Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   Banner Bar on bottom of screen (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f29/banner-bar-on-bottom-of-screen-83887.html)

Alix 01-17-2013 10:45 AM

Banner Bar on bottom of screen

I've been around long enough to know that you need the ads to generate revenue or the site doesn't run. I get that. I'm pretty sure the current banner on the bottom of my screen is actually a promo from DC, and I just want to know how to say "no thank you" politely and permanently. I'm getting a bit annoyed with it. It pops up every time I load DC, I can't seem to get my ABP to work on it without buggering up the rest of the page and when I click on the X to get rid of it because it blocks part of the page it boots me out of DC entirely and I need to log in again.

Help please?

Katie H 01-17-2013 11:01 AM

Amen to that, Alix. It just started on my computer, too. It's sooooo annoying and gets in the way as you noted.

I, too, would love to find out how to make it go away.

Zereh 01-17-2013 11:03 AM

I'm using Chrome with AdBlock, I do not see a banner (thank goodness!).

Alix 01-17-2013 11:10 AM

It only opens up when I load DC for the first time. I tried to get rid of it a few ways and ended up buggering up some of the OTHER banners on DC. Grrrrr! Too cranky to try and fix all my boo boo's myself, but hopefully someone else can do the job.

FrankZ 01-17-2013 12:11 PM

Alix,

Is a banner ad or is it asking for an email address for cooking tips?

Which browser (and version) are you using?

GLC 01-17-2013 12:17 PM

The facility that presents the banners is called Meerkat.
Meerkat :: A jQuery Plugin
It's a shareware plug-in available to website authors. Specifically, it's a jquery plug-in. Jquery is a Javascript library that facilitates web authoring. You will see that such banners appear on most but not all of the Social Knowledge forums, so I take it that they are part of the forum pages and under the control of Social Knowledge, rather than the forum management.

Meerkat does provide for a "don't show me this again" check box that sets a cookie so you don't ever have to see it again, but it is an option that has to invoked by, I presume, the Social Knowledge site admin. It is one of those things you accept in exchange for the free use of the forums site.

If you disable Javascrript (for Firefox, Options, Advanced, Content), you probably won't see jquery things, but, as noted, other sites may not work as wish. It's easy enough to try it and see if your other favorite websites still work properly, particularly right-click menus and window placements on pages. You can enable Javascript again, if needed.

Cerise 01-17-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankZ (Post 1230021)
Alix,

It is asking for an email address. When you click on it, it bumps you to the top of the page. Can't get rid of it. Using IE.

GLC 01-17-2013 12:23 PM

Frank, did you do something? I renenabled Javascript, and the banner did not return. It still comes up on other forums, so I assume it's been turned off, or having Javascript disabled for a while got the cookie set to not run the banner.

Alix 01-17-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankZ (Post 1230021)
Alix,

Yes it is. And I'm on Firefox version 16 or something like that.

Alix 01-17-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLC (Post 1230026)
Frank, did you do something? I renenabled Javascript, and the banner did not return. It still comes up on other forums, so I assume it's been turned off, or having Javascript disabled for a while got the cookie set to not run the banner.

Ditto! OK, I didn't do anything except complain, but the banner is gone. Thanks Frank.

FrankZ 01-17-2013 01:38 PM

Let me know if you have this issue again.

Katie H 01-17-2013 01:40 PM

I disabled javascript and the banner went away for me. 'Cept now I don't think I am able to add "smilies" to my posts.

jabbur 01-17-2013 02:54 PM

There was an announcement recently about javascript getting hacked and sending out viruses. Not sure how true it was. Never had a problem.

Steve Kroll 01-17-2013 03:16 PM

AdBlock Plus - highly recommend it. I don't see ANY ads on DC, or most other sites for that matter.

Barbara L 01-17-2013 03:27 PM

I'm glad I never got it. It sounds irritating!

MrsLMB 01-17-2013 04:14 PM

2 words .. Ad Muncher. I've been using it for years and it works incredibly well.

Zhizara 01-17-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kroll (Post 1230077)
AdBlock Plus - highly recommend it. I don't see ANY ads on DC, or most other sites for that matter.

Me either.

bakechef 01-17-2013 06:19 PM

Adblock plus gets rid of those ads at the beginning of Youtube videos too!

Kylie1969 01-18-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zereh (Post 1230001)
I'm using Chrome with AdBlock, I do not see a banner (thank goodness!).

Same here :smile:

Alix 01-18-2013 11:13 AM

Folks, thank you for all your lovely ideas, I should have spelled out Adblock Plus instead of using the ABP in my first post so you wouldn't all have thought I was doing without. I was irritated because I couldn't get the ad blocked with my AdBlock. No matter what I did it kept coming back. Man that was irritating.

I think the issue is solved now.