$100 bucks a month?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So use that $1800 toward your food budget.

At $12 a MEAL, you can certainly eat much cheaper in other ways.

Is the convenience worth it?

Also.. if you aren't LIVING on campus, then you probably won't be around
the cafeteria for breakfast or dinner.

Every uneaten meal on the plan is $12 wasted.

Since semesters last longer than 50 days, my guess is that the meal plan covers 2 meals a day for the 4 months a typical semester spans. You definitely want to look into the details, because it's different at every school. Be prepared that you may need to provide your own food on weekends or for breakfasts; but you could definitely do that on $100 a month.

So use that $1800 toward your food budget.

At $12 a MEAL, you can certainly eat much cheaper in other ways.

Is the convenience worth it?

Also.. if you aren't LIVING on campus, then you probably won't be around
the cafeteria for breakfast or dinner.

Every uneaten meal on the plan is $12 wasted.

Since semesters last longer than 50 days, my guess is that the meal plan covers 2 meals a day for the 4 months a typical semester spans. You definitely want to look into the details, because it's different at every school. Be prepared that you may need to provide your own food on weekends or for breakfasts; but you could definitely do that on $100 a month.
Thank you guys, And yes the meal plan is more like $5,00 breakfast, $7,00 lunch, $10,00 dinner but it's all you can eat, What I was going to do is take half my dinner home and put it in the fridge and make dinners out of the left over food I couldn't eat, depending on what it is.

That could work... best make sure you can. Most buffet places won't allow
doggie bags.

(I used to be pretty good at sneaking foods into my big winter coat pockets back in the day. Summers were not as easy, LOL)

Most college cafeterias won't let you take food out of the dining hall. Otherwise two people could be eating for the price of one. In fact, some places won't let anyone in who doesn't have a meal ticket.

Most college cafeterias won't let you take food out of the dining hall. Otherwise two people could be eating for the price of one. In fact, some places won't let anyone in who doesn't have a meal ticket.
While this is true, it is also usually very easy to sneak food out, not that I am advocating braking the rules. Also, most places will give you one ewarning and then revoke your meal plan if they catch you so you need to make your decisions wisely.

You are NOT going to be able to get a doggie bag for any kind of buffet. If, however, they provide to go boxes, they usually sell the food by weight. Left-over all-you-care-to-eat-at-one-sitting is probably not going to fly. Don't expect to get ahead by cheating the system.

Also, beware of the "Freshman Twenty" -- which is what a lot of students gain during the first year of eating dorm food. The all-you-want approach can be disastrous over time, especially when the pies are as good as they were at my college!

Also, beware of the "Freshman Twenty" -- which is what a lot of students gain during the first year of eating dorm food. The all-you-want approach can be disastrous over time, especially when the pies are as good as they were at my college!

OMG - yes, good advice. Except mine was a different kind of pie - pizza pie! Back then the extra 20 came off a LOT easier! :ermm:

i have a lunch meal plan, & they have take-away food, so i get food after class & usually take it with me for dinner. it is so worth it!

My son is living off campus, but chose the 9-meal/week plan. He's on campus for classes, so it's more convenient to stop in between classes, or if he's at the library studying. The price is worth it, it's convenient, he doesn't have to cook all his meals, and as an athlete, he can be sure to get his protein needs met.
So, at this point, you are changing colleges? Full Sail, from what I remember, is pretty expensive. When do you actually start classes?

My son is living off campus, but chose the 9-meal/week plan. He's on campus for classes, so it's more convenient to stop in between classes, or if he's at the library studying. The price is worth it, it's convenient, he doesn't have to cook all his meals, and as an athlete, he can be sure to get his protein needs met.
So, at this point, you are changing colleges? Full Sail, from what I remember, is pretty expensive. When do you actually start classes?
For the community college I start this coming Monday @ 8am Wyagal, Then as soon as the winter semester is over I will be transferring to CMU.

Your right about FullSail being exspeinve and it was a pipe dream, I had to weigh my true goals and dreams, and I've notice if I go to Cmich first I can actually buy a house and finally get away from living in any type of apartments.

I know if I did the fullsail move,I would be so poor the only way I could get on the net would be via my iphone, and I would need $400 an evxtra per month to be able to livelike I do here in Michigan.

I also know that Cmich has college apartments I can handle very well "I would only be -$50 from how I live here at my current place. But as you all know I can make some major cut backs and it would equal out.

I really hate weighing my pros & cons but you got to now aday's

Hey Chile Chef. I don't know if all colleges are like this, but the 2 times I visited my best friend in college, she/we could actually get things to go. I remember when she came back from class early one day and surprised me with my very first panini. It may be worthwhile for you to find out from the school ahead of time if they allow you to get your food to go. If you can squeeze a few extra meals a week out of it, it may be worth it, as their freshly prepared meals are probably more nutritionally sound than living on Raman Noodles and mac-n-cheese.

On a side note: You mentioned a Pell grant. I wasn't able to go to college (my grandmother left my mother a nice amount of money when she passed away, but unbeknownst to her my father was piddling it all away behind her back, probably on other women, leaving no college money for me) and have been wanting nothing more than to go back to school. I've heard of Pell grants, but I don't know how one qualifies for one, what they provide money for, and how one goes about applying. Would you be so kind as to give me a little bit of information or at least point me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get on it ASAP, as I'm still young enough (25) and don't want to wait until I just "settle" for the life I have based on the hand that I was dealt.

By the way, I live in FL, too and strongly suggest doing your grocery shopping at Publix. They are by far the cleanest and have the best quality goods. They even made AOL's list for (I think it was 8-- 4/4) best and worst grocery stores in the country (obviously as one of the best lol). They also run a lot of great sales, including buy-one-get-one often. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Oh, Apple, thank you so much for the resource! Unfortunately, sometimes one's life does force them to settle. I have no one to help me out while I go back to school; I'm still single and my mother is my only living family (my father doesn't count, as he's run out of chances) and we live together, both of our incomes being necessary. Working in the finance industry, it's been tough since the economy has gone down le toilette. I figure if I can manage to get enough assistance to also aid in living expenses, I could work from home at least part time to pick up the slack. Assuming that any programs out there would not help cover living expenses, particularly since there is another income in the household, has kept me from seeking out such resources. And yet, I'm the first person to tell someone what it means to assume... ;)

I apologize for being so long-winded, I'm just excited to have a jumping off point. I will look over the information and report back (if you're at all interested) when I know more. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide me with this resource. :heart:

No problem. If you're over a certain age (I want to say 22 or 24?), you don't have to count your parents' income. I don't think it's a household thing unless you're married.

There's options out there for non-traditional students. Talk to someone at schools you'd be interested in, even if they are too far away to commute. State universities and community colleges will probably be cheapest, and some may have programs that consist entirely of online classes. Definitely explore your options! And good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom