Mar 1, 2017 Ash Wednesday, What's on your table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rgXTTypu4

This is a file video I made awhiles back, but this is what will be on our table this evening. Italian Wedding Soup, but rather than using Orzo and fresh Spinach, I'll be using Ditalini and frozen Kale. I have some lovely Roasted Garlic & Thyme bread from Trader Joe's I think I'll heat up to go along side for dipping in the broth.
MMM!
When's dinner? :chef:

What will you guys be making?

Last edited:
Homemade wide-cut pasta with a sauce of mixed mushrooms, crisped prosciutto, cream, thyme, chicken broth, and pasta water. It's a recipe from the 10/2016 Bon Appetit.

Mom and I are having walleye because Dad is going to a retired military dinner (where he is having walleye). I know apple pie will be dessert because Dad and I made one this afternoon. Not sure about the sides, yet.

Got a corned beef point cooking in my Instant pot. First time trying a corned beef from Aldi. It was $1.99/lb. so I figured I'd give it a try. ShopRite has corned beef at $5.99/lb. I hope it'd good (we love corned beef and if this is good several may make their way to the freezer). Potatoes and cabbage will accompany.
BTW this is the first time we have bought anything from Aldi. I saw the flyer on my Flipp app. They also have Kerrygold butter $2.89/8oz. block.

Last edited:
I have a couple of frozen Cod fillet's from TJ's so I'll be using our individual casseroles to bake them. Souschef will have his on a bed of rice and mine will be on a spinach bed. I'll season them with butter, lemon juice, fresh thyme, fresh chives, garlic, salt and sweet paprika. Steamed artichokes are on the menu too.

I bought a thick top round steak/London broil on sale yesterday; I also have some red potatoes and different colors of bell peppers. I'll pan-sear the meat. I have a lot of parsley volunteers in the back yard, so I think I'll make chimichurri sauce to serve with it. I'll also make potato salad and sauté the bell peppers with onions for a side. Will probably use some combination of southwestern/Mexican spices on those.

I have a couple of frozen Cod fillet's from TJ's so I'll be using our individual casseroles to bake them. Souschef will have his on a bed of rice and mine will be on a spinach bed. I'll season them with butter, lemon juice, fresh thyme, fresh chives, garlic, salt and sweet paprika. Steamed artichokes are on the menu too.

That sounds good. I could use something on the light side tonight, and I have cod filets in the freezer. I'm thinking sous vide and seared with the Searsall, and served over some rice with a touch of garlic butter and herbs.

CD

Local butcher shop had breakfast sausage links. They looked kind of cute in a tray next to their bratwurst and other fat sausages. I bought a dozen and there were 14 in the package when I got home. Thought that's a bonus until I remember they charge by the pound. I'll just go with the bonus thought and be happy.

Dinner tonight is French toast with sausages and maple syrup.

That sounds good. I could use something on the light side tonight, and I have cod filets in the freezer. I'm thinking sous vide and seared with the Searsall, and served over some rice with a touch of garlic butter and herbs.

CD

Glad you like the idea Casey. Now I'm thinking I might make some glazed baby carrots to go with the whole thing. At least it sounds pretty and colorful.

Had Quack 'n Peas tonight. :yum:

img_1501274_0_3509714a2a498a49c8993ef31fde2951.jpg

Wow kgirl....nice little video. I wanted to inhale one or two of those meatballs. :):LOL:

Great looking duck dinner, Steve!

I was going to have the last of the stuffed shells with a roasted veggie medley - but when I saw tacos mentioned in Andy's post, and shrimp on CG's menu, I was inspired and decided it's going to be a couple of shrimp tacos for dinner this evening. :yum:

I bought a thick top round steak/London broil on sale yesterday; I also have some red potatoes and different colors of bell peppers. I'll pan-sear the meat. I have a lot of parsley volunteers in the back yard, so I think I'll make chimichurri sauce to serve with it. I'll also make potato salad and sauté the bell peppers with onions for a side. Will probably use some combination of southwestern/Mexican spices on those.

GG, have you heard of Miners Mix Spices?
Back to Home
I have several that I picked up while in Cali (my mom lives not for from their place). Their veggie seasoning is excellent!

GG, have you heard of Miners Mix Spices?
Back to Home
I have several that I picked up while in Cali (my mom lives not for from their place). Their veggie seasoning is excellent!
No, I haven't. Looks good! I have a cupboard full of seasonings, so I pulled from there. I used the rest of a jar of Penzeys Fajita Seasoning and some homemade dried jalapeño on the veggies. I also put some in the potato salad, along with a diced tomato and two minced celery stalks, and Penzeys Southwest Seasoning on the steak. It turned out really good.
0301172001a_HDR.jpg

No, I haven't. Looks good! I have a cupboard full of seasonings, so I pulled from there. I used the rest of a jar of Penzeys Fajita Seasoning and some homemade dried jalapeño on the veggies. I also put some in the potato salad, along with a diced tomato and two minced celery stalks, and Penzeys Southwest Seasoning on the steak. It turned out really good.
View attachment 26317

MMM, that looks REALLY good GG!

Nice meals and pics, guys! DH brought home some pretty asparagus, 99 cents a pound! So I nuked it and whipped up some Knorr hollandaise sauce. Some leftover ham too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom