Butt and Brisket help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerrychang

Assistant Cook
I have a 15 pound brisket and a 7 pound butt. I have a WSM. How can I cook them both. What is the best configuration (what on top, what on bottom). How long should I cook. I usually go about an hour per pound at 225-250. HELP must feed tomorrow. PLease

What is a "WSM"?

Season them and cook them slowly around 225 degrees (F). For brisket, I often season mine with S&P, place it in a baking pan lined with lots of heavy-duty aluminum foil with extra foil hanging off the sides, place lots of sliced onions on top of the brisket, add about 1/4 cup of beef stock, then seal the brisket completely in the aluminum foil. Bake at 225 for about six to eight hours. It is so moist and tender, it just falls apart.

Hope that helps some. There is a lot of information below in various threads relating to smoking and the like. You might do a search, as well, using the function at the top of the page. There is a lot to read and some great advice from real pros.

Good luck!

A WSM is a Weber Smokey Mountain.

I would put the brisket on bottom, butt on top.

Mmmm..Audeo's recipe sounds great! I know this is probably too late, but I had to add my two cents..LOL. I sometimes stud my brisket with lots of garlic cloves, salt and pepper it, of course, then top it with a sauce of ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, paprika and onions..cooking it long and slow, covered with foil until the last hour. Long and slow are the two key words when cooking or braising a Brisket.

Anyway, the garlic cloves become tender and sweet, melting into the meat. while some of the sauce seeps into the holes where the cloves were stuck in. It has a slight BBQ'y goodness to it. OK, I think I'm drooling now!

BTW..I just realized I have a smoker too! I've never used it, but now I think I'm going to try it..as I've had this recipe saved for ages....

BBQ Brisket

1/2 cup ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 trimmed brisket with a layer of fat at least 1/4-inch thick, about 5 to 6 pounds
Dark Beer Mop, recipe follows

Mix together the spices in a small bowl. Rub the entire brisket with the spice mixture, place on a baking sheet, cover and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.

Prepare the smoker according to manufacturer's directions. (add whatever soaked smoking chips you like..I would use something mild, such as apple) Place the brisket in the smoker, fat side up and smoke for 4 to 5 hours or until extremely tender. Baste with the mop every 30 minutes.

Dark Beer Mop:
1 large red onion
4 cloves garlic
2 serrano chiles, chopped
4 bottles of dark beer
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

Back
Top Bottom