Bolognese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSM83

Assistant Cook
Hiya everyone.

My bolognese is boring. Does anyone have any ideas on making it better??

6 red onion
4 carrots
4 celery
4 slices of pork belly (thick skin removed)
1 tube tomato paste
6 cans chopped plum tomatoes
2 cups red wine
7 chicken stock cubes
1.5kg ground beef

• I chop the pork belly up, fry.
  • Onions - chop in food processor and sweat with pork belly
  • Carrots and celery - food processor and sweat with onions and pork
  • Add tomato paste tube and cook off a bit
  • Add wine - cook off alcohol and reduce
  • Add ground beef, brown
  • Add the plum tomatoes mix all up
  • Add 7 stock cubes (I make my own chicken stock)
  • Cook for a while - then let sit in fridge for a couple days to improve flavour.
When I taste it, it doesn’t blow your mind, it’s not bad - just sort of “nice”.

Has anyone got any improvements??

I don't eat meat so I really cant comment, but I was watching something the other day on television, and this old Italian guy, who has a restaurant in Italy said that a true Bolognese Sauce has no tomatoes ( or tomato product ) in it at all. He continued to make his sauce , which I didn't pay too much attention to, since I knew I wouldn't be earring it . I don't know who this guy is, or how much validation to put into his statement or sauce . I'm sure someone with more experience and knowledge than I have will come up with something.

Oregano? Red peppers (not too much, just to give it a zing!).

Edit:
forgot the bay leaf... adds a bit of "je ne sais quoi"

Last edited:
I've heard that 1/2 cup of Evaporated Milk is a good addition. For me, I would switch the red wine to a dry white wine. Just my preference. I would try some herbs and seasonings too...maybe Italian Seasonings and Chili powder...garlic and/or garlic powder...

This recipe from Marcella Hazan probably won’t blow your mind but it will fill you up.😉

The small amount of nutmeg is a nice touch.

If you have access to a good quality Parmesan cheese rind toss it into the sauce and let it simmer or stir a small handful of good quality grated cheese into the sauce, off the heat, just before serving.

Good sauce deserves good pasta and good cheese. Try using a hearty imported Italian tube or wide ribbon pasta and a good quality imported Italian cheese.

ok everyone - thanks for the replies.

I'll give those bits a go :)

The cheese rind idea is good, and I'd like to switch the wine too :)

Don't know which wine you were using before, but if you are trying another red wine vs a white, be sure it is a "robust" wine to add more flavour depth. I use a Merlot (middle of the road 'robust') because I make it and is really the only one I enjoy when aged. But that's just me, your choice should also be one that you would drink with your meal (so buy 2 bottles!). :LOL:

Don't know which wine you were using before, but if you are trying another red wine vs a white, be sure it is a "robust" wine to add more flavour depth. I use a Merlot (middle of the road 'robust') because I make it and is really the only one I enjoy when aged. But that's just me, your choice should also be one that you would drink with your meal (so buy 2 bottles!). :LOL:
I use a merlot. :)

There's no salt in the recipe. That can definitely result in a bland sauce.
salt and pepper to taste.

When i eat it, i actually add 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce too but my basic bolognese comes out bland and boring.

I can think of several reasons to try;
My technique making the soffrito is bad.
My ratios of ingredients are off.
My ingredients are bland to begin with (supermarket stuff - but thats the best i have available to me)

The recipie i am using - contains the authentic ingredients.
Italian chamber of commerce
https://www.bo.camcom.gov.it/it/blog/depositata-la-rinnovata-ricetta-del-vero-ragu-alla-bolognese

????

two things jumped out at me -

red onions - I don't like how they cook - raw in salads, etc. works for me, but cooked/fried they really lose their identity.
I'd go with plain ole' yellow onions, for a touch of zing....

"Add ground beef, brown" - recommend browning the beef by itself - 'browning beef' does not mean making it turn color - just like searing a steak or crisping a roast, you want some noticeable dark on the bits of ground beef. I like to see about 50% of the crumbles have a darker crust. that "searing" / caramelization adds enormously to the sauce.
(edit to correct 0% to 50%)
fresh tomato, as available . . .

don't have a pix of browning ground beef - but this is for beef stew - the browning continued a bit after the second pix to get more cubes with more color . . .
brown1.jpg

Last edited:
You know, I don't think you are doing anything really wrong. Supermarket stuff, although maybe not just picked up from the farm, is still fresh enough, especially for a sofrito. It's a flavour base/enhancer. Unless you are using waaay too much oil, or burning it, which you would know when you smell and taste it. Low and slow to draw out the flavours.
If you are following a TNT recipe your ratio's are probably not off either.
So personally I think you are just bored with it LOL - try another recipe.

two things jumped out at me -

red onions - I don't like how they cook - raw in salads, etc. works for me, but cooked/fried they really lose their identity.
I'd go with plain ole' yellow onions, for a touch of zing....

"Add ground beef, brown" - recommend browning the beef by itself - 'browning beef' does not mean making it turn color - just like searing a steak or crisping a roast, you want some noticeable dark on the bits of ground beef. I like to see about 0% of the crumbles have a darker crust. that "searing" / caramelization adds enormously to the sauce.
Thank you - I hadn't thought about the onion thing until you said it.

I could make two soffritos - one with red and the other with yellow and see whats the best eh??!! :)

Thanks again

Just gone back over it again. You are not using ground beef, they have almost a pound in there. Why are you using so many onions? Yeah - your ratio's are off to their recipe, even if you are doubling, or making it triple.

Go back and follow thier recipe exactly and see if it is not better.

You know, I don't think you are doing anything really wrong. Supermarket stuff, although maybe not just picked up from the farm, is still fresh enough, especially for a sofrito. It's a flavour base/enhancer. Unless you are using waaay too much oil, or burning it, which you would know when you smell and taste it. Low and slow to draw out the flavours.
If you are following a TNT recipe your ratio's are probably not off either.
So personally I think you are just bored with it LOL - try another recipe.
ahhh hahahaha

Maybe thats true !!!

Just gone back over it again. You are not using ground beef, they have almost a pound in there. Why are you using so many onions? Yeah - your ratio's are off to their recipe, even if you are doubling, or making it triple.

Go back and follow thier recipe exactly and see if it is not better.
Yeah you're right.
Rechecking the original bolognese recipie my ratios have wondered off a little!!

1.5kg ground beef should be about 4 onions. Not 6.
Carrots and sticks of celery should be 4.

Read it again, LOL, they are doing 1/2 onion to a 1/2 kg of ground beef. If you are doing 1.5 kg then it is only 1+1/2 onion. You could still leave it at ONE Carrot and ONE celery stalk, maybe add a 1/2 carrot and celery stalk.

But I really suggest you do their recipe as is.... with only 1/2 kg (450 g) of beef, 1/2 onion, 1 carrot, 1 celery, etc.

See what that tastes like before you start doubling and tripling the recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom