the leg. While the picnic/ham will work for pulled pork, the lower fat to lean ratio effects the outcome.

keltin 08-09-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckdown
Thanks for all the help so far! Mines hovering at around 175 degrees right now outside and doesnt seem to be climbing! :(

I wonder what I'm doing wrong.. Maybe its because I'm using my propane BBQ and the indirect heat method, maybe I should crank the heat... Anyone ever heard of this happening? :(

No worries! Itís quite common for the temp to hover like that. As the fat and tendons begin to render and break down, the temp will stop rising for a bit. Rest assured, it will eventually start to climb again once the majority of the fat and tendons have rendered and broken down.

ella/TO 08-09-2007 04:39 PM

Welcome to DC, and may I add, I think Toronto is pretty great!!!....lol
Enjoy your time here, it's a great site!!

llvllagical_llkook 08-09-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckdown
Mine indeed looked like the ones keltin had a link to (surrounded by the skin, I guess it was a whole shoulder yes... those were the only large kind I was able to find... I really would like to find them with no skin on them also like your other link.. I don't know why they don't sell them prepped in that way here in Canada; it's like pulled pork hasn't caught on here or something.. It's madness I tell ya!

I work at a restaurant that serves pulled pork. We don't buy it already made since there are no stores around that sell it. We simply cut the pork into thinner slices, make some brime and toss it in the smoker. Once that's done, we take 2 forks, 1 in each hand and pull each and every piece. We put it into a large insert and store it in the fridge until needed. When it is in the insert, it rests with some BBQ sauce. We take it out at around 205F. It's smoking in there before I come so I'm not sure how long it is smoked for. I can try and find out for you.

I'm also looking to find where pulled pork is sold but have had no luck.

keltin 08-09-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckdown
I really would like to find them with no skin on them also like your other link.. I don't know why they don't sell them prepped in that way here in Canada; it's like pulled pork hasn't caught on here or something.. It's madness I tell ya!

I donít know why you canít find a Boston Butt in Canada? Do you have a Super Wal-Mart there? Wal-Mart sells them here, so they should sell them in Canada as well?

The Boston Butt is part of the pig (obviously), so they must be doing something with that piece of meat? Sometimes that cut is called a Boston Blade Roast, or just Pork Blade Roast. Can you find that?

Since it is part of the shoulder, perhaps they are leaving it attached and selling it as a whole shoulder?

Andy M. 08-09-2007 05:02 PM

It's not at all unusual that certain cuts of meat are not sold all over the country. You cannot get a tri-tip roast in New England but it's the biggest seller in California for grilling!

If BBQ is not big in Toronto, the assumption is that there is no market for the cuts of meat that are used for BBQ.

Keep asking for what you want and eventually the store may start carrying it.

keltin 08-09-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M.
It's not at all unusual that certain cuts of meat are not sold all over the country. You cannot get a tri-tip roast in New England but it's the biggest seller in California for grilling!

If BBQ is not big in Toronto, the assumption is that there is no market for the cuts of meat that are used for BBQ.

Keep asking for what you want and eventually the store may start carrying it.

Good point, I canít get a tri tip here unless I go to a butcher and ask for it....and that depends on what he has on hand at the time! Heck, even a London Broil is something of a rarity here!

So, I wonder what they do with the cuts that arenít popular.......export them?

Katie H 08-09-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keltin
Heck, even a London Broil is something of a rarity here!

Yes, keltin, I have a difficult time finding London broil/flank steak here. When I do find it, it's quite expensive.

Andy M. 08-09-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie E
Yes, keltin, I have a difficult time finding London broil/flank steak here. When I do find it, it's quite expensive.

Katie, around here, London broil is shoulder steak not flank steak. One of the little twists that makes knowing meats a bit harder.

Katie H 08-09-2007 06:34 PM

Interesting, Andy. It's labeled London broil/flank steak in the grocery stores here.

Andy M. 08-09-2007 07:35 PM

Yeah, I think most places flank steak is considered London broil. Maybe just in NE...

Alix 08-09-2007 07:53 PM

Hey duckdown, welcome aboard. And look for the pork blade as someone mentioned. I actually think things are labelled differently in different parts of the world. I never heard of London Broil or skirt steak before hanging out here.

duckdown 08-10-2007 12:23 AM

Thanks alot for the advice and friendly welcome, all! :rofl:

You guys were right about temperature... I was SO close to pulling it off the heat when it was staying at a certain temperature... I was REALLY getting nervous when the temperature reading actually went LOWER for a point... But sure enough, it finally started raising up to temperature and I brought it inside to feast :chef:

I used the rub that an admin from here had posted in the other "Pork Shoulder" thread, but to be honest it was way way too spicy for me... I'm not sure if it was from the cayanne in the rub, or the fact that I used smoked paprika in place of regular paprika... Either way, I think I'm more of a fan of the sweet flavorings rather than the HOT kind.. For example, the last time I smoked ribs I used another random rub recipe from the internet, and I really thought chili powder flavoring ruined it.. My whole family agreed I should just leave it out completely next time... Guess thats just me though! :wacko:

They definitely do not sell anything called just "boston butt" around here, I was looking for one like crazy after I had bought the completely wrong cut of meat the first time... There ARE many different kinds of random "pork roasts" I see around though.. Not sure how I will go about identifying which of these labelled "pork roasts" are indeed a butt..

Once again thanks though! I plan on doing another one next weekend for a bunch of relatives coming down, does anyone else have any favorite recipes for a dry rub & mop?

Thanks alot!! Cheers :chef:

IainDaniel 08-10-2007 09:17 AM

Go to your Butcher. I have a local butcher, mind you they compete in BBQ contests, that I get my Pork Shoulders from. I am in Brantford, Ontario.

Occasionally you see a Picnic Shoulder in the Grocery store, but your best bet is to hit up a butcher.

As a matter of fact I just bought a shoulder yesterday, seasoned it up last night, throwing it on the smoke later today(using applewood), to be served tomorrow. It is about 17lbs.

Andy M. 08-10-2007 09:27 AM

This diagram will help.

IainDaniel 08-10-2007 03:37 PM

Just threw it on the smoke... can't wait :D

mbasiszta 04-15-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 468626)
This diagram will help.

Informative site. Thanks. Wonder why they don't show the other parts, particularly ham hocks or other bones with meat used a lot in stews and soups. I love thick sliced bacon, too.

Andy M. 04-15-2008 01:49 PM

I guess there is only so much you can show in one diagram.

Bacon is pork belly and is the outer layer of meat on the spare ribs. The hocks are at the end of the leg cuts just above the hooves.

mbasiszta 04-15-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 587820)
I guess there is only so much you can show in one diagram.

Bacon is pork belly and is the outer layer of meat on the spare ribs. The hocks are at the end of the leg cuts just above the hooves.

Some people even eat the hooves (pigs feet). Now that I haven't tried. haha

Like you, said 'you can almost eat everything from a pig. I love pork rinds. I could buy them freshly cooked in Australia. Man, pork rinds the size of a dinner plate. Mmmmm:rolleyes:

Maverick2272 04-15-2008 09:21 PM

I saw the title and just had to click on the thread and check it out!:lol:

I asked DW if I could post a picture of my butt before I cooked it, and she replied, "Post a picture of your butt and it will be cooked!"

Andy M. 04-15-2008 09:26 PM

Post a picture of your butt and your goose will be cooked...

... so to speak

Fisher's Mom 04-15-2008 10:14 PM

Look guys, if you gotta post a picture - make sure it's your shoulders.

Dave Hutchins 04-15-2008 10:34 PM

Cute guys real cute

suziquzie 04-15-2008 10:41 PM

But not if they are hairy shoulders...........

Fisher's Mom 04-15-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins (Post 588214)
Cute guys real cute

That's what I'm asking for. Cute guys. Really cute guys. (Where is your picture, Dave????)

AllenOK 04-16-2008 10:43 AM

I'd post a picture of my shoulder, but, it's really hairy. So, suzie, rest assured, my shoulders (and the rest of my hairiness) will remain offline.

I did hit the link about where different cuts of pork come from. I really liked the quote that "you can eat every part of a pig, except the squeal". I've heard to squeal was put into air raid sirens, way-back-when.

BTW, who was the "robber baron" business tychoon that had the "pig dissassembly" line at the start of the 20th Century? That's where the "squeal" bit came from.

Chief Longwind Of The North 04-16-2008 11:47 AM

Ok, so I'm one of the guys who regularly kidnaps a topic. So this time, I'll do the opposite and bring one back.

You don't absolutley have to use a boston Butt for pulled pork. Look for any pork roast that has a good deal of connecting tissue and fat in it, with minimum bones. The fat floats on top and can be removed if you so desire. The connecting tissue renders out collagen, a cousin to protien that is healthy and ahs a slippery viscosity that adds rich texture as well as nutritional value to the final dish. Usually, no sauces are added to the pulled pork while it's cooking. Rather, make a variety of sauces, such as honey-mustard, tomato based barbecue sauce, pineapple sweet & sour suace, etc, put them in seperate bowls, and let each person use the sauce they want on the pulled pork sandwich.

The roast should be either cooked low & slow using the indirect heat method on your BBQ, or in a slow cooker or in a covered roasting pan in a slow oven. Seasonings usually amount to a bit of garlic, a diced onion, and salt 'n pepper to taste.

If you can get country-styled pork ribs in your area, with plenty of meat, fat, and connecting tissue, they work very well for pulled pork. You can also use any resultant broth for soups, though I mix a major part of it back into the pork, once it's pulled. You can also use pork steaks. Both of these, of course, are conditional on price. both cuts sell cheap where I live.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Maverick2272 04-16-2008 11:48 AM

The safer of the two...
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully this is not too hairy to qualify!

Barb L. 04-16-2008 11:56 AM

:rofl: Buddy, you are a Hoot !!! Cute freckles, nice smile !!! :lol:

suziquzie 04-16-2008 12:28 PM

Ha! I was gonna say DORK!!!!!
too funny!

Fisher's Mom 04-16-2008 12:48 PM

You kill me Buddy! That's the best. And Barb L is right, you're really cute!

Chief Longwind Of The North 04-16-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom (Post 588522)
You kill me Buddy! That's the best. And Barb L is right, you're really cute!

Allright! Now you've done it.:mad: Maverick is going to be hopping around his living room like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer crying "I'm cute! I'm cute!" Then he's going to lift from the floor and levitate toward the ceiling, bumping his head which will cause a concussion. He'll be in the hospitol for a couple of days and his DW will be sneaking in with his favorite foods, which of course won't be allowed. She'll get caught, and they'll be patting her down every time she goes to visit him.

She'll get indignant and poke a rough-handed male nurse in the nose, which will send that poor guy to the emergency room to get the bleeding stopped. The emergency nurse will laugh at his predicament which will just make him more angry. **** rush out to his car and race through the nightime streets to release some of his anger and get a speeding ticket. Then he'll be even hotter, drive carefully home while quietly seething. His wife will greet him with her usual "Hi Honey. How was your day?" to which he'll reply "If you must know, it was *$#@* lousy. I'm going to bed. This will put her in tears and she will call her mother, who will say "I told you not to marry that bum. All he does is make you cry. You come on over here and sleep in your old bedroom tonight. I have it all made up and ready for you." The wife will take her mother up on the offer. Soon, she will be talked into divorcing her husband because he's such a jerk, and all because you had to go and tell Maverick that he's cute.

See how dangerous women are?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's it. I win. I am now the longest winded person who can fill up a server full of memory with absolutely nothing of importance.

I AM THE CHAMPION!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Fisher's Mom 04-16-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North (Post 588695)
Allright! Now you've done it.:mad: Maverick is going to be hopping around his living room like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer crying "I'm cute! I'm cute!" Then he's going to lift from the floor and levitate toward the ceiling, bumping his head which will cause a concussion. He'll be in the hospitol for a couple of days and his DW will be sneaking in with his favorite foods, which of course won't be allowed. She'll get caught, and they'll be patting her down every time she goes to visit him.

She'll get indignant and poke a rough-handed male nurse in the nose, which will send that poor guy to the emergency room to get the bleeding stopped. The emergency nurse will laugh at his predicament which will just make him more angry. **** rush out to his car and race through the nightime streets to release some of his anger and get a speeding ticket. Then he'll be even hotter, drive carefully home while quietly seething. His wife will greet him with her usual "Hi Honey. How was your day?" to which he'll reply "If you must know, it was *$#@* lousy. I'm going to bed. This will put her in tears and she will call her mother, who will say "I told you not to marry that bum. All he does is make you cry. You come on over here and sleep in your old bedroom tonight. I have it all made up and ready for you." The wife will take her mother up on the offer. Soon, she will be talked into divorcing her husband because he's such a jerk, and all because you had to go and tell Maverick that he's cute.

See how dangerous women are?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's it. I win. I am now the longest winded person who can fill up a server full of memory with absolutely nothing of importance.

I AM THE CHAMPION!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Wait, does that mean you don't want to hear how cute we think you are???


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.