Mysterious utensil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay-Jay

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone!

Have any of you come across something like this? I'm trying to figure out what its intended use is :P.
If it helps, it's aproximately 5.3 inches (135 mm.) long.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 325
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 278
...and the single bigger hole in the middle of the blade is used to make curls of the peel for garnish or for adding to soups, etc.

Hello everyone!

Have any of you come across something like this? I'm trying to figure out what its intended use is :P.
If it helps, it's aproximately 5.3 inches (135 mm.) long.

Cheers!
It's a canelle knife. You zest a lemon or other citrus fruits with the row of round holes and cut strips of peel off the whole fruit with the little blade on the side. Very useful.

Last edited:
Most certainly a zester :)

Bonzer Zip Zester I'd love to have a go on this one! What does everything think to this design?
Not a canelle knife. It's a peeler traditionally popular with marmalade and jam makers. You can buy them for peeling citrus fruits or peeling apples but I don't think they are interchangeable unless specifically labelled for both.

I nearly bought something similar but decided I'd use it less than its storage space was worth.

For making strips of zest rather than grating it, but it's still a zester.
Charlie is correct.

A zester only takes little shreds of the very outside of the peel for flavour, decoration etc. This actually peels the fruit taking some of the pith with it.

Last edited:
Charlie is correct.

A zester only takes little shreds of the very outside of the peel for flavour, decoration etc. This actually peels the fruit taking some of the pith with it.

I'm aware of that ( I have one), but it's only designed to take the sweet zest from the surface of the peel, not the bitter pith.

A peeler should cut all the way down to the pulp (and most peelers have a longer straight blade like a potato peeler). I suppose that this tool would take most of the peel off a thin skinned fruit like a tangerine, but not from a typical orange or lemon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom