Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appliances (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Decent Food Processor under $100? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/decent-food-processor-under-100-a-65443.html)

CjH 06-30-2010 07:00 AM

Decent Food Processor under $100?

So my Cuisinart finally broke the other day, and I've found that my blender just doesn't work well as a substitute. After checking cooksillustrated.com for reviews of food processors, I found that the only ones recommended were around $200!

Are there any decent models less than $100?

Andy M. 06-30-2010 08:23 AM

Did CI test any that were under $100? If so, what factors caused them to be rated lower and do you care about those factors?

You can also check ratings in Consumer Reports at the library. They often test products with a wide range of prices and recommend "best buys" based on price and performance.

CjH 06-30-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 905826)
Did CI test any that were under $100? If so, what factors caused them to be rated lower and do you care about those factors?

Well the first one on the list that was under $100 was the "Oster Inspire", which ran for about $70. This model was not recommended, and the description said (paraphrased):

"This unit almost got a passing grade—until it brutalized the carrots, celery, and onions in the chopping test. If you want a food processor and absolutely can't afford anything more expensive, this one is the best of the really cheap choices. Just use a knife to chop veggies."

I guess that's not too big a deal...I've never really used a food processor to chop veggies anyways.

Andy M. 06-30-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CjH (Post 905827)
Well the first one on the list that was under $100 was the "Oster Inspire", which ran for about $70. This model was not recommended, and the description said (paraphrased):

"This unit almost got a passing grade—until it brutalized the carrots, celery, and onions in the chopping test. If you want a food processor and absolutely can't afford anything more expensive, this one is the best of the really cheap choices. Just use a knife to chop veggies."

I guess that's not too big a deal...I've never really used a food processor to chop veggies anyways.

Folks can't always afford the best of everything. You can always get a good serviceable product for less money.

ChefJune 06-30-2010 09:39 AM

It's my experience that the food processors that cost less ARE less. and not worth the money you will spend.

I think I would check Craig's List in your area for someone selling a "gently used" Cuisinart or KitchenAid. You know there are some folks who just MUST have the latest model, and there have been big changes in the Cuisinart in the past few years, so I'm guessing there are a bunch of used ones available on line and at yard sales.

I've had mine since 1984 and it still has many years left in it. Not replacing it, but I know a lot of folks who have cast theirs of similar vintage aside.

gadzooks 06-30-2010 09:50 AM

When it came time for me to buy a food processor, i started checking yard sales and thrift stores. I tried several I didn't like and settled on a used Cuis' DLC 11, eight cup processor from a thrift store...$8. The next day I stopped in the same thrift store and picked up the full accessory blade set for another $4. A trip to eBay yielded a constant feed chute for $18. The DLC 7 (with all the accessory blades, total about $30) that was too big for just me and my tiny kitchen went to the church kitchen, where I still get to use it regularly when I volunteer at the homeless shelter the church sponsors. The deals are out there if you don't mind used and you don't mind a little hunting. Good luck!

MostlyWater 06-30-2010 05:08 PM

I think Hamilton Beach is less. You also might wait until the holidays when there are sales. You might also look for sometnhing on Amazon that's been refurbished.

What size do you need? You might get a smallish Cuisinarst on sale, for about that price. Or , you might just get a chopper and a mandoline, if you don't use it that much.

gadzooks 06-30-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

So my Cuisinart finally broke the other day,
Check eBay for a replacement part for your broken Cuis'. Often find the part you need there...base, bowl, lid, chute, blades, etc.

bakechef 06-30-2010 08:59 PM

I have a black and decker that I got a few years ago at Target, on sale for $39 regularly $59 (it is full size).

While not a great processor, it is very powerful and gets the job done. What I don't care for about the machine is that it is a bit loud, and the blade keeps spinning too long when pulsing. I would like a larger feed tube as well.

I am going to keep it until it dies, when I replace it, I will likely get a kitchenaid or cuisinart. I give it pretty light use, so it should last a while.

This one is similar to the one I have.
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

MostlyWater 07-01-2010 09:46 AM

it cost a lot to get replacement parts. sometimes it costs more than replacing the entire food proc.

gadzooks 07-01-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MostlyWater (Post 906049)
it cost a lot to get replacement parts. sometimes it costs more than replacing the entire food proc.

Check eBay for bargain parts. Even for obsolete machines.

babetoo 07-01-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakechef (Post 905968)
I have a black and decker that I got a few years ago at Target, on sale for $39 regularly $59 (it is full size).

While not a great processor, it is very powerful and gets the job done. What I don't care for about the machine is that it is a bit loud, and the blade keeps spinning too long when pulsing. I would like a larger feed tube as well.

I am going to keep it until it dies, when I replace it, I will likely get a kitchenaid or cuisinart. I give it pretty light use, so it should last a while.

This one is similar to the one I have.
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

that looks like the one i have. i bought it on amazon for around that price. for the light duty i give it, it works just fine.

MostlyWater 07-01-2010 03:40 PM

At Bed Bath & Bryond, which isn't discount, they had a small Cuisinart for under $100. It's doable.

n2cookin 07-02-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MostlyWater (Post 906119)
At Bed Bath & Bryond, which isn't discount, they had a small Cuisinart for under $100. It's doable.

Bed Bath & Beyond also mails out those 20 percent off coupons. That would really make it more reasonable. Our Bed Bath & Beyond also takes expired 20 percent off coupons.

Julio 07-03-2010 03:22 AM

Last year I purchased wolfgang puck's 7 cup food processor in 4 payments from HSN. It works really good and it comes with extras and a small drawer at the bottom to put all the accessories in.

Wolfgang Puck 7-Cup Food Processor at HSN.com

Right now they have it for 2 payments with free shipping.