Basil Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew basil in containers on the patio for several years, but quit a year or so ago. I just didn't use them enough to make growing and caring for them worthwhile, although they were very pretty as ornamental plants on the patio table. It's just too hot here in the summer, and I got tired of moving them around to the shade. :)

We grew about 4 plants in various places in the garden last summer, we picked and froze heaps to last through to next summer. We also dehydrated and chopped for dry herbs. My second favourite herb behind coriander but you guys call it cilantro.

Russ

We grew about 4 plants in various places in the garden last summer, we picked and froze heaps to last through to next summer. We also dehydrated and chopped for dry herbs. My second favourite herb behind coriander but you guys call it cilantro.

Russ

We call the leafy plant cilantro, but the seeds are coriander seeds, which are ground up for use.

Cilantro is a love it or hate it herb. I am okay with it in small amounts, especially blended into things, like a salsa. On it's own, cilantro tastes like soap to me, as it does for many people. But, blended into a salsa, it adds a nice brightness to the salsa.

CD

True, Casey. I'm in the "love it" camp. :yum:

I've tried to grow cilantro here in the desert but since it's a cool weather herb, it only does well for a very short time in the coldest months and then bolts at the earliest sign of warm weather. :(

We call the leafy plant cilantro, but the seeds are coriander seeds, which are ground up for use.

Cilantro is a love it or hate it herb. I am okay with it in small amounts, especially blended into things, like a salsa. On it's own, cilantro tastes like soap to me, as it does for many people. But, blended into a salsa, it adds a nice brightness to the salsa.

CD

I know about coriander seeds as I use them with cumin seeds and fennel seeds along with a lot more,I dry roast and grind to make Garam masala.:chef::chef:;)

Russ

Im always trying to get a few extra weeks of gardening, so i often start my plants too early ( including the basil). They always look so sad in the early months, and I get nervous that the wound survive, so I continuously plant more. When the warmer weather kicks in, they all take off ( including the early ones I thought would croak) and I wind up with way much more basil than I need so I give it away. This happens every year, I just cant learn from my mistakes. During the cooler months Sept - April, I grow it indoors in my aquaponics set up so I have fresh basil all year round.

Back
Top Bottom