Best 7" Santoku Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys. Looking to buy a 7" Santoku knife to compliment by wusthoff grand prix II set. My set only has the 5" santoku and i'd like a 7.

I saw some knife test thing, and it reviewed knife sets, and the Kershaw Sun knives came in low. I wonder why this was? Make cost / value thing? Because i thought Kershaw Shun were the sharpest and highest quality. A Santoku i saw and liked was the kershaw, but not sure how the knife performs on it's own, regardless of set.

I heard that with a japanese knife like Santoku best to have japanese manufacturer.

what is best knife in your opinion? Looking to spend no more than 150 dollars for this knife.

Mylegsbig said:
what is best knife in your opinion? Looking to spend no more than 150 dollars for this knife.
The one that feels the best in my hand. I prefer Global, but others seem to just hate it...

Not talking about best as in feel of the knife, best as in sharpest and highest quality steel

A couple of questions for you, my friend ...

Would you buy a pair of shoes that didn't fit because they were made from high quality leather? Buy good quality but only if it fits your hand.

Do you really need another santuko knife? Do you have a chef's knife?

Is there a good cookware store near you (like Wms Sonoma or Sur la Table)where you can go play with the knives?

well Jenny this knife is for 2 people me and my girl. So what feels perfect for me may not be perfect for her anyway.

Im looking for hardness, sharpness, and quality mainly. I will adjust to the way the knife feels. Yeah, i got a william sonoma down the street..

Yeah i need another Santoku...the only other good knife like that i have is a 9" Chef's Knife...Too big to use for smaller tasks imo.

i need a good 7 inch blade.

http://www.dento.gr.jp/takedahamono/e-kajiya/e_ind...

Wow..this is a japanese blacksmith..3rd Generation Master Blacksmith..I don't really know if this knife is a Santoku, but it is AMAZING. These knives from Takeda score awesome reviews and are made by hand.... Whoa...just Wow. Check out this one. This is the knife i think im going to buy.

Takeda Banno-bunkabocho

img_241442_0_cb0702e3baaa2015d17caeb5739f3dfe.jpg

It's around 120 Dollars and supposedly the sharpness and hardness of the steel is crazy. You can't beat that rustic look either..this is not only a knife, but a conversation piece...... im buying it for sure now..lol

If you want it because of how it looks ....... then that's ok.

But I do expect you to post your picture in an Iron Chef costume!:ROFLMAO:

But you really might want to treat that gal of yours to lunch and a run to the cooking store. A 6 inch chef's knife isn't totally out of the question. It's rounded blade makes it easy to chop with a rolling motion.

i like the feel of a squared style santoku blade better. I will be running down to Williams Sonoma soon anyway though to get some other stuff^^ About to be doing a splurge on kitchenware.

And yeah..looks is a big thing to me..looks and knowing that was handmade in japan by a master blacksmith. Not just the looks though, those takeda knives are reviewed as being fantastic quality and sharpness

jennyema said:
A 6 inch chef's knife isn't totally out of the question.

lol you're really anti santoku aren't you? met a few of those people on the knife forum i was at.... They all say the Gyuto is better than the santoku...

here is a Takeda Gyuto.

img_241487_0_2061680246256a819e7480fba88bd57f.jpg

Looks like a cross between a chef's knife and a santoku to me.

Mylegsbig said:
lol you're really anti santoku aren't you? met a few of those people on the knife forum i was at.... They all say the Gyuto is better than the santoku...

here is a Takeda Gyuto.

img_241702_0_2061680246256a819e7480fba88bd57f.jpg

Looks like a cross between a chef's knife and a santoku to me.

I am not anti-Santuko! :ohmy: I have 2 of them, myself.

But maybe I am a cooking schoolmarm-type. An appropriately sized chef's knife which fits your hand (not like the baby size one you have) is a beautiful thing which when correctly used will serve you very well. Watch the rocking motion chefs on tv use -- you can't do that with a santuko. But you can do lots of things well, I admit that. That's why I like mine.

So to me, you saying you like it better is like hearing someone say they don't like manual-shift cars when the only one they drove was grandma's "three-on-the-tree" Dodge.

That pic looks like the opposite of a chef's knife, not a cross. Very flat blade, rounded nose, etc. Here is a comparison of chef and gyuto knives, with the gyuto looking more like a cross and less like the one in the photo.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
An appropriately sized chef's knife which fits your hand (not like the baby size one you have)

Jenn i have a 9 or 10 inch Wusthoff Chef's Knife..the baby knife i have is a Santoku, a 5 incher..and not only is it too small..for some reason..it has lost it's edge...it came with a sharpener but i don't want to use it on it as i dont know how

jennyema said:
By the way, the picture you show is not a gyuto knife. A gyuto looks more like a chef's knife. That pic looks like the opposite of a chef's knife, not a cross.

Maybe the website is messed up. Indeed that knife looks different from those Gyuto's you linked.

Or maybe he just has a different style... what would you call this knife? I dont recognize the name.

img_241706_0_cb0702e3baaa2015d17caeb5739f3dfe.jpg

This is the one i have settled on. Looks like it will perform similar to a Santoku.

Pls. note I changed the link in my post.

My only though is that that blade is really flat -- probably flatter than your santuko. I'd make sure to try it before I bought it. That knife maker presents at shows in the US -- sites on his website.

With that, I will stop giving at you, buddy :)

But do not forget your Iron Chef pics!

Let me ask this question...What will you be using this new knife for? What will you be cutting when you reach for it?

jennyema said:
If you want it because of how it looks ....... then that's ok.

But I do expect you to post your picture in an Iron Chef costume!:ROFLMAO:

But you really might want to treat that gal of yours to lunch and a run to the cooking store. A 6 inch chef's knife isn't totally out of the question. It's rounded blade makes it easy to chop with a rolling motion.

The knife is around 120 dollars. Honestly i would buy that knife even if i only used it sometimes..... I saw it and instantly fell in love with it.. Love At First Knife! I will let you know how it works out :chef:

To me it looks like it would be a great knife to use for slicing things nice and thin (like veggies and meat), but I don't think I would want to use it for chopping or anything like that.

jennyema said:
But do not forget your Iron Chef pics!

Okay you will get your bigs of Legsbig the Ironchef.

But for now you will have to settle on Legsbig and his deadly companion, Igor!

img_241724_0_3d0dcf534ea1e514a072539a8cc85250.jpg

Back
Top Bottom