Cabbage roll soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angel101

Assistant Cook
It's a cold rainy day perfect for a big pot of hot soup simmering on the stove!! any one have a good recipe for cabbage roll soup, I have had it out but never tried to make it at home but today's the day :)

I personally don't have one - there are MANY variations out there on the www. Do you want the cabbage actually stuffed and then cooked in the broth or one where you throw in all the ingredients normally used in stuffed cabbage?

In the meantime (well, not actually because you posted this yesterday, sorry) here is a link to a recipe of mine that is really, really good.

Sausage and Cabbage Soup

here's one of my rainy day soups, and I live in Washington, so there are plenty of them!

Colcannon Soup
Recipe courtesy Chef Kevin Dundon, Nine Fine Irishmen, Las Vegas

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

2 ounces diced slab bacon
1 chopped white onion
1 leek sliced, sliced
1/2 pound waxy-style potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 Savoy cabbage, cored and sliced
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups vegetable stock
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons diced unsalted butter, at room temperature

Put the bacon in a pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon renders its fat.
Lower the heat to medium. Add the onion, leek, potato, and cabbage and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the stock, bring to a boil, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Lower the heat and simmer until the potato is tender. Add the cream and simmer for a few minutes until the soup achieves a creamy texture. Remove from the heat and finish by whisking the butter cubes into the soup.
(Don't re-boil the soup after adding the butter into it, or it will curdle.)

Good Luck!

I'd never make cabbage roll soup as a primary meal. I make cabbage rolls, then when there are leftovers (I make tons), I chop them up into some chicken broth, a can of tomatoes, and lots of paprika.

wasabi woman said:
here's one of my rainy day soups, and I live in Washington, so there are plenty of them!

Colcannon Soup
Recipe courtesy Chef Kevin Dundon, Nine Fine Irishmen, Las Vegas

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

2 ounces diced slab bacon
1 chopped white onion
1 leek sliced, sliced
1/2 pound waxy-style potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 Savoy cabbage, cored and sliced
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups vegetable stock
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons diced unsalted butter, at room temperature

Put the bacon in a pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon renders its fat.
Lower the heat to medium. Add the onion, leek, potato, and cabbage and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the stock, bring to a boil, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Lower the heat and simmer until the potato is tender. Add the cream and simmer for a few minutes until the soup achieves a creamy texture. Remove from the heat and finish by whisking the butter cubes into the soup.
(Don't re-boil the soup after adding the butter into it, or it will curdle.)

Good Luck!

I love Colcannon. My husband and I live with my folks so it isn't easy for me to make all the stuff I would normally make for us. My folks are very set in their ways. But
I make cabbage rolls, but not soup. However I make lots of gravy out of tomato sauce when I cook the cabbage rolls. You could just add diced potatoes to the sauce and not serve it over mashed potatoes like I usually do.

Back
Top Bottom