$100 bucks a month?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Ok here's the situation,

Right now I got like $200 + a month for gorchies after all my bills, and I'm going to be knocking it down to $100 this winter to prove to my folks I can do it when I actually move to Winter Park Fl, So my question is this? Can you get by ok with $100 for food once all your bills are paid?

Remember this my friends, I will be getting grants for my school supplies and I will be using a city bus to get back and forth with,

Hi roadfix, Right now I'm $50 shy of living on my own, that means if I can cut back on buying a lot of fruitless foods I don't need I could totally live on my own right now.

Right now I drink about 4-7 2 liters of pop/soda week and if I can cut that down from 4-7 to 2-3 there would be $20 saved, if I can stop buying spies I'm only going to be using once there is $10-$15 saved, if I can buy cheap off brand stuff, instead of buying brand named stuff I could save another $30-$50 Dollars and only try recipes I know I can make where I don't have to spend $5-$8 on spices.

That should be good start now, right?

Have you already tried and succeeded living on only $200 a month for food?

I'm not sure, buying so few groceries, that you can save $30-$50 just by buying generic brands. They're cheaper, but they're not a ton cheaper. 10¢ here, 50¢ there. Plus, this only applies to processed foods - there's not usually generic bananas or mushrooms or zucchini, you know?

Chili,
If it's just you it could probably be done.Allot yourself so much money per week.Think of a menu that can be stretched out for other meals.Stick with it.
You will also need money for the little things like soaps,foil..You know stuff :)

Do you have a crock pot?What kinds of foods do you like?Can you set aside 1 day a week to buy and prepare ahead of time?

Make things like rice and beans staples in your diet as they are inexpensive and filling and healthy. Supplement that with whatever veggies are inexpensive and you can get some meat, but use it sparingly as meat is very expensive.

Derek, that's only $3.33 per day. If you allocate 20% of that for breakfast, 30% for lunch, and 50% for dinner, that means 67¢ for breakfast, $1.00 for lunch, and $1.67 for dinner -- every day. That will be tough to do, day after day, especially if you want to be sure you get a balanced diet and enough calories to keep you going.

In July 2009, the USDA issued a report on the cost of food. Assuming that you buy the food at a market and prepare it at home, they estimated that for a male 20 to 50 years old, the monthly cost of a "thrifty" meal plan was $154.00, a "low-cost" plan was $205.20, a "moderate" plan was $251.90, and a "liberal" meal plan was $304.50 per month.

Here's the link:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2009/CostofFoodJun09.pdf

You might find the food-plan calculator discussed in this article to be helpful:

The Thrifty Food Plan Calculator - Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy - Tufts University

Other suggestions:

1. Clip coupons and shop where the store doubles them.
2. Watch for sales and stock up when you can.
3. Check to see if you qualify for food stamps.

Good luck with it!

p.s. -- On the bright side, you should be nice and thin by the time you get to Florida.

When I was vegetarian and living in Atlanta in the late 70s and trying to be frugal, I was happy if I could do $65 a month for just me. I worked the produce stands and sales and went anywhere I was invited to eat. It was still a struggle. Considering the increase in food prices, $100 a month is pretty optimistic. Be prepared to make good friends with rice and beans and forget the meat.

Have you already tried and succeeded living on only $200 a month for food?

I'm not sure, buying so few groceries, that you can save $30-$50 just by buying generic brands. They're cheaper, but they're not a ton cheaper. 10¢ here, 50¢ there. Plus, this only applies to processed foods - there's not usually generic bananas or mushrooms or zucchini, you know?
Yes I have more like a $150 a month with a $40 ebt card, and I come up a little short each month. I think it nearly rounds out to $175 and that's trying a few recipes at a time.

Totally eliminate the sodas and you'll save a bunch. I don't think I can give up my diet coke habit. I guess I could attend DCDA if forced to cut down.
Wow mate, You I would go mad if I had to totally give up on the one thing that makes me happy!

Chili,
If it's just you it could probably be done.Allot yourself so much money per week.Think of a menu that can be stretched out for other meals.Stick with it.
You will also need money for the little things like soaps,foil..You know stuff :)

Do you have a crock pot?What kinds of foods do you like?Can you set aside 1 day a week to buy and prepare ahead of time?
I do have a crock pot and I've been using it, had chicken noodle soup for a week straight and it was still tasty at the end of that week! You read my mind about making week long meals, I'm also going to be freezing roast beef, Honey turkey ham, buying up a lot of can goods when they come on sale.

Instead of buying let's say progressive tomato soup for $1,99 I'm buying value time tomato soup @$0.44 now, And if I need something like flour when I run out I can wait to refill it.

Make things like rice and beans staples in your diet as they are inexpensive and filling and healthy. Supplement that with whatever veggies are inexpensive and you can get some meat, but use it sparingly as meat is very expensive.
That's actually a good idea and I will start doing that now.

Derek, that's only $3.33 per day. If you allocate 20% of that for breakfast, 30% for lunch, and 50% for dinner, that means 67¢ for breakfast, $1.00 for lunch, and $1.67 for dinner -- every day. That will be tough to do, day after day, especially if you want to be sure you get a balanced diet and enough calories to keep you going.

In July 2009, the USDA issued a report on the cost of food. Assuming that you buy the food at a market and prepare it at home, they estimated that for a male 20 to 50 years old, the monthly cost of a "thrifty" meal plan was $154.00, a "low-cost" plan was $205.20, a "moderate" plan was $251.90, and a "liberal" meal plan was $304.50 per month.

Here's the link:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2009/CostofFoodJun09.pdf

You might find the food-plan calculator discussed in this article to be helpful:

The Thrifty Food Plan Calculator - Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy - Tufts University

Other suggestions:

1. Clip coupons and shop where the store doubles them.
2. Watch for sales and stock up when you can.
3. Check to see if you qualify for food stamps.

Good luck with it!

p.s. -- On the bright side, you should be nice and thin by the time you get to Florida.
Thanks for the link mate, Right now I've kind of been buying fruitless stuff such as self rizing corn meal I haven't even opened, and things like that I really don't need, however I will still buy grits, homeny and so on the stables I use weekely.

When I was vegetarian and living in Atlanta in the late 70s and trying to be frugal, I was happy if I could do $65 a month for just me. I worked the produce stands and sales and went anywhere I was invited to eat. It was still a struggle. Considering the increase in food prices, $100 a month is pretty optimistic. Be prepared to make good friends with rice and beans and forget the meat.
I really don't need to buy meat Bullseye, I'm pretty much a vegtarian, I probably could quit meat all together right now , this very instant if I wanted too. Basiclly the only time I have meat if I'm at burger king or if a recipe calls for it.

However I will eat fish though it's not really a meat more like a protine, but someo ne can correct on me on that, thanks everyone!

By the way, I will cut out a lot of pricey meats as well like if a recipe calls for ground lamb, I will switch the lamb to ground turkey, ground beef.

does your bill contain absolutely nothing other than food. if you add in paper goods and t.p. is a must, i don't think it can be done. i spend 300.00 a month on average just for me. but that is everything . i spend a lot on baking supplies, but cooking is my hobby. pet stuff as well. over counter meds. cleaning supplies etc. i eat well but still use club card to save money.

good luck, how old are you? what do your parents have to say about you living alone if you are over eighteen. would seem to me to be up to you

.......if I'm at burger king .
First thing you HAVE to do is give up eating at restaurants. PERIOD.
No more fountain drinks, no more sodas from the machine, no bags of chips from
the machine.

Contemplate... a 2 liter of Diet Coke is almost always less than a 20 ounce.
If you have to have a soda fix during the day, buy bulk and bring your own from
home.
Spending $1 a day on a soda is $30 a month... 1/3-1/4 of your entire food budget.

Ditto buying ANYTHING at a restaurant.

You need to research the grocery stores available to you. See if any of them do markdowns on close dated food.
The Krogers near my house does it every day at about 5pm... and I get there on time, LOL! It's a huge savings on foods and especially meats, which I get half price.

You should make a game of it and see if you can get by ONLY buying things when on sale.

Spend a week and write down EVERYTHING you spend money on, even if it's a quarter for a penny candy. Then see where you can save a buck here and there
for food!

:chef:

does your bill contain absolutely nothing other than food. if you add in paper goods and t.p. is a must, i don't think it can be done. i spend 300.00 a month on average just for me. but that is everything . i spend a lot on baking supplies, but cooking is my hobby. pet stuff as well. over counter meds. cleaning supplies etc. i eat well but still use club card to save money.

good luck, how old are you? what do your parents have to say about you living alone if you are over eighteen. would seem to me to be up to you
I'm 36 babetoo, and the reason the folks ask me to do this, because I will have no more help from SSI, foodtsamps, and the family,
and I will be cut off ssi but not my health insurance though! Oh sorry I forgot to add $100 is after all the paper goods and misc stuff.

First thing you HAVE to do is give up eating at restaurants. PERIOD.
No more fountain drinks, no more sodas from the machine, no bags of chips from
the machine.

Contemplate... a 2 liter of Diet Coke is almost always less than a 20 ounce.
If you have to have a soda fix during the day, buy bulk and bring your own from
home.
Spending $1 a day on a soda is $30 a month... 1/3-1/4 of your entire food budget.

Ditto buying ANYTHING at a restaurant.

You need to research the grocery stores available to you. See if any of them do markdowns on close dated food.
The Krogers near my house does it every day at about 5pm... and I get there on time, LOL! It's a huge savings on foods and especially meats, which I get half price.

You should make a game of it and see if you can get by ONLY buying things when on sale.

Spend a week and write down EVERYTHING you spend money on, even if it's a quarter for a penny candy. Then see where you can save a buck here and there
for food!

:chef:
Grilling Fool, Thats a good idea man. I will most certainly try that!

or do what my son is doing, his grant/college loan is enough to get a meal pln at the college. He's living off campus, but wants to make sure he's getting enough to eat, so he's purchasing a plan where he can stop in to the dining hall (lots of choices, good food, all you-can-eat) once a day, at least during the week.

or do what my son is doing, his grant/college loan is enough to get a meal pln at the college. He's living off campus, but wants to make sure he's getting enough to eat, so he's purchasing a plan where he can stop in to the dining hall (lots of choices, good food, all you-can-eat) once a day, at least during the week.
Wyogal, I may actually decide on on CMU instead of of fullsail, they have same exact program and I've found out I can do CMU better then fullsail money wise, And CMU actually have the exact program I was talking to you guys about in a different thread! Where I would be able to come in with my laptop, brainstorm for a few hours with the rest of the people in the meeting and leave. I guess it's a graphics desinger

And I can get a meal plan that has 150 meals per semsester for $1,800 I don't think that's too bad, right?

Back
Top Bottom