Bolognese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I again recommend following Marcella Hazan's classic bolognese recipe.
Heya Jennyema :)

I have this book :)

It’s part of my cooking “book-training” I’ve set myself :)

Attachments

• 3E829B65-F307-4AD4-AE16-474AE57EE57F.jpeg
    3E829B65-F307-4AD4-AE16-474AE57EE57F.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Read it again, LOL, they are doing 1/2 onion to a 1/2 kg of ground beef. If you are doing 1.5 kg then it is only 1+1/2 onion. You could still leave it at ONE Carrot and ONE celery stalk, maybe add a 1/2 carrot and celery stalk.

But I really suggest you do their recipe as is.... with only 1/2 kg (450 g) of beef, 1/2 onion, 1 carrot, 1 celery, etc.

See what that tastes like before you start doubling and tripling the recipe.
Yeah it’s good to recalibrate by returning to the source every so often between wondering offs :)

Last edited:
Hi J (just up the road from me!)

I found Robert Carrier's recipe many years ago, and have basically never changed from it. It is unusual in that it uses lemon rind, a tiny amount of chili, white wine and cream! But apparently, not totally inauthentic. Whatever, it is a very tasty Bolognese!

I found Robert Carrier's recipe many years ago, and have basically never changed from it. It is unusual in that it uses lemon rind, a tiny amount of chili, white wine and cream! But apparently, not totally inauthentic. Whatever, it is a very tasty Bolognese!
I don't remember where I learned it, but I often put a few lemon rind peelings in spaghetti sauce and pull them out later. They do add a nice touch and the sauce near the rind tastes a bit lemony. If I am using a lemon and not in a hurry, I often peel off some rind or grate some off with a Microplane. I usually air dry them and have them in little jars with my spices. Those peeled pieces rehydrate in the sauce so that you can't tell that they weren't peeled that day.

Others have suggested what I would have suggested: Browning the meats, caramelizing yellow onion, adding some spices, salt, peppers, and lemon peel that is removed. Also, you can roast the veggies you use prior to using them. Last of all, if the flavor is flat, sometimes a small teaspoon of sugar can brighten the flavor. I don't use it often, but I have resorted when the recipe just isn't coming together.

Heeeeyyy Katy,

Yeah not far at all :) !!!

If it works it works :)

I'll give the lemon rind a go one of these days and let you know how it turned out :)

I don't remember where I learned it, but I often put a few lemon rind peelings in spaghetti sauce and pull them out later. They do add a nice touch and the sauce near the rind tastes a bit lemony. If I am using a lemon and not in a hurry, I often peel off some rind or grate some off with a Microplane. I usually air dry them and have them in little jars with my spices. Those peeled pieces rehydrate in the sauce so that you can't tell that they weren't peeled that day.
Yeah seems worth a shot :)

thank you

Others have suggested what I would have suggested: Browning the meats, caramelizing yellow onion, adding some spices, salt, peppers, and lemon peel that is removed. Also, you can roast the veggies you use prior to using them. Last of all, if the flavor is flat, sometimes a small teaspoon of sugar can brighten the flavor. I don't use it often, but I have resorted when the recipe just isn't coming together.
Yeah - I think i'll put some work into the soffrito.

I'll try and get the most out of every ingredient :)

Why are you ussing an entire tube of tomato paste when a 4½ oz tube is costing you almost 4 times the price of a 6 oz can?

I have always preferred Nick Stellino's recipes because he is Sicilian, not Italian, and the Sicilian language as well as cooking have subtle differences. Prime example: mulignan (pronounced mullin-yon) is a racial slur in Italian. In Sicilian it is an eggplant. I won't give you the equivalent Sicilian racial slur because even I find it offensive, and I am by no means easily offended.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom