Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Wot's in't pan, Stan? Dinner 12/22/13. (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/wots-int-pan-stan-dinner-12-22-13-a-88355.html)

Harry Cobean 12-22-2013 02:37 PM

Wot's in't pan, Stan? Dinner 12/22/13.

6 Attachment(s)
KIPPERS!not yer wishy washy,mamby pamby,pale & flaccid,vac packed boil in the bag artificially flavoured,coloured & smoked tasteless excuses for kippers that have no more right to exist on god's clean earth than a weasel:ermm:.....no siree.nor your much vaunted but totally over-rated manx kipper.look you lot on the isle of man,you may well have three legs & cats with no tails:ermm: but,imho,your kippers are boney,skinny,over salted,over smoked and,thankfully,over there.no,my fellow gastronauts,i refer to the scottish kipper.and not just any scottish kipper,but loch fyne scottish kippers.and not just any loch fyne scottish kipper,but big,fat,juicy,oily oak/beechwood smoked loch fyne scottish kippers.no pissy wissy lemon shall ever see my kippers.nope,it's gotta be malt vinegar.not just any malt vinegar,it's gotta be sarsons malt vinegar to be precise.they've been making vinegar since 1794,so i guess they know there stuff.i use the spray because when the fine mist hits the hot kipper it evaporates & makes your eyes water,your throat burn & your nose run.it's part of the fun.bread & butter on the side,wholemeal of course & lurpak danish butter....no other!
to drink,well,it's gotta be wild turkey 81...81 proof kentucky straight bourbon whiskey.on the rocks of course.food of the gods,to be sure

Rocklobster 12-22-2013 02:40 PM

Bet that was good. I need to get my hands on some of that. The kippers, I mean.:lol:

Harry Cobean 12-22-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1329674)
Bet that was good. I need to get my hands on some of that. The kippers, I mean.:lol:

y'mean a kipper chaser after the wild turkey of course eh,rock:wink:?
the loch fyne's are the best.i mean,scotland has some of the best produce,on land and sea,anywhere in the world,imo.when i think smoked anything,i think scotland,every time:yum:!!

Rocklobster 12-22-2013 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow/low roast it using the reverse sear method. Serving it with a mushroom/demi glace sauce and going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...

Harry Cobean 12-22-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1329680)
Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow roast it. Going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...

oh boy oh boy:chef:!!man that looks good rock:yum:!missed your food & pics.good to see you are back and cookin' up a storm,as usual matey:cool:!

Rocklobster 12-22-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Cobean (Post 1329678)
y'mean a kipper chaser after the wild turkey of course eh,rock:wink:?
the loch fyne's are the best.i mean,scotland has some of the best produce,on land and sea,anywhere in the world,imo.when i think smoked anything,i think scotland,every time:yum:!!

Great tip. I will scour the land for scottish smoked products....I know where to get the wild turkey.:tongue:

pacanis 12-22-2013 03:02 PM

Kippers... Aside from Supertramp and now, I'd have never heard of them.
They look like they'd be great for munching on during the football game.

Harry Cobean 12-22-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1329687)
Great tip. I will scour the land for scottish smoked products....I know where to get the wild turkey.:tongue:

me too,tesco for kippers & bourbon!!only £18/$27 a pop.less than half the price of the equivalent quality scotch.even at full price of £23/$35 it's still & absolute gift.
Wild Turkey Bourbon Whiskey 70Cl - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Harry Cobean 12-22-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1329692)

perfect anytime mate:yum:!kippers & scrambled egg's for brekkie are another fav of mine.they also make a fabulous paté.kippers...the perfect way to lower your cholesterol & get your omega3.only £5/$7.5 kilo,less than £2.5/$4 lb.bargain!!TESCO of course:wink:!!

pacanis 12-22-2013 03:18 PM

Tesco... that's the stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap store. Right? :lol:

Harry Cobean 12-22-2013 03:24 PM

oh yeah,forgot to mention.percy pepper & karen kipper are lovers.lots & lots of ground black pepper on the kippers,before cooking.i just whack them on the top shelf of my main oven,at 275c/530f for 10 mins.that's it,no oil or fats needed.the kippers have plenty of their own,you can see the oil that has run,in the second pic,after cooking:yum:!!

Harry Cobean 12-22-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1329699)

thaaaat's the one pac.the third largest retailer in the world,on turnover:rolleyes:!

DaveSoMD 12-22-2013 03:33 PM

We're going out to dinner tonight to our favorite restaurant. I'll be having muscles for my appetizer but not sure what I'll have for the entree.

Dawgluver 12-22-2013 03:38 PM

I'm making a variation on Whiska's Totchos.

Tesco sounds kinda like our Costco or Sam's Club.

LPBeier 12-22-2013 03:43 PM

TB is getting his steak today and I will try a little more chicken, though I am not at all hungry.

Greek salad, potatoes or rice, not sure of the sides.

Aunt Bea 12-22-2013 04:33 PM

Tonight it is a cheeseburger and a salad at my house.

I have trouble deciding what to eat on the days leading up to a major holiday, it seems like all of the thought goes into the holiday meal! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

GotGarlic 12-22-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPBeier (Post 1329735)
TB is getting his steak today and I will try a little more chicken, though I am not at all hungry.

Greek salad, potatoes or rice, not sure of the sides.

I love roasted Greek potatoes with garlic, lemon and oregano :yum:

Whiskadoodle 12-22-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1329729)
I'm making a variation on Whiska's Totchos.

Tesco sounds kinda like our Costco or Sam's Club.

--

I think Totchos have gathered small legs of their own. CarolPa made these for dinner yesterday too. Hope you both enjoy(ed) them. Like any nachos, you can make any variation you prefer. What I like about them is I can't eat tortilla chips and these are chewy and just a bit crisp on the outside.

As far as Kippers and Wild Turkey. I know where to find one of the two. The only kippers I have ever seen are in a small can, like sardines and are imported from Canada. I sure would like to discover some like Harry's pics today.

I am having leftover ham from the "small ham" I made the other day. I would fear it's gathering legs of its own too, good thing I like ham. Scramble eggs.

Rocklobster 12-22-2013 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Rocklobster;1329680]Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow/low roast it using the reverse sear method. Serving it with a mushroom/demi glace sauce and going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...[/QU...OTE]

Mad Cook 12-22-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1329692)

You haven't missed much. Kippers are the work of the devil regardless or where they come from. They are one of the many forms of smoked herrings, which is weird because I love herrings and I love smoked fish but I hate kippers.

Harry's right though. Among the cognoscenti Loch Fyne kippers are considered the best.

Katie H 12-22-2013 07:30 PM

We had salmon cooked in browned butter, baked potatoes, buttered baby peas, iced tea, followed by spice cake for dessert. For some reason the salmon tasted sooooo good tonight. I could've eaten more.

Andy M. 12-22-2013 07:41 PM

Beef barley soup with mushrooms for dinner tonight.

Mad Cook 12-22-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1329699)

That's how they started but they are getting above themselves now. Trying to be an up-market grocers with expensive goods on one hand and a cheap store with poor quality on the other. ("All fur coat and no knickers" as an old northern English expression puts it). Mind you, they make a lot of money.

Tesco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not a food snob, at least I don't think I am. I'm partial to Morrisons, Aldi (both of whom have a good range, quality and variety of goods) and the Co-operative (mainly because of the Co-op's ethical sourcing policies for its own brand goods and its profit-sharing arrangements with members. It's own brand goods are, in the main, very good quality.) To be fair I like Waitrose and Sainsbury's too but they aren't as conveniently sited for where I live and they are a bit more expensive.

Tesco are poisonous in their treatment of their smaller suppliers and not much better with their staff.

taxlady 12-22-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Cook (Post 1329843)
That's how they started but they are getting above themselves now. Trying to be an up-market grocers with expensive goods on one hand and a cheap store with poor quality on the other. ("All fur coat and no knickers" as an old northern English expression puts it). Mind you, they make a lot of money.

I'm not a food snob, at least I don't think I am. I'm partial to Morrisons, Aldi (both of whom have a good range, quality and variety of goods) and the Co-operative (mainly because of the Co-op's ethical sourcing policies for its own brand goods and its profit-sharing arrangements with members. It's own brand goods are, in the main, very good quality.) To be fair I like Waitrose and Sainsbury's too but they aren't as conveniently sited for where I live and they are a bit more expensive.

Tesco are poisonous in their treatment of their smaller suppliers and not much better with their staff.

So, maybe they are more like a North American Wallmart.

taxlady 12-22-2013 10:11 PM

We had a French omelette and twice baked potatoes. Very satisfying and tasty.

Somebunny 12-22-2013 10:14 PM

I had some more turkey to use up( leftovers from the work potluck on Friday) so I made a tetrazzini and DH made a nice green salad. We taste tested the white chocolate cranberry fudge for dessert. Yummmm!

Harry Cobean 12-23-2013 02:28 AM

[QUOTE=Rocklobster;1329808]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1329680)
Scored a veal strip loin from work. I tied it up and rubbed it with a paste made up of parsley, rosemary, herb du provence, garlic, pepper, truffle oil. Now, let it sit out for another hour then slow/low roast it using the reverse sear method. Serving it with a mushroom/demi glace sauce and going to have double stuffed potatoes, and some kind of veg that I will probably leave on my plate...[/QU...OTE]

nice job:chef:!looks deelish & i'm luvvin' the use of truffle oil,one of my favs:yum:!!

taxlady 12-23-2013 02:33 AM

Roch, what's the "reverse sear method"? Whatever it is, that roast sounds yummy.

Harry Cobean 12-23-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Cook (Post 1329843)

firstly all of the big 5 have their "budget range" & their "finest range",including waitrose & sainsbury.tesco introduced their finest range at least ten years ago to my knowledge.tesco,led & the other 4 copied/followed.same with the budget range.one of the keys to tesco's success is that they are innovators.
all of the big 5 pressurise their supplies on prices/margins.the answer is simple.if you don't want to deal with tesco,then don't.if it wasn't for the big 5,how many farms,bakeries & clothing manufacturers etc would still be in business,both here & abroad?not many i'll wager,and where would their workforces be.unemployed.
i have close ties with tesco on a number of levels,in addition to being a shopper for some 40 years.they are no worse an employer than any of the other major supermarkets in my experience.they pay the national average for the appropriate job.the hours are long,the work heavy at times & of course,EVERYONE would like to earn more.but that's retailing.
the bottom line is that tesco is a model that many retailers here & abroad have tried to emulate.having been in marketing & sales myself,for nearly 40 years,i can tell you that their marketing/brand awareness is second to none,their store placement strategy is superb(apart from the american disaster!) & they offer the best range out of the big 5 on both food & none food.all of this results in huge footfall & customer loyalty.
finally,if it wasn't for tesco & the other 4 supermarket brands adopting charities,where would an awful lot of needy/unwell people be?tesco give massive support to the trussel trust who are the charity that runs the food banks that i volunteer for.
it's nearly 2014,it's the real world.you should join the rest of us.

Harry Cobean 12-23-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1329965)
Roch, what's the "reverse sear method"? Whatever it is, that roast sounds yummy.

mornin' tax.most people sear the meat at a high heat,then finish the cooking at a lower temp.this is the reverse,you cook the meat at a low temp to a desired point of "doneness" then whack up the heat towards the end of cooking,to sear it.some chefs cook meat sous/sans vide in a waterbath then finish off by searing in a hot pan.same thing.

pacanis 12-23-2013 06:08 AM

That's how I cooked my steak the other night. Indirect heat, then over the coals to finish. It's a good way to cook a thick piece of meat and achieve the same doneness all the way through, but also have that color we like on the outside.

taxlady 12-23-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Cobean (Post 1329969)
mornin' tax.most people sear the meat at a high heat,then finish the cooking at a lower temp.this is the reverse,you cook the meat at a low temp to a desired point of "doneness" then whack up the heat towards the end of cooking,to sear it.some chefs cook meat sous/sans vide in a waterbath then finish off by searing in a hot pan.same thing.

Thanks Harry.