Pumpkin Peanut Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sage™

Senior Cook
this is one of my favs..its a little rich :)
Pumpkin Peanut Soup

2 T butter
1 1/4 C chopped onion chopped fine
1/4 C chopped shallots
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 t marjoram
1/4 t thyme
3 C chicken broth
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 1/2 C lowfat milk
1/2 C peanut butter

melt butter and add onion,shallots and garlic
cook til tender
Add marjoram, thyme, pumpkin and chicken broth
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
reduce heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes
Remove from heat, stir in milk and peanut butter
Return to burner and heat throughly on low heat for 5-10 minutes
Serves 6

It doesn't say to puree it but I do with my hand blender. Its good with half and half instead of milk too.

Very similar to.........

Sweet potato and peanut soup:

Cook one medium chopped onion, 1 tsp brown sugar and 1 tsp salt in 2-3 TBS butter until soft. Add 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, and a couple of large cloves of minced garlic, and cook 1 minute more.

Add 3 cups of chicken stock, 2 cups of water and 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin. Stir in 3 TBS of creamy peanut butter.

Simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 minutes or more.

Puree all in blender and return to pot. Stir in 2 TBS of fresh minced cilantro ( I usually cheat and use the kind that comes in a tube)

Check the seasoning and serve.

This will have a little bite so drop the cayenne lower is your family doesn't like spicy soup.

Are there any other squashes that these recipes will work with? I know pumpkin is very distinct.

I have never tried it with other squash. I guess any that has a texture and strong flavor like pumpkin would work..maybe butternut or acorn? Its just so easy to use the can of pumpkin..lol. I also make it with just onions most of the time since I don't always have shallots. its just a simple and fast recipe and does't taste like it is :)

This thread totally reminds me of an episode of West Wing, where Bartlet is chastising (in absentia) those congressional members who opted to miss a State dinner in order to arrange an emergency session of congress.

He says to Josh, "You know what they're server for the starting course? Pumpkin Soup, Cheese Gnocchi, and a Chevre Brioche."

Josh says, "Were any of those things that you just said...food?"

Meanwhile, I had already been drooling! A rare time when I knew more than Josh!

(Now, tell me that at least a few people know West Wing!)

Back
Top Bottom