Can I make this recipe without sous vide? [turkey pastrami]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting read Seeing. Off the top of you head - how do you visualize replicating the sous-vide part of the cooking. From the sounds of it yes, you could. But the whole idea of the sous-vide was to eliminate the time it took to get to that stage. So - I'm not really an expert in that department, but off the top of my head I would say no.

Some turkey pastrami recipes don't do anything after the roasting/smoking step. If the internal temperature as reached 160 deg F, it's cooked. Some say let it rest in the fridge for 2 days. Some say simmer for 90 minutes in water. So you really can do what you please.
If you want to continue to cook it because it hasn't reached an internal temperature of 160 deg F then you want to take a step to do that after roasting/smoking.
Some recipes say to freeze the pastrami for at least an hour before cutting to make slicing it more uniform and easier.
If you want to replicate 145 deg F in water, you can probably do that in an instantpot. Or you can vacuum seal it with water and put it in a dehydrator at 145 deg F. Or keep a pan of water with it going at 145 deg F-though that will be time consuming to have to check the temperature constantly.

I don't know, turkey does nothing for me and if I'm going to make pastrami it's going to be beef with a decent amount of fat and my cure is generally 9 to 11 days and not 5. Also sous vide meat when it's presented whole like turkey or chicken breast I find the product underwhelming and spongy, which I'm sure isn't detectable after it's cut thinly, nevertheless, no fat no taste as far as I'm concerned. I've had really good results with sausage for sous vide. The only way this makes any sense is, if it's cut thin enough that it isn't tough and I suspect adding condiments like mayo, mustard anything really would give it more moisture and mouthfeel. Sorry, not a fan. :)

nice. so i will go with the smoking step.

can you tell me..
1 do i must leave it in the fridge before smoking with all the seasoning? won't the turkey go bad for a few days in the fridge?
2 what temperature do i need the grill to be? what if the temperature rises a bit? how to lower it? with some water on the coals?
how to lit the wood chips if i don't have a torch?

thank you

ok, i found the answer for 1.. i will not wet brine it. just dry rub it with spices [do i need oil to stick the spices to or not?]..

but when it comes to temperature. what should the temperature be when making the entire process on the grill in low temp?
and also. for such temperature. how many layers of charcoal do i need with this method so it's not too hot or not hot enough?

i will also use a tin with hot water in the grill beneath the chicken.

How long do you plan to dry brine it for? When I put a dry rub, including salt, on beef brisket and left in the fridge for a week, the brisket started getting wet after about a day and was sitting in liquid by day two.

i will put the spices and immediately smoke it..
i saw a guy on you tube doing that..
when i wet brined chicken in the past it was not good when eating

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom