What's the status of your freezer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
im a price conscious buyer and when stuff goes on sale i usually stock up. my freezer is pretty full right now

10 pounds of pork butt for .89 a pound
2 racks of pork spareribs that were .99 a pound
15 pounds of chicken thighs for .77 a pound
2 whole chickens for .69 a pound
about 10 pounds of chicken breast that was .89 a pound
about 10 pounds of cross rib roast that was $1.69 a pound

oh yeah, i got 2 spiral cut hams that i stumbled on last week for .59 a pound !!!!

my freezer is not too big. there's venison in various forms.
although..... minus that meat-
aside from some mussels, 4 stouffer's dinners, a container of leftover cooked rice, blintzes, & frozen appys, my freezer's empty. there's crinkle-cut carrot & corn, too.
toaster-scrambles that neither of us got brave enuff for. those reside, too.
if we get a place that allows room for a chest freezer, then i'll begin by going for a butcher's offerings & freezing that.

Freezers are certainly the way to go. Its amazing how much money you can save buying meat and veges in bulk. I have a food saver so everything gets packaged correctly and because it sucks out all the air from the package, I manage to fit so much more into the freezer.
I have an assortment of meats -beef steaks, lamb chops, venison, chicken breasts, frozen peas, beans, onions, broccoli, pumpkin. All purchased at rock bottom prices from the local butcher.
Next to my All American Canner, my freezer helps to keep us well fed at reasonable prices.

97 guns.

I dont know how to reply to someone with longer posts in quotes.Those are some great deals.I really like to compare prices and stock up when the prices are low.My freezer is however full of these good deals.Mind you they are not of the caliber you have mentioned.I must have 2 partial bags of jimmy dean sausage pattys that are so freezer burned that they are hardley reconizable.Eggo waffels anyone?My wife seems to be a collector.Too bad nobody likes them.Cheap popcicles all over the place.Small freezer bags of pizza pockets,cream puffs,tacitos and the lone Marie calender pot pie.Frozen chicken And pasta dinners.And the worst of all is tyson chicken nuggets.The freezer is my wifes domain and her idea of cooking.Sometimes I get lucky and And get a corner of it to stash something that might make a good meal.

I have a large upright full of deals like you mentioned. I only buy meats when they are on sale and then I buy in bulk, break it up into meal size portions and use the foodsaver to prevent freezer burn.

They are a mixed bag at the moment. Have not done too much of a stock up, have to do that again soon. The chest freeezer (long-term storage) has some chicken thighs, several bags of bagels, bacon, a few jimmy dean sausage rolls, two bone-in pork loin roasts I got on sale a $1.49/ lb, a turkey, ham bones, a bag of freezy pops, and lots of freezer packs. The downstairs freezer (kitchen over flow) has ice cream (2/$5) a large cut of beef, frozen bread dough. The upstaies freezer (kitchen) frozen veggies, bananas, butter, containers of soup, breakfast sausage, pierogie, hot dogs, salt pork, pizza dough, and french fries.

We have not gone on a stock-up shopping trip in a while but will need too soon.

We buy our meat by the animal or side at different times of the year from a farmer friend. I currently have about 110lbs. of beef, 65lbs. of lamb, 40lbs. of chicken, 20lbs. pork and several fish and some venison. I also have a couple of turkeys and a few cured hams. Then lots of fruit and veggies (from the garden) that will be eaten by springtime in order to replenish. I have 2 large upright freezers and then a smaller freezer and the freezer with my fridge. I also have several pre-made dinners for night that are a little more hectic. I like to have smaller meals/snacks as well, so I have things like pre-made lahmacun (Armenian/Turkish lamb pide), hors d'oeuvres that freeze well, burritos, soups, homemade kebap meat, mini homemade pizzas, homemade waffles and french toast sticks, etc.

Our freezers save us a lot of money, actually. We're in pretty good shape with our freezers.

I live in a rural area and don't go to the grocery store every week. It's a half hour trip each way to the closest. The freezer is a way of life here. So much so, that I'm thinking of adding a second chest.

Ice cream, stocks, sauces, marrow bones for the dogs, bones for stock, veggies, meats....it all takes a lot of room.

I really don't have the space to really take advantage of bargains when they come around. At least not yet.

I have a bottom freezer fridge, and no extra freezer. I would love to get one though, such a moneysaver! The freezer really needs to be cleaned out and organized too! I've got containers of leftover sauce, broth, etc in there. Popsicles, bags of frozen veggies, frozen convenience items for the kids.

A few years back my dad shot a buffalo (only in Montana, right?), and they had the guys at the place where he got it process and pack all the meat. They walked out with 650 lbs of it total! Suffice to say my mom and dad were both cleaning out there stand up freezers! They were geographically separated due to his work location, a place so remote that my mom refused to live there. Anyway, after cleaning out both uprights, giving away to all their friends, neighbors, relatives, the local food bank, etc they still had enough meat to last for years. And the hide is probably at least as big as a queen bed comforter.

15lbs of chicken thighs ?
ill take 15lbs of wings !
my freezer is full all the time , frozen pizza's , butter, bacon, hot dogs , rolls , and microwave/toaster meals

I have a small chest freezer that is ancient, but it only cost me $40 and it works fantastic. I only know what's on top as I haven't gotten to go through it in a couple of years. I suppose there's a bunch of freezer burned things in there I'll have to toss. Mostly I only sift through the top third of it any given week. Ham, popscicles, different homemade stocks, a beef roast, porkchops. As for the rest, your guess is as good as mine.

I have a small chest freezer that is ancient, but it only cost me $40 and it works fantastic. I only know what's on top as I haven't gotten to go through it in a couple of years. I suppose there's a bunch of freezer burned things in there I'll have to toss. Mostly I only sift through the top third of it any given week. Ham, popscicles, different homemade stocks, a beef roast, porkchops. As for the rest, your guess is as good as mine.

At least all the unused stuff on the bottom helps with temperature fluctuation, and likely makes it easier to shift the top stuff; no dangling over the edge to reach the bottom. ;)

At least all the unused stuff on the bottom helps with temperature fluctuation, and likely makes it easier to shift the top stuff; no dangling over the edge to reach the bottom. ;)

Most definitely. I'm very short and once got myself hung up on the edge of the freezer by my hip bones. Wasn't sure if I was going to fall in or not. Was finally able to shift my weight so I ended up outside the freezer instead of inside. It's funny now, but at the time I was a bit worried.:ROFLMAO: Thinking of investing in an upright, might make it easier for me to keep organized.

Convenience and savings are nice but the savings are somewhat diminished if you also acquire a backup generator.
If I had the floorspace I'd add a chest freezer. Since I don't, I have to be content with a 19 cubic foot upright that spills its cold air every time it is opened.

im a price conscious buyer and when stuff goes on sale i usually stock up. my freezer is pretty full right now

10 pounds of pork butt for .89 a pound
2 racks of pork spareribs that were .99 a pound
15 pounds of chicken thighs for .77 a pound
2 whole chickens for .69 a pound
about 10 pounds of chicken breast that was .89 a pound
about 10 pounds of cross rib roast that was $1.69 a pound

I am real curious as to where you live to find such GREAT meat prices. Inquiring minds want to know.:chef:

california, i scour the weekly ads. over here our grocery stores are luckys, safeway and walmart. the ham that i just found for .59 was an in store special, i went in to buy something that was on sale and just happened to catch the sign out of the corner of my eye passing through the meat dept. the chicken thighs i just picked up yesterday from nob hill, another crocery chain - theyre also known as raleys or bel air. the whole chicken comes on sale for .69 every other month or so, .79 is the usual sale price. the breasts usual sale price is .99 but when i see it for .89 i go hog wild.

really would love a separate freezer. seems silly for one person right? but i like to get deals on family size as well . break into servings. extra bread, ice cream, frozen treat, left overs and so on. top of fridge. freezer vegs. items for soon to be used recipes. bread dough. you catch the drift. right now i have tamales taking up a lot of space. and i haven't put today delivery of meat and chicken. maybe a small chest.

Okay I'm lookin' right now, a new york strip, 1/4 bag of frozen o'brien potatos, 1lb jumbo raw shrimp, half a bag of curly fries, two lil pints of ben-n-jerrys, and ice cube trays. I'm a bachelor and don't worry about stockin' up. I usually get ideas on what I wanna make when I'm at work then hit the grocery store after I work out. Its pretty simple bein' single. Living within a mile of three grocery stores helps too.

And Babetoo why you buyin $300 worth of grocerys if you live alone? U tryin to be my polar opposite :LOL:

really would love a separate freezer. seems silly for one person right? but i like to get deals on family size as well . break into servings. extra bread, ice cream, frozen treat, left overs and so on. top of fridge. freezer vegs. items for soon to be used recipes. bread dough. you catch the drift. right now i have tamales taking up a lot of space. and i haven't put today delivery of meat and chicken. maybe a small chest.

I live alone and I have a upright freezer. I wouldn't want to do without it. I don't know how to(and don't want to) make Chili for 1. I make a family size pot, put it in small bowls and freeze. I do the same with soups. I also make up "freezer meals" for days I don't cook. Plus I do shop the sales and family packs, separate, package and freeze. I like the idea that I can pretty much pick and choose what I want to eat with out having to run to the store. I think I just really hoard food!:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom